Player Discussion Kirill Maksimov

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I looked back a few pages and didn't see a thread on him. He's doing well enough, Kirill deserves one.

2015-16Saginaw SpiritOHL546152118-841232
2016-17Saginaw SpiritOHL3761016269----------
2016-17Niagara IceDogsOHL291572215-1044046
2017-18Niagara IceDogsOHL62344680722310461016
2018-19Niagara IceDogsOHL6340397911838
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He's really developed nicely. 40 goals!

In the recent OHL coaches poll he got 3rd in the eastern conference. :thumbu:

Hardest Shot:
Eastern Conference:

1. Arthur Kaliyev, Hamilton Bulldogs (26)
2. Nicolas Mattinen, Oshawa Generals (25)
3. Kirill Maksimov, Niagara IceDogs (21) <----- that's our man!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I am surprised that this kid is not talked about more by Oil fans. I am very high on Kirill. His shot is quite amazing, and he is developing into a complete 200ft player. I would be shocked if Kirill does not make waves in the AHL next season.

The fact that he ran in place points wise the last two seasons in the OHL is a bit of a warning flag for me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am surprised that this kid is not talked about more by Oil fans. I am very high on Kirill. His shot is quite amazing, and he is developing into a complete 200ft player. I would be shocked if Kirill does not make waves in the AHL next season.

No real surprise. Oilers fans are well aware of how much this org has chronically botched development of its Russian players and including Yakupov and Slepychev in recent years. Its to the point that many Oilers fans don't even want the team to pick Russian players. When this orgs deals with a Russian player properly I will revise my opinion on their inability to do so.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He's been discussed quite a bit in the prospect threads, lots of people are very high on his potential. I'm in that group, but his loss of discipline this season worries me. Sounded like he was taking a lot of stupid, selfish penalties this year. He'll have to tone that down a lot as he turns pro or he'll find himself on the bench quite a bit.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He had a bit more of a reduced role behind Robertson-Thomas-Tomasino this season.

I'm sure there are reasons for it. Just seems like when you look at guys that succeed at the NHL level they just get better season over season.

When a prospect fails to do so it might be a tell.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
2 years ago at camp, he was looking really good along with Saifin. Last year, both of them fell off a little and Todd had them playing 4th Line . Hopefully , he can figure it out. I think we have a player here . I’ll be checking out Saifin tonight in Halifax up close

Reactions: nabob

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
No real surprise. Oilers fans are well aware of how much this org has chronically botched development of its Russian players and including Yakupov and Slepychev in recent years. Its to the point that many Oilers fans don't even want the team to pick Russian players. When this orgs deals with a Russian player properly I will revise my opinion on their inability to do so.

He's spent quite a few years of his life here. I believe his parents are professors or something like that and he moved to Canada when he was relatively young. I'm not sure of the whole story, but he played Bantam and Midget in Toronto.

I get the concern with Russian players, but Kirill is a bit of a different case. He seems quite committed to playing in North America.

I'm worried about his reputation for losing his cool and taking bad penalties, but the kid can score.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
The fact that he ran in place points wise the last two seasons in the OHL is a bit of a warning flag for me.

It was for me too, but after hearing reports of him sacrificing offense to play a more two-way role (backchecking, pk'ing) it doesn't worry me too much.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm sure there are reasons for it. Just seems like when you look at guys that succeed at the NHL level they just get better season over season.

When a prospect fails to do so it might be a tell.
He’s improved his all around game a ton this year. He’s a beast on the PK now aswell

Reactions: Konami McDavid

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton

True that his points haven't shot up, but look at his goal totals. They have consistently increased. Also consider that his PP time dropped quite a bit once he became one of Niagra's better penalty killers. Another point that excites me.

Reactions: McCanovin

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
He's been discussed quite a bit in the prospect threads, lots of people are very high on his potential. I'm in that group, but his loss of discipline this season worries me. Sounded like he was taking a lot of stupid, selfish penalties this year. He'll have to tone that down a lot as he turns pro or he'll find himself on the bench quite a bit.
I think he will with maturity. But I agree with your concern.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A year or 2 in Bakersfield will help him imo. They seem to be a very tight knit group that would hold him responsible for his dumb penalties. I think that will help.

Reactions: McCanovin

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Anyone else really excited for this kid ? Oilersnation has posted a discussion Jason Gregor had with Howson.
They talk about maximov and his tough play. Sounds like we may have someone here to score goals and piss people off.

This was my hope for him as well.

However reading the prospect thread throughout the year had me worried. I was thinking he would be the kind to walk the line to get under opponents skin, while being able to score as well, but instead it just sounded like he takes dumb penalties that made me think of Pouliot, except more of a hothead in terms of retaliatory penalties.

I haven't actually watched him play, so my opinion is based solely on the discussions about him in the prospect thread throughout the season though, so it could be off.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'm quite high on Maksimov. I think he'll round into a dependable 2-way 2nd/3rd line winger who can put up 20-25 goals a season. That's my hope, anyway, and I've liked what I've seen of him for the most part, or at least see the potential is there.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I'm quite high on Maksimov. I think he'll round into a dependable 2-way 2nd/3rd line winger who can put up 20-25 goals a season. That's my hope, anyway, and I've liked what I've seen of him for the most part, or at least see the potential is there.

His shot accuracy, power, release and overall decent playmaking seem NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad