GDT: Kings vs Aves | 7 PM | Mar 10 | Staying Alive (Somehow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wat the hell was Hejda doing on the Carter goal? Full tard. Tanguay made up for his eff up. Barrie scored thats good and lando got a point also good. Doesn't look like any of the goals were saveable

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wat the hell was Hejda doing on the Carter goal? Full tard. Tanguay made up for his eff up. Barrie scored thats good and lando got a point also good. Doesn't look like any of the goals were saveable

Showing everyone why he shouldn't get an extension.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Hejda had a poor game, but both Tanguay and Mtichell are way more to blame for that goal than him.

Tanguay who had another poor night with the puck (despite his goal) made a terrible pass right on the tape of Lewis, then he charged right in at him too aggressively and left Carter and Nolan along the right side by themselves to criss cross and make Hejda guess who to take.

Then Mitchell comes in and makes the worlds worst block attempt on the pass.

Hejda didn't play it perfectly, as he tried to step up on Carter who made a nice move and powered through him, but Tangs terrible turnover, followed up with an overly aggressive play to charge the puck carrier left Hejda in a bad spot having to contain two guys. Then Tanguay watches Hejda get in trouble and just slowly coasts back doing nothing to help out.

[NHL]2014020998-84-h[/NHL]

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Yeah brad stuart sucks. That extension really hurts, and the picks we gave up to get him.

Anyone think him and berra get bought out this summer?

member 116861

So how bad was it? I watched the first 10 minutes but had to stop watching after. Saw Iggy's terrible plays that resulted in the first goal. Why are our "veterans" so unreliable?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Hopefully he's having fun outside of hockey, because his career must be pretty depressing at the moment.

He's getting paid millions to play hockey, I think he's ok. Or at least to watch NHL games from a good seat.

He was pretty bad since the injury, but I don't think thats the reason for it. As a backup, it's really just a matter of handling the pressure.
Especially, if you're not proven in the league. You got 1 game to show what you can, if you fail, it's a difficult process afterwards. 3-4 weeks time between to think about it and focus on your next emergency call. Must be not easy at least.
I think it's a character thing and maybe Berra isn't suited to that role.
I can assure you it's not his ability, because I used to watch him for a long time in Switzerland, outplaying former NHL goalies pretty easily.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Money doesn't buy self-worth, I don't care how much you have there is nothing worse than feeling useless. Of course on the scale of human misery I understand there are worse things in life. Still, I can imagine it is not a happy situation.

I can agree that being a backup isn't for everyone. An ideal situation is probably a vet that is ok with a lighter work load. Behind someone like Varly where there is no chance at competition for his spot isn't easy and takes some acceptance. Its too bad if things are a lot on the mental side. A lot here have remarked on his fundamentals though. It was really that game where he got pulled and then the very next game he got pulled again and in between them Roy was all over the radio and media defending Berra. Roy always says its how you bounce back from mistakes or adversity so that coupled with making Roy look bad is how we are here today.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
But Roy said they are very close to their goal.......whatever it is.

The Avs haven't won more than 3 games in a row the whole season, how are you suppose to make the playoffs?

All season long, whenever they won couple of games in a row to get little closer to the playoffs, they haven't been able to keep going, at least win 4 or 5 in a row.

Yeah, I really don't know what goal Roy is saying they are close to achieving, but this team needs a lot of changes in a lot of areas.

They have zero depth in all positions except maybe in net, yet Roy is saying they are close to the their goal.

Guys like EJ, MacKinnon get long term injuries and they have absolutely no one to replace them.

For this team to be better next year and have a chance at the playoffs, they have to pray to God that EJ, MacKinnon or any other key players don't get injured.

But Roy likes using the injuries as an excuse.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What's your point? I'm not going to stand for whining, my patience is wearing thin on such. Its bringing the board down, this is not group therapy, it is a discussion board. I suggest folks to find the point to things sooner than later.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What do you mean what's my point? My point is I don't think the Avs are as close as Roy says to becoming a winning team because of such a horrible depth within their organization.

One injury to a key player and they're pretty much finished.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What do you mean what's my point? My point is I don't think the Avs are as close as Roy says to becoming a winning team because of such a horrible depth within their organization.

One injury to a key player and they're pretty much finished.

That's what I mean by having a point. I don't think anyone would disagree with you there but this isn't news.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ok so what's your point? What's with not gonna stand for whining thing?

No one is whining, I just made a point that yet again like they've done all year, they couldn't keep the winning streak and a momentum going, but when you listen to Roy, he still sounds very confident that they'll make the playoffs, but after losses he uses injuries as an excuse.

I'm not whining, I'm just not agreeing with Roy and his attitude. Just seems like so much of what he says don't add up.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Let's evaluate some of the things Roy says. He says he thinks they can still make the playoffs and that he thinks he has a group that can overcome the injuries to EJ and MacKinnon. He says not one guy but collectively they can do it.

Then when the team loses he brings up the men game lost and the injuries and uses it as an excuse.

And then he says he thinks they're very close to their goal which obviously means becoming a winning team.

Add those together and you get nothing really. Just makes no sense.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Let's evaluate some of the things Roy says. He says he thinks they can still make the playoffs and that he thinks he has a group that can overcome the injuries to EJ and MacKinnon. He says not one guy but collectively they can do it.

Then when the team loses he brings up the men game lost and the injuries and uses it as an excuse.

And then he says he thinks they're very close to their goal which obviously means becoming a winning team.

Add those together and you get nothing really. Just makes no sense.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but what do you want Roy to say in public??

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Berra looked good to start the season, and then fell apart after he got injured in the game vs Ottawa. He hasn't been the same since and it didn't help that Pickard got called up to play games and then ended up going on a tear. I take part in the Berra jokes but I personally don't think he's as bad as we make him out to be. I do believe he can be a viable back-up. Pickard's play just made us expect the same from Berra

I agree, he's not as bad as we have seen him play, that's also reason why I think Roy&Sakic keep him w the team(instead of throwing to waivers). They want to give him another shot, next season probably. He just needs a fresh start. It's been horrible horrible season for him, everything went wrong for him and we have seen what that can do to players (look at this team couple years back when we finished bottom-2 in league). He just needs to start from new beginning again.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I agree, he's not as bad as we have seen him play, that's also reason why I think Roy&Sakic keep him w the team(instead of throwing to waivers). They want to give him another shot, next season probably. He just needs a fresh start. It's been horrible horrible season for him, everything went wrong for him and we have seen what that can do to players (look at this team couple years back when we finished bottom-2 in league). He just needs to start from new beginning again.

Sadly the bad is proving to be much more common than the flashes of good. I hope he can turn it around, but my gut feeling is that this was a swing and miss for the organization.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Not really. He complains about everything. Not just one thing, everything. Disappears when the Avs are winning, and re-appears when they lose.

Yes you're right he's very predictable, but what's that with the will not stand for? MOD

I am very disappointed with this team, but at this point in the season there's no more denial about the fact that this team and management has a long way to go. I have accepted it and can only have hope that the next few years will be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Honestly, I'm starting to think this season is a blessing in disguise. The struggles this team has gone through this season, both with injuries and their overall lacklustre play should humble them. Last season everything came so easily, we got bounces, Varly kept us in games, and our offense was on point. This season, our depth has been exposed, our offense has struggled, and our defense is still crappy. I think this season will help the development of our young players, as well as help Roy and his coaching staff realize what it takes to consistently succeed in this league.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But Roy said they are very close to their goal.......whatever it is.

The Avs haven't won more than 3 games in a row the whole season, how are you suppose to make the playoffs?

All season long, whenever they won couple of games in a row to get little closer to the playoffs, they haven't been able to keep going, at least win 4 or 5 in a row.

Yeah, I really don't know what goal Roy is saying they are close to achieving, but this team needs a lot of changes in a lot of areas.

They have zero depth in all positions except maybe in net, yet Roy is saying they are close to the their goal.

Guys like EJ, MacKinnon get long term injuries and they have absolutely no one to replace them.

For this team to be better next year and have a chance at the playoffs, they have to pray to God that EJ, MacKinnon or any other key players don't get injured.

But Roy likes using the injuries as an excuse.

You do realize this team has actually maintained their playoff push minus EJ and minus McGinn, Winchester, and Bordeleau for the entire season, right? A season where they lost an anchor in Stastny, had to experiment with MacKinnon because he looked overwhelmed, and had to work with the same garbage defence because there simply weren't any options to fix it besides massively overpaying for one via trade or UFA (Looking at Brooks Orpik).

I'm not sure what you want Roy and Sakic to say/do. Every one of your posts you seem to criticize them yet you honestly don't seem to understand that they've only been on the job for a year and a half, and were given NOTHING in terms of organizational depth. Yes, they came into a situation with Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, EJ, Varlamov, Barrie, and the 1st overall pick, and that's an outstanding starting point. But where were all the prospects? Where was the NHL-level depth? Where was the AHL foundation? Nowhere to be found.

The 2013 and 2014 drafts look really promising. Sakic and Roy have begun the process of rebuilding our prospect pool. They've done what the previous regimes didn't do and sent scouts to Europe/Russia and found two good looking young players in Everberg and Rendulic. Roy has repeatedly said that the AHL team needs to be better, that the development down there needs to be better and they're working on it.

The fact that they are still in a playoff battle this late into the season says something about the group of guys we've got. Not everything happens overnight. The Kings, Hawks, and Bruins weren't built in a year. It took patience. Just because Duchene and O'Reilly were drafted back in 2009 doesn't mean we have to be contenders by the year 2015. There were setbacks with some players and especially with the previous regime. Now the current regime is trying to fix their mistakes and are being patient, and I for one am glad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad