Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Mike Penny was the mastermind behind those teams in the early to mid 80’s. Probably the best in his position in the history of the team.

Even DeBoer had a sketchy draft record.

Reactions: bobber and Gondrex

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What’s the worst that could happen? He graduates are we select another high end import who plays next year.
Well, if you hold on to Mesar in the hopes he is back, then the import selection might be a high end guy who would be more likely to report fall 2024. Might end up with no replacement next season if Mesar sticks in the AHL. That would be worst case.

Whereas if Mesar is traded, the import selection change to select someone more likely to come fall 2023. Plus of course whatever the return is.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well, if you hold on to Mesar in the hopes he is back, then the import selection might be a high end guy who would be more likely to report fall 2024. Might end up with no replacement next season if Mesar sticks in the AHL. That would be worst case.

Whereas if Mesar is traded, the import selection change to select someone more likely to come fall 2023. Plus of course whatever the return is.
mesar is a 1st and signed, they can still make a pick and keep his rights. hold onto him until they know what they want to do with them.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'm going to say this once: do not post copywritten articles, ESPECIALLY those behind a paywall. It's a good way to get us sued, and it's fantastic way to get your account banned.

If you need more details, please read #6 here: Terms and rules

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Can't argue with Hage's logic. Since 2015 University of Michigan has had 15 NHL first round picks play for them.
Hage looked great in the Ranger rookie camp. Seemed to set up plays every time he touched the puck. Scouting report on him also says he is a 200-foot player that defends well also. Rangers haven't been great at scouting high end NHL prospects. I guess Hage would have been a feather in MM's cap if he reported.

Mar 12, 2009
Hage looked great in the Ranger rookie camp. Seemed to set up plays every time he touched the puck. Scouting report on him also says he is a 200-foot player that defends well also. Rangers haven't been great at scouting high end NHL prospects. I guess Hage would have been a feather in MM's cap if he reported.
yup but he hasn't played a single game of non-rookie camp or AAA hockey (outside of 1 really good OJHL game) since because he got injured almost as soon as he started playing against USHL level/aged players. If he gets reports and is injured and we don't see him on Ranger ice until January at the earliest, I don't think we'd be all that high on it.
You can't predict injury that well, but I was ok with the move on draft day and with hindsight of the last few months, I'm even more ok with how it worked out...provided MM increases scouting efforts and interviewing players/families to make the 2 first rounders really count this summer.

Rangers have quite a few higher end NHL draft prospects (unless 2nd round is too low, we've had decent success picking out talented guys), it's how little they improve when they get on our ice that seems to be the main issue.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
According to Josh Brown, Mesar out for tonight's game with an upper body injury. Even more depleted than the last game. Hopefully we see the same effort, though.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Most fans would like to this team play some solid hockey this season. It would give them hope going forward
According to Josh Brown, Mesar out for tonight's game with an upper body injury. Even more depleted than the last game. Hopefully we see the same effort, though.
Are all these players being injured at practice now? They have had issues with this in the past. Not a good time for this struggling franchise to have all these players out injured.

Reactions: TheBlueMonster
Mar 12, 2009
Most fans would like to this team play some solid hockey this season. It would give them hope going forward

Are all these players being injured at practice now? They have had issues with this in the past. Not a good time for this struggling franchise to have all these players out injured.
I think he just has a migraine from Dennis trying to drill his "system" into his head.

Now I do think Mesar is struggling a bit with getting used to the smaller ice and more constant physical play, but boy did he come in with a ton of energy and the more familiar he's gotten with the system, the more his energy and creativity seems completely drained.

This season is pretty much a write off. We could realistically have 2 picks in the top 11, and a bunch of 2nds and 3rds over the next couple of years if we sold.

Mar 12, 2009
This team just sorely lacks talent. That’s the biggest issue of the long list of issues. Just a collection of vanilla players. It’s actually remarkably hard to draft so many players without any standout attributes. That is like bizarro scouting.
I think you're being a little too harsh on vanilla by comparing it to this team. Vanilla is a perfectly good flavour. This team dreams it was as good as vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad