Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Kale & "Stone Cold" Austin Wagner

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Congratulations to both of them, and welcome to the Los Angeles Kings organization. Wagner will be joining the Reign next season, assuming he makes the team. Clague has another season of juniors.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Reign could use all the help they can get, especially after losing Brodzinski to an injury.

Neither player will be on the Reign this year, Clague not eligible until 18-19 season when he is 20. Wagner will be fighting for a roster spot in September, he'll be 20 years old. Both are still playing for their clubs in juniors.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Great. Step 2 of the Kings' Three-Step Process is now complete.

Step 1: Draft player
Step 2: Sign player
Step 3: Trade player away for upcoming UFA that can't/won't be re-signed.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Neither player will be on the Reign this year, Clague not eligible until 18-19 season when he is 20. Wagner will be fighting for a roster spot in September, he'll be 20 years old. Both are still playing for their clubs in juniors.

I meant to suggest Wagner joining the team once his post season is over. Could be a late addition to their playoff run, much like how Kempe was brought in during their Calder Cup run.

I'm sure by the time Clague is ready for AHL assignment the Kings will have cleared up some spots on Ontario's blueline. In fact, I could see a few names not coming back next season, like Zac Leslie. I'd be surprised if he was qualified. Same with Trotman.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is good news at a time when we could use some. Love both kids.

I meant to suggest Wagner joining the team once his post season is over. Could be a late addition to their playoff run, much like how Kempe was brought in during their Calder Cup run.

I'm sure by the time Clague is ready for AHL assignment the Kings will have cleared up some spots on Ontario's blueline. In fact, I could see a few names not coming back next season, like Zac Leslie. I'd be surprised if he was qualified. Same with Trotman.

I could see it. Wagner could use a taste of the pro game. I've been very impressed with his growth down there, love when prospects push themselves after being drafted.

Leslie is a weird one. Always showed flashes, but always got himself scratched. He may catch on somewhere if those flashes caught their eyes, but I generally agree. He was always hard for me to read. Also wouldn't' be surprised to see some D prospects cleared for some F prospects. This organization loves loading up on D, which I applaud, but good lord is it imbalanced right now.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They already don't have enough guys to fill out an AHL roster. Unless they're going to hoard all the college/junior free agents, they might have to bring back anyone they can that doesn't have enough games of pro experience to qualify as a veteran.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I can see Wagner, Luff and Watson all joining the black aces coming post season, and we'll see if anyone is good enough to get into to a game with the Reign.

Regarding Leslie, yeah, I've been disappointed. The Reign have a lot of gaps to fill suddenly next year on D, and the defensive depth we had has suddenly disappeared.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kale Clague still sounds like something I would drink to do a body cleanse and detox.

Hope the kid makes it someday.

Reactions: King Trouty

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

I could see it. Wagner could use a taste of the pro game. I've been very impressed with his growth down there, love when prospects push themselves after being drafted.

Leslie is a weird one. Always showed flashes, but always got himself scratched. He may catch on somewhere if those flashes caught their eyes, but I generally agree. He was always hard for me to read. Also wouldn't' be surprised to see some D prospects cleared for some F prospects. This organization loves loading up on D, which I applaud, but good lord is it imbalanced right now.

Was stated in camp that Wagner may have been fastest skater on the team. Good to see that speed is being drafted the last few years - Person, Kempe, Wagner.
Yeah, bummer about Leslie. At least Lintuniemi has been making strides again.

Kudos to Wagner and Clague. Hope Clague is Canada Team Capt for next World Juniors...or at least a top pairing D on the team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I am a big fan of Wagner, though others aren't so much. He's a solid all around player with a lot of speed.

Clague I haven't seen as much of, but am excited about his potential.

Leslie's growth has stagnated, but I think he can still get back on track with time. I still see him as a good puck mover.

I'll never forget him and Nick Ebert making the opposition look stupid at the junior level.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
I am a big fan of Wagner, though others aren't so much. He's a solid all around player with a lot of speed.

Clague I haven't seen as much of, but am excited about his potential.

Leslie's growth has stagnated, but I think he can still get back on track with time. I still see him as a good puck mover.

I'll never forget him and Nick Ebert making the opposition look stupid at the junior level.

Nick Ebert shot his load in that one preseason game he played in LA and looked like one of the best players on the ice. After that, eh. Not surprised he was moved in the offseason. Leslie, has to make some huge strides and soon. Looks like he is now behind MacDermid on the depth chart as well. The LaDue and Gravel call ups have definitely helped cement his time in the lineup.

Now on the other hand, obviously Wagner and Clague are two of the Kings better prospects so these contracts are no big surprise. A possible silver lining, in a way, Clague's team is a playoff team, but will go against one of the top two teams in the WHL. If they get bounced in the first round, Clague could easily make it for the final 2-3 weeks of the Reign's season. You'd assume that the Reign would want to play him ASAP, like Amadio did last year.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Nick Ebert shot his load in that one preseason game he played in LA and looked like one of the best players on the ice. After that, eh. Not surprised he was moved in the offseason. Leslie, has to make some huge strides and soon. Looks like he is now behind MacDermid on the depth chart as well. The LaDue and Gravel call ups have definitely helped cement his time in the lineup.

Now on the other hand, obviously Wagner and Clague are two of the Kings better prospects so these contracts are no big surprise. A possible silver lining, in a way, Clague's team is a playoff team, but will go against one of the top two teams in the WHL. If they get bounced in the first round, Clague could easily make it for the final 2-3 weeks of the Reign's season. You'd assume that the Reign would want to play him ASAP, like Amadio did last year.

It would be exciting to see Clague these playoffs, no doubt. Last year I was anticipating seeing Amadio and LaDue. This year it's Watson. Clague can't actually play in the playoffs until next year, right?

Someone here was a fan of Reddekopf awhile back, eh? Chances of him getting a contract?

Reactions: King Trouty

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
It would be exciting to see Clague these playoffs, no doubt. Last year I was anticipating seeing Amadio and LaDue. This year it's Watson. Clague can't actually play in the playoffs until next year, right?

Someone here was a fan of Reddekopf awhile back, eh? Chances of him getting a contract?

Who wouldn't be a fan of a guy with the first name, Chaz

giphy.gif

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Clague can come up and play for Ontario as soon as his junior season is over.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Reddekopp is injured, but I don't see how he doesn't get a contract. His defensive game has been stellar this year, and his offense has came along better than imagined. Had he not gotten injured, he had a chance to put up more points this year than the previous 3 combined. He's earned a contract at this point, we will see if this year is a one-off offensively or if he's truly taken the next step.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
wow. comments about Austin Wagner's speed. perhaps tops in all of CHL?

Hobbs was then asked, semi-jokingly, if he is relieved to be one of the few WHL defencemen who does not have to worry about containing Wagner.

“Absolutely,†a chuckling Hobbs replied. “He’s the fastest guy in the league — possibly the fastest guy in the CHL. I don’t know what you can do, other than just turn and skate as hard as you can and just hope you can catch him. I feel bad for those other D-men in the league.â€

The 19-year-old Los Angeles Kings draftee is already in another league, speed-wise. Just ask Paddock, a former NHL coach who knows what kind of skating ability is required at the highest level.

“It’s sort of hard to say unless you’re in it day-to-day, but I know that at least one L.A. scout has said they don’t have anybody like him,†Paddock noted. “That doesn’t mean he’s going right to Los Angeles — probably far from it — but he’ an elite skater. He’s got elite speed.â€

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010

I never liked the Leslie draft from the start. Getting to watch almost every Guelph OHL game, he was not impressive, nor did he strike me as someone who would make it. Around the same time as Matt Finn, a guy all Leafs fans raved about. Both played on very good Storm teams but both never appeared to be NHL material.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I never liked the Leslie draft from the start. Getting to watch almost every Guelph OHL game, he was not impressive, nor did he strike me as someone who would make it. Around the same time as Matt Finn, a guy all Leafs fans raved about. Both played on very good Storm teams but both never appeared to be NHL material.

Drafted in the 6th round #178 in 2013. TWO players drafted after Leslie have played in a NHL game. 6 players total from Round 5-7 have played NHL games. To complain about the Leslie pick seems a tad odd. Not a lot of "NHL material" was drafted in those later rounds. I wouldn't get too worked over LA drafting Leslie #178.

Who would of been your choice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad