Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beast they may have honestly picked him as he clearly has some potential and even though he might not be right on board with kingston. He would have some more value than guys like Hawery, Amidovski that they could’ve picked. And if the end goal is to flip him for big upgrades in a go for it year, that may be Kingstons end goal.
All you are going to get is picks, IF he has not signed the contract with BCHL. My point is all this will, he won't, he can, they can't is BS.

This team needs a sane GM. Cooper had to know that he was looking at the BCHL hell on elite prospects before the draft.

What big upgrade do you see happening do you think that some team is going to give you their star player and picks and Kiss Coopers rear.

The team are trading draft picks only; that is not going to get you an upgrade on him.

I consider him getting you anything the same as people saying that Pienemi is coming to Kingston.

When he is gone, he is going to play for a highly competitive league and team that plays at a higher level than any Junior league in Canada, not in the CHL. He is going to play in a league that is scouted by the NHL, and he will still keep his NCAA ability.

The BCHL is, in many ways, the same as the USHL.

I said this with Moldenhauer when OMG and others were saying he would be back. Sorry, he is gone. Not coming back. Therefore next year, you get 2 drat picks this year's first round and next year's first round. 2 more picks for Cooper to screw up.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
in a year that several of the top rated kids were picking their spots, Cooper may have thought the defect route was his best option.
Completely agree. Take a chance on one of the top talents, hope he reports- if he doesn’t then put them as defective get that good pick next year and trade his rights to some team for a bunch of conditionals. If he does end up wanting to come to the ohl I’m sure we can trade him for at minimum 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks and go out and use those picks to help acquire someone like Barlow, Rehkopf or some big name.

I think this is a go for it year, but I could also see them making a push for the 2025/2026 season when guys like frasca and battaglia, Williamson will be 19. You’ll have a bunch of good OA’s too- can trade the ones that don’t fit the team mold as well for picks and trade those picks for 18/19 year old impact players.

Bottom line the next 2 years should have
good hockey being played here and the future is bright.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
in a year that several of the top rated kids were picking their spots, Cooper may have thought the defect route was his best option.
BULL sounds good but BULL there wer many players that would have come to kingston and been good.

Also, if the GM had done his friggin job, he would have interviewed the players on his list to see if they were coming and would have had a plan that brought a player to the team and avoided all this crap

consider this is what Kingston has to look forward to and talk about.

Is Ludwinski coming back?

I heard that Pienemi is going to play for us next season.

Guelph is going to trade for Malhorta and give us a 15th-round selection in the 2022 Draft along with conditional picks if Moldenhauer commits to the OHL.

Is this what fans should be talking about, or should they be talking about the great players who are coming as rookies and wonder who they will get from the Euro leagues?

The bottom line is Kingston needs to be seen as a place that people want to play, not a place that trades away draft picks that don't want to be here. Hell even Mav did the diligence to talk to layers and make sure that he drafted kids that were gong to play.

OK, so what do you do next year when they draft 2 kids and they both say no thanks? We want to play in the USHL or for any team but yours.

Bottom line going the defect is a stupid thing to do especially if the kid is gong to a different league.

QUESTION HOW MANY TEQAMS DRAFTED FIRST-ROUND PLAYERS THAT ARE DEFECTING TO A DIFFERENT LEAGUE.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
BULL sounds good but BULL there wer many players that would have come to kingston and been good.

Also, if the GM had done his friggin job, he would have interviewed the players on his list to see if they were coming and would have had a plan that brought a player to the team and avoided all this crap

consider this is what Kingston has to look forward to and talk about.

Is Ludwinski coming back?

I heard that Pienemi is going to play for us next season.

Guelph is going to trade for Malhorta and give us a 15th-round selection in the 2022 Draft along with conditional picks if Moldenhauer commits to the OHL.

Is this what fans should be talking about, or should they be talking about the great players who are coming as rookies and wonder who they will get from the Euro leagues?

The bottom line is Kingston needs to be seen as a place that people want to play, not a place that trades away draft picks that don't want to be here. Hell even Mav did the diligence to talk to layers and make sure that he drafted kids that were gong to play.

OK, so what do you do next year when they draft 2 kids and they both say no thanks? We want to play in the USHL or for any team but yours.

Bottom line going the defect is a stupid thing to do especially if the kid is gong to a different league.

QUESTION HOW MANY TEQAMS DRAFTED FIRST-ROUND PLAYERS THAT ARE DEFECTING TO A DIFFERENT LEAGUE.
Really can’t lose going the defect route in a competitive year imo.
In any year given the defect option, you would not be making the most of your opportunity by reaching for a middling 1st round talent that you’re not particularly smitten with.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
In any year given the defect option, you would not be making the most of your opportunity by reaching for a middling 1st round talent that you’re not particularly smitten with.
So instead you settle for nothing on the hope that next year you might get something.

Man, does that explain the Frontenac theory and why you have not won any championships.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
So instead you settle for nothing on the hope that next year you might get something.

Man, does that explain the Frontenac theory and why you have not won any championships.
Beast it’s a been a week give it a rest. We will know a lot more about malholtra and that situation by September. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Completely agree. Take a chance on one of the top talents, hope he reports- if he doesn’t then put them as defective get that good pick next year and trade his rights to some team for a bunch of conditionals. If he does end up wanting to come to the ohl I’m sure we can trade him for at minimum 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks and go out and use those picks to help acquire someone like Barlow, Rehkopf or some big name.

I think this is a go for it year, but I could also see them making a push for the 2025/2026 season when guys like frasca and battaglia, Williamson will be 19. You’ll have a bunch of good OA’s too- can trade the ones that don’t fit the team mold as well for picks and trade those picks for 18/19 year old impact players.

Bottom line the next 2 years should have
good hockey being played here and the future is bright
Hey frontsfan67,

How many 16 year old rookies do you feel Kingston will dress next season from the recent draft?
2 - maybe 3???
1 Goalie
1 Forward
1 Defense

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
You lose that you can't trade that 1st rounder for a high end 19 year old. Otherwise, I agree.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Hey frontsfan67,

How many 16 year old rookies do you feel Kingston will dress next season from the recent draft?
2 - maybe 3???
1 Goalie
1 Forward
1 Defense
I think Betts probably will as it doesn’t make sense to make him sit a year if the plan is for him to be the #1 after vaccari but you never know since goalies develop slower.

Buttar should make it as a 3rd/4th liner. Malholtra will probably as a guy in the top 9 if he comes here but if not then I just see those 2. Betts and Buttar.

I think weir and velliaris will be on the team as 17 year old rookies though to go with Betts and Buttar.

Not very familiar with the defencemen they picked this year. they could develop in a league like the GOJHL for a year first similar to weir

Reactions: PuckLucker

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Any ideas on when on when Kingston's rookie/orientation camp is this year? Looks like last year it was at the beginning of May - as unlikely as it seems I'm hoping to see Malhotra there this year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Any ideas on when on when Kingston's rookie/orientation camp is this year? Looks like last year it was at the beginning of May - as unlikely as it seems I'm hoping to see Malhotra there this year.
Would be a nice surprise for him to show up. Don’t think it will happen though.

Regardless next years team should be night and day compared to this one despite some big losses in Schmidt, Dubois, Holmes (probably hemstrom), and ludwinski I’m sure they can find the right players to fill the gaps.

Very excited to see how battaglia and frasca do this coming season. I think battaglia will be a top 10-15 point guy in the O’

Could be next years Romani or Rehkopf.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Yeah it's 100% a pipe dream at this point, especially considering he dropped the puck at a Chilliwack game last weekend, but hey a guy can have delusional optimism...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Long way before next season. This one is only 3rd round. Lots of stuff can happen. But very interested to see come June what they do in the import draft. I think a good RHD that will report and play 2 years should be the move here but ya never know what they’re thinking. They could pick a LW or go and pick a goalie.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Best potential d men available coming back for 2024/2025 season

Listed 1-10 by total points accumulated

1 Anthony Deangelis OA LHD Sud

2 Jacob Leblanc OA RHD NB

3 Andrew Gibson 19 RHD SOO

4 Tristan Bertucci 19 LHD Flint

5 Donovan McCoy OA RHD Sud

6 Alexis Daviault 19 LHD Erie

7 Lukas Fischer 18 LHD Sarnia

8 Matthew Andonovski 19 LHD Kitchener

9 Spencer Sova 19 LHD Erie

10 Mitch Young 19 LHD Sarnia

Doubt Fischer is made available but if he is I’m sure someone will want him.

Fronts will probably want to get ATLEAST ONE of these guys that is a RHD.

I think 1 of the guys that stands out is Donovan McCoy. Will be an OA, RHD, and captain material. Oh and he’s from Belleville. I think that’s someone they are going to be very keen on bringing here.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Best potential d men available coming back for 2024/2025 season

Listed 1-10 by total points accumulated

1 Anthony Deangelis OA LHD Sud

2 Jacob Leblanc OA RHD NB

3 Andrew Gibson 19 RHD SOO

4 Tristan Bertucci 19 LHD Flint

5 Donovan McCoy OA RHD Sud

6 Alexis Daviault 19 LHD Erie

7 Lukas Fischer 18 LHD Sarnia

8 Matthew Andonovski 19 LHD Kitchener

9 Spencer Sova 19 LHD Erie

10 Mitch Young 19 LHD Sarnia

Doubt Fischer is made available but if he is I’m sure someone will want him.

Fronts will probably want to get ATLEAST ONE of these guys that is a RHD.

I think 1 of the guys that stands out is Donovan McCoy. Will be an OA, RHD, and captain material. Oh and he’s from Belleville. I think that’s someone they are going to be very keen on bringing here.
The only reason I don't expect McCoy to be available is how much Sudbury paid for him last year - I can't imagine they'd give up their first for an undrafted 19 y/o at the deadline. McCoy is a great player but I don't think he's at the level of normal return for a first rounder so I'm assuming they knew it was a two year return.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, I think Sudbury is poised for their 2nd year of a 2 year window. Would be shocked if McCoy plays anywhere other than Sudbury assuming he stays in the league.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Is there any chance Zayne Parekh becomes available next year?
It wouldn't surprise me if he's available based on the graduating players they have but that would be an extremely costly trade and considering it seems like Kingston completely whiffed with Malhotra, I don't think they'd have the assets to get close to a trade.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Is there any chance Zayne Parekh becomes available next year?
Potentially but I think they may try and string together 1 more run as it’s misas draft year and they’ll fill the stands every game like that especially if they win the Mem cup.

They probably don’t have too many great assets but they have guys like Willis, hay, parekh, Misa, mangone, oke returning and that’s a good core as it is. Look at north bay- a lot including myself thought this would be a rebuilding year and they’ve had a successful season. Time will tell.

The only reason I don't expect McCoy to be available is how much Sudbury paid for him last year - I can't imagine they'd give up their first for an undrafted 19 y/o at the deadline. McCoy is a great player but I don't think he's at the level of normal return for a first rounder so I'm assuming they knew it was a two year return.
What teams do sometimes is overpay on a player like McCoy who you know will be coming back the year after so they can trade him off and get lots of those assets back.

I think that will be the case for him. But if he is named team captain then who knows that could make it difficult- but then again he was captain of the Pete’s and got traded so who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad