Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
11 (211th)John MooneyC5.0513403/08/2007Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 16U (Youth USA-NEPACK)West Mifflin, PA
Winner of the Steve Spott Limbo contest. This has to be a favour for someone. That is one small player.
Quick question. Rangers drafted a big defenseman from Alberta. It even says he was born there. How did that happen?
Seems to me that league wide there were a lot more small players drafted this year than usual.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Kaden Schneider. Calgary hometown. Played his hockey out west this year. How is he eligible for the OHL draft?
Just asking.
Schneider is listed as a defenseman for the Ontario Combine where all the top players gather after the draft. I believe these are the kids that make up Team Ontario. I think they called it the Gold Cup at one time. Not sure. We use to buy tickets for it when it was held at Activa. Got to see some Ranger picks there and other top picks from all the franchises.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Rangers take a goalie in the 6th round. I like that. Anywhere between round 4 to 8 I’d be happy with their first goalie taking. 8th goalie taking in the draft so still a top 10 goalie at his age. And he could be anywhere from 2nd (the top guy seems ahead of everyone) to 50th best in his age group when he hits 19 years old. Goalies can be tough to predict.

Stark I’m hearing is a flyer. He should of been drafted way ahead of pick 47.
This may have been buried earlier.

Rumours about Stark going to the U.S. but here's his quote:
“It’s pretty crazy an honour to get drafted to such a prestigious organization like Kitchener. I’m really excited,” said Stark. “They’re super professional, everything was amazing, top of the league in all categories. It’s really a spectacular place and I cannot wait to get started.”

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Everything I read has Stark as a 8 to 15 overall in this draft. So we got 3 1st round picks out of this draft which is huge.

I’m not convinced Brady Martin reports to SSM. MM should be working the phone already.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Everything I read has Stark as a 8 to 15 overall in this draft. So we got 3 1st round picks out of this draft which is huge.

I’m not convinced Brady Martin reports to SSM. MM should be working the phone already.
I think Martin will go. At any rate do we have the truck load of draft picks to trade for him if he was available?

Reactions: bobber
Mar 12, 2009
Heaviest player drafted so far is 167lbs. Average height and weight of players (not including goalies) 5’9” and 157lbs through 10 rounds - 9 players.

It’s cheaper to trade for size and grit then talent so I don’t mind it but I’d like to see some bigger players taking in last 5 rounds.
most of them are 15 and haven't had a summer with OHL team direction. It's a non issue to me, not to mention big guys are no sure thing; some of them end up having benefited at AAA with their physical maturity and don't translate in the bigger, stronger OHL.

chawclitt

Apr 10, 2023
11 (211th)John MooneyC5.0513403/08/2007Pittsburgh Penguins Elite 16U (Youth USA-NEPACK)West Mifflin, PA
Winner of the Steve Spott Limbo contest. This has to be a favour for someone. That is one small player.
Quick question. Rangers drafted a big defenseman from Alberta. It even says he was born there. How did that happen?
I think he is a flyer - if he actually came to the OHL he's a first-round talent easily

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Mar 12, 2009
US measurements are even sketchier than Canadian AAA. I think that's about what Marner was drafted at (not to say they're the same quality of player, just a note on how things change with 15 year olds).

Mar 12, 2009
I get that but if you are deciding between a 5’8” and a 6’2”…take the bigger kid moving forward. Sometimes those tall, lanky, thin kids take a little time to get used to their height. Yantsis being an example I think.
Sometimes they benefited at the AAA level due to their size and don't have the skill or skating to have the same impact at the OHL level. Yantsis was 5'10 at the draft loll (that's what he was listed at during Guelph's rookie camp). I see it every year with this draft and the NHL, but I kind of roll my eyes when we're worried about 15 year olds being average male height when the odds of growing an inch or a few from 15-17 years old are high.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think Martin will go. At any rate do we have the truck load of draft picks to trade for him if he was available?
Martin stated he only wanted to play for one of Owen Sound, Guelph or Kitchener. Both the Attack and Storm likely look to contend in 23-24. If that’s the case, they may be more inclined to use draft pick capitol to go all in on vets.

The Rangers, on the other hand, are entering a rebuild that would have them trading off vets for picks and youth.

If Martin doesn’t sign and becomes defective, Kitchener may be have the inside track on acquiring him.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Martin stated he only wanted to play for one of Owen Sound, Guelph or Kitchener. Both the Attack and Storm likely look to contend in 23-24. If that’s the case, they may be more inclined to use draft pick capitol to go all in on vets.

The Rangers, on the other hand, are entering a rebuild that would have them trading off vets for picks and youth.

If Martin doesn’t sign and becomes defective, Kitchener may be have the inside track on acquiring him.

Despite the Soo missing the playoffs, they are entering a window With Bryce Maconnel Barker (Spelling?)

Would they have interest in Rehkopf considering he'll be there for multiple seasons?

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would think they might. He’d be an elite sniper next year and as an 05, if they found themselves out of contention approaching the ‘25 deadline, they could move the 19 year old Rehkopf for very good return.

Despite the Soo missing the playoffs, they are entering a window With Bryce Maconnel Barker (Spelling?)

Would they have interest in Rehkopf considering he'll be there for multiple seasons?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Rehkopf for Martin? I think we would have to add as Martin is elite.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rehkopf for Martin? I think we would have to add as Martin is elite.

If the Rangers move Rehkopf at the next deadline, no doubt they’d be looking for Owen Beck calibre return or the equivalent.

Beck brought Missy:
Jack Van Volson (1st round #6 2022)
Justin DeZotte (2nd round #35 2021)
2x2nds. 3rd. 4th.

Would Van Volson be considered elite? The same way Martin is?

Remember, Rehkopf wouldn’t be a rental. They’d get 1.5 years of him and could move him after next year for large return.

And could Rehkopf be of the calibre that Beck is? Tough to tell.

The Soo may be able to get a better player than Rehkopf in such a deal. But if Martin is still a Hound in January, he’ll decide where he goes. Of the three teams he wanted to play for, the Rangers will be the only one selling off high end vets at the deadline.

OHLFAN2001

Apr 22, 2023

Unfortunately what you are reading isn't correct. Although stark is a quality MM player, he has hit his ceiling. Many others will surpass him in the next couple of years.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Mock drafts for Stark. Seems like a lot of people are wrong….

Elite Prospects 11th
Hockey World 12th
OHL Prospects 16th
Recruit Scouting 19th

Regarding Stark, here's just a small sampling from the notes taken by Recruit Scouting at the OHL Cup from this site..... Notes from the 2023 OHL Cup - Recruit Scouting :

"Stark should be high on peoples' lists because he’s a well rounded but also high-tempo player"

You can read more on Stark and a few other Ranger picks in that link.

Hey, I don't pretend to know any better than anyone else, and yes some kids turn out to be disappointing. However, with the information I've read so far, I personally believe at this early stage that the Rangers could have done worse with their first round selections and other picks. We'll see. I will say that I do have a better "after-draft" feeling from this draft compared to some of the others - 2020 comes to mind....and then there was of course the Hage / Longacre let-down by the time training camp rolled around last year.

This draft wipes the slate clean. New beginning. As mentioned before, I personally believe that the selections from this draft and good scouting / picking in next year's are key to the success of that Mem Cup bid down the road.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Sometimes they benefited at the AAA level due to their size and don't have the skill or skating to have the same impact at the OHL level. Yantsis was 5'10 at the draft loll (that's what he was listed at during Guelph's rookie camp). I see it every year with this draft and the NHL, but I kind of roll my eyes when we're worried about 15 year olds being average male height when the odds of growing an inch or a few from 15-17 years old are high.
I forget who the player was that the Storm drafted but I believe he was one foot taller by the time he skated for them a year later. Rehkopf as an example was listed a various heights on different articles.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think counting chickens hasn't always worked out that well for the Rangers recently. Look at what hatched this season. :baghead:
These odds posted on another thread are the approximate odds of players making an OHL franchise in their draft year.
1-3 rd round- over 90% chance
4-10- coin flip 50%
11-15- have a 15% chance of dressing for an OHL game
Last season we had one 3rd rnd pick make the squad in Bottineau. In a supposed rebuild year it will be interesting to see who ends up on the Rangers when the regular season starts. Not much info on last years drafted players as far as stats and development. I think Bottineau was okay given the coaching and ice he received in Kitchener. IMO Morey wasn't OHL caliber. Too easily pushed off pucks. Never saw much of Blair. I think he was a myth. Rookie camp is great. Some players stand out but they are amongst their peers. Hard to get a handle on their potential until you see them against vets.

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
..........Rookie camp is great. Some players stand out but they are amongst their peers. Hard to get a handle on their potential until you see them against vets.

Agreed, and even then, likely not until a number of weeks into the season.

If you're a stats junkie, here are the totals from a few of last years draftees:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Regarding the importance of this and the next draft, arguably the upcoming import draft seems less important (relatively speaking), as I think it is doubtful the import(s) selected this June would be there in that future Mem Cup season. Perhaps they go with an older import this time round since there will already be so many rookies (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad