News Article: Kings visit to the White House

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I was wondering during the lockout, how the Kings would manage to fit the customary visit to the White House for the President to greet the Champs. In this article

http://redondobeach.patch.com/artic...ident-barack-obama-los-angeles#photo-10099644

The Kings and Galaxy will do it the same day

Ice hockey and soccer will be go together to the White House to be honored when the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings and Major League Soccer champion Los Angeles Galaxy visit in what will be the first time two professional championship teams will be feted at one White House ceremony, said Kings Governor Tim Leiweke Thursday.

A tentative date has been proposed and "we're waiting for the president to see if that works for his schedule," Leiweke said at a Staples Center news conference to discuss the team's plans for the season.

Also, seems Tim bragged last summer when he and the Galaxy were at the White House for the Galaxy's championship, that the Kings would be here next year

When we were with him (President Barack Obama) last year with the Galaxy, I told him we'd be back," Leiweke said. "Then I saw him during the campaign and we laughed about the fact we predicted we'd be back." The Galaxy and Kings are owned by the Anschutz Entertainment Group.

I also like the fact they are hanging the banner from the rafters to leave room for
all the future banners.

Last edited:

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Cue arguements that soccer and hockey are now equals in the U.S. in 3. 2. 1...

Not even close. But soccer is still awesome and MLS is slowly getting stronger every year.

I think it is kind of weird, however, that the Kings have to share this event with the Galaxy.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Not even close. But soccer is still awesome and MLS is slowly getting stronger every year.

I think it is kind of weird, however, that the Kings have to share this event with the Galaxy.

I actually think it's cool. LA Sports will be well represented in our nations capital that day. Plus it'll be cool to see obama in a Kings jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad