Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Kale & "Stone Cold" Austin Wagner

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Great. Step 2 of the Kings' Three-Step Process is now complete.

Step 1: Draft player
Step 2: Sign player
Step 3: Trade player away for upcoming UFA that can't/won't be re-signed.

Who wouldn't be a fan of a guy with the first name, Chaz

giphy.gif

These two posts have made me chuckle each time I've opened the thread the last few days.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Drafted in the 6th round #178 in 2013. TWO players drafted after Leslie have played in a NHL game. 6 players total from Round 5-7 have played NHL games. To complain about the Leslie pick seems a tad odd. Not a lot of "NHL material" was drafted in those later rounds. I wouldn't get too worked over LA drafting Leslie #178.

Who would of been your choice?

Im not worked up by it. Its done, over with.

My point is I have the privilege to watch many Guelph Storm games, Zac Lelsie is not a guy I would have drafted, and it doesnt matter to me who they drafted. Pick anybody on any team, at that time, that wasnt drafted and pick them.

I was just stating an opinion that I never liked Zac Leslie as a fan, regardless of being a Kings fan. I didn think any NHL should draft him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Drafted in the 6th round #178 in 2013. TWO players drafted after Leslie have played in a NHL game. 6 players total from Round 5-7 have played NHL games. To complain about the Leslie pick seems a tad odd. Not a lot of "NHL material" was drafted in those later rounds. I wouldn't get too worked over LA drafting Leslie #178.

Who would of been your choice?

I agree with your point for sure.

What I do find kinda interesting though is too remember the guys who not drafted even that late but already are having an impact. D Nikita Tryamkin, D Rinat Valiyev, LW Viktor Arvidson, C Danton Heinan, D Markus Nutivaara, LW Dominik Simon are all players that were available at that pick that have played NHL games to date.

Just an interesting tidbit.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So he can play in the playoffs this year but next year he has to go back to jrs or make the kings?

Correct. Junior players are eligible to come up and play (whether that be NHL, AHL, or ECHL) once their junior seasons are over but it changes nothing with regards to next season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Correct. Junior players are eligible to come up and play (whether that be NHL, AHL, or ECHL) once their junior seasons are over but it changes nothing with regards to next season.

It's interesting that Sweden is starting to take the anti-poaching stance that is part of the NHL/CHL agreement. I think they have a point; if they can't bury young players in the AHL due to their agreement with the CHL, it doesn't seem very fair to take Swedish players out of the SEL just to bury them in the AHL.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...ospects-in-sweden-ahl-boston-bruins-prospects

Personally, I think they need to rework their agreement with the CHL. Maybe allow players under 20 from playing in the AHL, but, similar to the AHL having a limit on veterans, why not have a limit on the number of rookies? It limits the poaching, requires teams to be competitive, but allows players who may benefit from playing in the AHL more than the CHL to make that step without allowing age/experience from prohibiting them?

I just bring this up as a suggestion, since a player like Clague could benefit from playing in the AHL next year rather than the WHL.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

I believe Toffoli was in the same situation a few years ago when he was coming up. Have to believe Clague will follow suite

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Was looking over WHL stats and it is noteworthy that Austin Wagner led the WHL in playoff goals with 16. I recall that, but was looking deeper and noticed that of the 16 playoff goals, only 2 were PP. That's freaking impressive, because it is harder to score in the playoffs and the easiest way to put up numbers is on the PP. If you look at the top goal scorers,. several scored over 33% of their goals on the PP.

see here: except for #3 and 4 on list, most were scoring 33%+ of their goals on PP.

http://whl.ca/stats/players/260/1/goals

Check out his stats. Of his 30 reg season goals, only 1 was PP. 5 SH! And 3 SH in the
playoffs. When was the last time you saw crazy stats like that? 3 PP goals. 8 SH.
(reg and playoffs combined) I always like to see players who can score ES.

http://whl.ca/players/26550

He can absolutely fly and he can also put the puck in the net...over 130 PM reg+playoffs, so he's no wilting flower. Expect some good things from him in Ontario
this coming season. With Wagner, Luff, Watson, Iafallo and Imama, should be a fun team to watch.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Was looking over WHL stats and it is noteworthy that Austin Wagner led the WHL in playoff goals with 16. I recall that, but was looking deeper and noticed that of the 16 playoff goals, only 2 were PP. That's freaking impressive, because it is harder to score in the playoffs and the easiest way to put up numbers is on the PP. If you look at the top goal scorers,. several scored over 33% of their goals on the PP.

see here: except for #3 and 4 on list, most were scoring 33%+ of their goals on PP.

http://whl.ca/stats/players/260/1/goals

Check out his stats. Of his 30 reg season goals, only 1 was PP. 5 SH! And 3 SH in the
playoffs. When was the last time you saw crazy stats like that? 3 PP goals. 8 SH.
(reg and playoffs combined) I always like to see players who can score ES.

http://whl.ca/players/26550

He can absolutely fly and he can also put the puck in the net...over 130 PM reg+playoffs, so he's no wilting flower. Expect some good things from him in Ontario
this coming season. With Wagner, Luff, Watson, Iafallo and Imama, should be a fun team to watch.

That's fantastic. I always like to look at a players even strength production. It's a good indicator of how effective of a player they are. PP production can ebb and flow.

He's gotten better every year since being drafted. That's exactly what you want to see from a prospect.

His skating, tenacity, and two-way instincts pretty much assure that he can be at least a 4th liner in the NHL. If he could just improve his hands and scoring touch he could develop into something more. Hopefully he has a great season in Ontario next year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I like to think Austin Wagner's upside can be on par with Chris Kreider. Obviously not there yet, and his chances of making the NHL are slim, but I see him as that kind of a player.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Clague's one of our more exciting prospects, yes?

Where is he on the depth chart?

I'd say our top defensive prospect and top 3-4 prospect altogether fairly easily.

I think Vilardi is the clear cut #1. #2-4 is between Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Mike Amadio, and Clague (no particular order). Unless I'm grossly overlooking someone.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'd say our top defensive prospect and top 3-4 prospect altogether fairly easily.

I think Vilardi is the clear cut #1. #2-4 is between Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Mike Amadio, and Clague (no particular order). Unless I'm grossly overlooking someone.

1. Gabriel Vilardi
2. Michael Amadio
3. Jaret Anderson-Dolan
4. Kale Clague
5. Toss Up

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Toss Up, pronounced To - es Oop (6-1, 250 lbs) was drafted in the 2003 draft and is considered to be a late bloomer.

Scrawny at the time of his draft at 170 lbs., Toss has been able to put on 80 lbs of table muscle through dedication to pizza and beer, and is considered to be the net front presence the Kings need on Kopitar's line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad