Speculation: Kings to Sign Peter Mannino?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not a rumor, but just a logical assumption and speculation on my part. With Quick's status in question due to off-season back surgery, it is within the realm of possibility to start the season with Quick on IR and Jonathan Bernier as the starting goalie.

If that is the case, the Kings will likely look to one of their own third string goalies within the depth chart, and I'm thinking that the best choice is a goalie who has signed an amateur contract with the Monarchs, Peter Mannino.

Mannino has performed well in Manchester, posting an 8-4-0 record with a GAA of 2.08 and .927 save percentage. I think they'd be better off leaving the starting duties to Martin Jones in Manchester (in order for his development), and call Mannino up to backup Bernier until Quick is ready to get back in between the pipes.

To add fuel to the speculation, the Monarchs just called up J.F. Berube yesterday, and I don't believe it is their intention to have three goaltenders in Manchester. Once the CBA is officially signed and teams are given the okay to start making transactions, I am willing to wager that the Kings will have Peter Mannino signed to a professional contract.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
With little meaning, Evans was on Mayor's Manor just a moment ago and said that he expects Quick to be cleared in the next day or so this week. I would personally expect that Jones would get a cup of coffee at the start of the season and backup Bernier should Quick need a few games.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Berube was called up because Jones pulled his hamstring on Friday night.

But Manchester is off until Friday. They haven't disclosed much about the severity of the injury to Jones, but I have some reservations about the timing of Berube's promotion. Why call him up this early to the AHL when they're off for the next four days if Mannino is still there? Jones could rest and return in net or serve as a backup this weekend. I think something is up and concerned that Quick isn't starting this season.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
But Manchester is off until Friday. They haven't disclosed much about the severity of the injury to Jones, but I have some reservations about the timing of Berube's promotion. Why call him up this early to the AHL when they're off for the next four days if Mannino is still there? Jones could rest and return in net or serve as a backup this weekend. I think something is up and concerned that Quick isn't starting this season.
My guess would be that they want to get Berube into practices with the team. It's tough to practice with one goalie.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010

Or jones may be heading to la for camp. If his injury wasn't too bad or nagging, I wouldn't be surprised to see him here (he was one of the black aces wasn't he?)

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Why fly a goalie cross-country when you can find a guy who can stand there for 2-3 days?
I think you misunderstood. Ziggy made the point that they don't play until Friday, so why would they need a goalie before that. My point is that they would get Berube out there for the week of practice AND to have him there for the games. I highly doubt they would be calling Berube up if Jones' injury is minor.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I think Quick is fine. He's been practicing with Monarchs for some time now. Last time I was up there (about 2 weeks ago) Quick was in the building watching the game. My speculation is that Quick hasn't been officially cleared so he could continue to practice with Manchester. Little bit of a lockout loop hole.

As far as signing Mannino I'd be in favor of it. He's been very good this year. He's a bit of a journey man but he has had a couple small cups of coffee in the NHL with the Islanders and Jets. GREAT locker room guy from what I hear and a lover of Taco Bell :laugh:

With that said no need in giving Mannino a contract right now, but depending on what happens to Bernier or Jones I think it's a good idea.

TKFAN

Dec 3, 2006
New Hampshire
According to todays Manchester Union Leader, Berube is only in Manchester practicing because of Jones hamstring injury. The team won't know until later in the week of Jones is ok to play Friday night or not. No indication that any goalie is heading to LA at this time.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think Quick is fine. He's been practicing with Monarchs for some time now. Last time I was up there (about 2 weeks ago) Quick was in the building watching the game. My speculation is that Quick hasn't been officially cleared so he could continue to practice with Manchester. Little bit of a lockout loop hole.

If he's not cleared though, wouldn't LA be paying his full salary, like other injured players? It's nice to be able to give him practice time and access to team doctors, but that would have cost them roughly $900,000 to do so.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
According to todays Manchester Union Leader, Berube is only in Manchester practicing because of Jones hamstring injury. The team won't know until later in the week of Jones is ok to play Friday night or not. No indication that any goalie is heading to LA at this time.

Well with Quick being cleared to play and praticing in LA now, it would appear this is exactly what it is going on. Berube called up to get reps in with the AHL team just in case Jones can't play Friday.

If he's not cleared though, wouldn't LA be paying his full salary, like other injured players? It's nice to be able to give him practice time and access to team doctors, but that would have cost them roughly $900,000 to do so.

Not sure about the $900,000 you are talking about but the Kings were paying his full salary during the lockout since he was injured. But as CT said, Quick was practicing with Manchester to get reps in with the team. The Kings assigned him on a "conditioning stint" so he was allowed to practice but not play any games. They were allowed to do this basically since there was no way for him to get back to 100% from his injury in LA because of the lack of any structured practice during the lockout.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Not sure about the $900,000 you are talking about but the Kings were paying his full salary during the lockout since he was injured. But as CT said, Quick was practicing with Manchester to get reps in with the team. The Kings assigned him on a "conditioning stint" so he was allowed to practice but not play any games. They were allowed to do this basically since there was no way for him to get back to 100% from his injury in LA because of the lack of any structured practice during the lockout.

The $900,000 would represent the (approximate) percentage of wages Quick would have earned during the lockout due to being an injured player (he is on the final year of his old contract before the extension kicks in, and is due $1.7 million this year). Once a player comes off injury (medically cleared) he is no longer eligible to earn that salary. Assuming nothing was wrong, Quick was slated to be cleared around the end of training camp (IIRC).

I get the idea of keeping Quick around to recover, but seems like an expensive way to make sure he's in shape.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
The $900,000 would represent the (approximate) percentage of wages Quick would have earned during the lockout due to being an injured player (he is on the final year of his old contract before the extension kicks in, and is due $1.7 million this year). Once a player comes off injury (medically cleared) he is no longer eligible to earn that salary. Assuming nothing was wrong, Quick was slated to be cleared around the end of training camp (IIRC).

I get the idea of keeping Quick around to recover, but seems like an expensive way to make sure he's in shape.

Ok, makes more sense now. I think it was a matter of no other option being available, so just pay him and let him work out in Manch. I'm also not so sure once the lockout happened that the Kings could take him off of IR or whatever. I think he was stuck there until a new CBA was in place and teams could make roster moves again. Expensive sure, but just don't see another option that would have worked.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Ok, makes more sense now. I think it was a matter of no other option being available, so just pay him and let him work out in Manch. I'm also not so sure once the lockout happened that the Kings could take him off of IR or whatever. I think he was stuck there until a new CBA was in place and teams could make roster moves again. Expensive sure, but just don't see another option that would have worked.

Maybe. Calgary did take Michael Ferlund off IR and assign him back to juniors once his injury finished. But maybe it's different for NHLers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Maybe. Calgary did take Michael Ferlund off IR and assign him back to juniors once his injury finished. But maybe it's different for NHLers.

He also had a team to go to, whereas Quick would have wound up not having access to the facilities to rehab, potentially harming the start of the year...

I have absolutely no problem with AEG/Kings spending their money to ensure they have done everything they can to ensure a star player is 100% ready to go for the season, that can only be looked as a positive, IMO, a welcome change from the older penny pinching days no?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Oh I have no problem with it either Holden, just surprised a bit that a team would do it and wonder whether or not it indicates that Quick isn't completely healthy as we expected him to be by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad