Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Lintuniemi

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Man, thought there was a thread for this already but there wasn't. This was announced hours ago. Good signing, kid looks decent and worth the pro time. I assume he's back in the O next season though.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Taking Regehr (retired), Sekera (UFA), McBain (UFA), and Voynov (suspended) out of the equation, here's how the Kings' depth chart appears to look like with players and prospects who are signed or are RFAs:

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Greene
McNabb-Schultz
Lintuniemi-Miller
Forbort-LoVerde
Gravel-Raine
Leslie-Ebert
MacDermid-Roach

Those 16 names will be in training camp come September.

Given the depth on the blueline taking a hit with Regehr retiring and Voynov's uncertainty, it's a safe bet that the organization will attempt to re-sign Sekera before July 1, or dip into free agency to shore up the blueline.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Taking Regehr (retired), Sekera (UFA), McBain (UFA), and Voynov (suspended) out of the equation, here's how the Kings' depth chart appears to look like with players and prospects who are signed or are RFAs:

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Greene
McNabb-Schultz
Lintuniemi-Miller
Forbort-LoVerde
Gravel-Raine
Leslie-Ebert
MacDermid-Roach

Given the depth on the blueline taking a hit with Regehr retiring and Voynov's uncertainty, it's a safe bet that the organization will attempt to re-sign Sekera before July 1, or dip into free agency to shore up the blueline.
Looking at that list we definitely need a vet dman, whether that's Sekera or someone else.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He's going to be here before then imo.

I agree he will be here before Greene goes but only long enough to learn from him. It will be a jj/Slava type situation. Now with the ahl team in Ontario California there will be more use of player going back and forth imo When he proves he is capable of replacing him Greene will be gone.

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
I agree he will be here before Greene goes but only long enough to learn from him. It will be a jj/Slava type situation. Now with the ahl team in Ontario California there will be more use of player going back and forth imo When he proves he is capable of replacing him Greene will be gone.

This gets me thinking, how easy it would be for the Kings and the AHL Reign to practice with each other? I would imagine regular practices would help player development and also ease transitions for promoted players, would this me possible?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Man, thought there was a thread for this already but there wasn't. This was announced hours ago. Good signing, kid looks decent and worth the pro time. I assume he's back in the O next season though.

He will be eligible to play for Ontario next season. We'll see if he can make the team.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Greene
McNabb-Schultz
Lintuniemi-Miller
Forbort-LoVerde
Gravel-Raine
Leslie-Ebert
MacDermid-Roach

Wow, we had better do something if Voynov isn't able to come back. That top 6 gets ugly quick.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
whoa, 6'3, 234.
He is a load, and takes up space when he goes into the corners. Hard for anyone to move him. Seem to have a good sense for the game. With that said, we will see how he adjusts to the speed of the game. Watched him play the rookie game in Arizona last year and thought he played well. He still has a ways to go.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Looking at that list we definitely need a vet dman, whether that's Sekera or someone else.
It wouldn't hurt, but to me there already is a lot of money spent on D. Signing Sekera won't be easy, and it certainly will be very costly in terms of cap. Also, money needs to be freed up, MR and VV, and I can't see how the Kings catch the July 1 train on time. Sekera will be entertaining offers, and I just don't see him waiting on the Kings to figure things out. If I were him, it just doesn't make any sense.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
watched him in the WJC and he looked good. good positional game and kept up with the pace of the game. massive frame. if he can improve footspeed and his first two steps moving forward he will be a solid D man for LA. still a few years out imo

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Greene
McNabb-Schultz
Lintuniemi-Miller
Forbort-LoVerde
Gravel-Raine
Leslie-Ebert
MacDermid-Roach

Could mention Bods, but he's a free agent also. So is Loverde. The Kings might not re up these two to make room. Also, Gravel is still a free agent. He's played well, and the Kings should try and sign him, but I think Gravel has more flexibility than ever to land a spot on another team. Raine is over with as a D. He's played too much forward. He might have been better off in the ECHL. Ebert will see more of a regular spot next year. He's earned it. Schultz is under contract for one more year and is taking up space for development. Then there's a guy like Leslie, who's got a lot of skill, and should be developed further. It needs to be about remaining upside. For some of these guys, that train has left the station. It's not about the Kings coaching and development anymore. For Roach, that could be the case. MacDermid is more interesting. Tall lanky kid that looks like he's still growing into his body and skating legs. I don't know about signing Sekera. Miller might be ready for his shot, and he's right handed, whereas Sekera is not. He skates well and can shoot, and does get a lot of his shots off and through with his skating ability to open up lanes, etc. Don't pay Sekera a ton of money and then have him play the off side. Forbort is ready now. He skates very well and is very hard to forecheck and play against. He gets the puck out of the zone quick and skates away from first forechecers well to give him time and space to make passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad