Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Herberdeau for pld
1700234994906.png

Did someone say "Herb"?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe they were scouting Oscar Dansk who has played a string of excellent games for the Calgary Wranglers (1.97 GAA, .941 Sv%).

Dansk is what you might call a late bloomer (age 29). Has size 6'3" 204 lbs.

More likely though that the Scouts were looking at Markstrom or Vladar.

It should also be remembered that Markstrom has a NMC and given his play this season, I suspect he doesn't want to go anywhere (although sunshine and palm trees is a big motivator!).

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Is Talbot not good enough? Stats look solid.
This. That is why this isn't making sense.

Talbot has been a workhorse this season and is producing quite well. LAK would be idiots to f*ck that up right now. Unless, of course, there is a random injury that they know has happened and are trying to create a fix before making it public. Doubt it

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They probably aren’t gonna like that reaction on the Pettersson goal

Puck was in the net before he even started to move over to challenge the shooter.
That was nice passing and a great shot, but yeah.,, Markstrom looked like one of those early 1980s goalies that out kinda throws his leg out at the puck as it sailed into an open net. Effort level on the save. 2 out of 10.

Your average top six winger in the WHL scores that goal in the same scenario.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
This. That is why this isn't making sense.

Talbot has been a workhorse this season and is producing quite well. LAK would be idiots to f*ck that up right now. Unless, of course, there is a random injury that they know has happened and are trying to create a fix before making it public. Doubt it
they are scouting for a backup or 1b type situation .. love copper but his year isnt going that well

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Guessing it's Vladar. Kings have somewhat of a knack for turning discount goalies into profit.

Vladar
For
Copley + 3rd/prospect

Copley will be waived and Wolf will fill the back up slot, slowly logging more and more games, until the Markstrom contract expires.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Guessing it's Vladar. Kings have somewhat of a knack for turning discount goalies into profit.

Vladar
For
Copley + 3rd/prospect

Copley will be waived and Wolf will fill the back up slot, slowly logging more and more games, until the Markstrom contract expires.
Lmao, at this point in time we're not getting a 3rd for Vladar.

Frankly at this point I'd be okay with Copley straight up, as we'd get out of the 2nd year of Vladar's contract.

Reactions: YP44

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lmao, at this point in time we're not getting a 3rd for Vladar.

Frankly at this point I'd be okay with Copley straight up, as we'd get out of the 2nd year of Vladar's contract.
Would the Flames retain on Vladar?

Yes, the Kings cap situation is indeed that dire even with sending Copley back

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Vladar
For
Copley + 3rd/prospect

I don't see Vladar as much of an upgrade on Ritich. Rather waive Copley and call up Big Save Dave who has been doing good in the AHL.

If LA is dealing for a goaltender I want them to get someone who will be the #1 for years to come.

Is Vladar an upgrade on Ritich? Why pay when you have a like body in the system.

Reactions: Guitpik

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Does feel like they're scouting Markstrom more than Vladar though.

Cap shouldn't be too difficult to manage; Arvidsson (4.25M) and Copley (1.5M) would equal 5.75M. Either the Flame retain the remaining amount, or they switch depth contracts.

All depends on whether the Kings would be willing to move Arvidsson though. Under normal circumstances, obviously not, but if he's done for the season, then maybe.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Vladar
For
Copley + 3rd/prospect

Leave Copley for LA to waive. We don't need him.

Vladar for 2025 2nd

Cap shouldn't be too difficult to manage; Arvidsson (4.25M) and Copley (1.5M) would equal 5.75M. Either the Flame retain the remaining amount, or they switch depth contracts.

All depends on whether the Kings would be willing to move Arvidsson though. Under normal circumstances, obviously not, but if he's done for the season, then maybe.
Arvidsson is out with a back injury and is still on LTIR. I would be very careful about trading for someone with a history of back issues. Copley we just don't need.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Did Cam Talbot die? He's been unreal this season

Quick, Bernier, Jones, Kuemper, Campbell.. I'd say Ranford and Co. have done better than alright. Quick had a helluva career, and the other 4 all looked great in LA and were sold for positive value before they lost their game playing for other teams years later. As bad as it is rn (because of a lack of cap space), few organizations develop goalies better

Vladar would unfortunately be this team's best goalie. But if Ranford is in town I'd imagine Markstrom is the target. I don't even wanna know how that cap would work
Vladar would be LAs best goalie? That's interesting considering Vladar has been one of the worst goalies in the league and Talbot has been one of the best.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Vladar would be LAs best goalie? That's interesting considering Vladar has been one of the worst goalies in the league and Talbot has been one of the best.
He’s 37, don’t know how long he can keep this up. Copley has finally turned back into a pumpkin, don’t know if they are looking at Vladar, doesn’t make sense to go from one shit goalie to another

Reactions: YP44

Ledge And Dairy

No. His 2.2M cap hit is fair if ye can return to last years level of play. He does better with a bigger work load though and the way Markstrom's played this year he's not going to get many games

Calgary has much bigger fish to retain on at the deadline than Vladar too

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Talbot is playing the best he's ever played in his career, but just like with Copley last year... eventually the clock strikes midnight and the chariot will turn back into a pumpkin

No. His 2.2M cap hit is fair if ye can return to last years level of play. He does better with a bigger work load though and the way Markstrom's played this year he's not going to get many games

Calgary has much bigger fish to retain on at the deadline than Vladar too
In that case there's little chance LA can fit him under the cap

Reactions: Little Psycho

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
The scouting report on Markstrom has always been games played, which Sutter completely ignored last year and gave him the Kipper/Quick treatment.

I would still rather move Vladar and split games between Wolf and Markstrom and see how that goes (good or bad).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Given he won't be re-signed I would move him for Markstrom no matter what. Does not sound like a lot of other kings fans would though.

Maybe bring a third team that Calgary can flip Arvidsson to for a higher prospect or pick. Arvidsson's health depending obvisouly.

Leave Copley for LA to waive. We don't need him.

Vladar for 2025 2nd

Arvidsson is out with a back injury and is still on LTIR. I would be very careful about trading for someone with a history of back issues. Copley we just don't need.
No chance Vladar gets a 2nd.

The scouting report on Markstrom has always been games played, which Sutter completely ignored last year and gave him the Kipper/Quick treatment.

I would still rather move Vladar and split games between Wolf and Markstrom and see how that goes (good or bad).
For that rotation I think Calgary should just waive Vladar.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If Matt Millar was there, maybe it would mean more, as Bill is more in a managerial role with the Kings now.. As in managing staff, in a less than daily role. Millar is their actual head scout for goaltenders. Also, if there’s one building you’d likely see Bill Ranford in, other than LA, it would be in Calgary. If he was randomly at Minnesota or Winnipeg, than it would raise eyebrows.

The bigger scouting news, was last weekend, and where the Flames brass was hanging out. 3 or their 5 pro scouts, including the main man Steve Pleau were in Detroit for the Detroit/Columbus game. Strangely enough, the night before they were taking in the Marlies/Grand Rapids game.

Now, it’s always possible they just met in the area randomly (as a group) and took in games, but then you’d expect the full staff to be there. Usually though, if you have that many in a random building, it means they’re looking at specific players.

Make of it what you may.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad