Confirmed with Link: Kings re-sign LaDue, Brodzinski, Mersch, Auger, Crescenzi, Leslie & MacDermid

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's a little bizarre to see Blake doing the 'show me' throwback contracts after the whole NHL has moved to locking people up for term. It's almost a net wash in a way--those long term deals can be gambles that can work out. The short term deals are no money this year, big money next year. But I guess they certainly give you more roster flexibility from year to year (which we definitely need--but when you have a championship team, you hope they're all locked up forever at their current prices!).

None of the recent signings were players that needed to be locked up for term. What they got was pretty standard for who they are. And it's possible that some of those players are not on his radar for the future. But they got what they should have.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Curious to know what's the consensus on Paul Ladue? How's he tracking and how will he fit into this year's Kings. My take was that he was doing well, thought he was going to get a 2-3 year contract.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Curious to know what's the consensus on Paul Ladue? How's he tracking and how will he fit into this year's Kings. My take was that he was doing well, thought he was going to get a 2-3 year contract.

I was very impressed with his play, even as far back as the preseason games. He is calm with the puck, gets the puck quickly out of the zone, and is good on the angles. I am sure he will have hiccups playing a full 82 game season, but he is exactly who we needed on the second pair to play with Muzzin or Martinez. I think our defensive pairs are going to be solid next season, and we will finally have true lefty-righty pairings.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I was very impressed with his play, even as far back as the preseason games. He is calm with the puck, gets the puck quickly out of the zone, and is good on the angles. I am sure he will have hiccups playing a full 82 game season, but he is exactly who we needed on the second pair to play with Muzzin or Martinez. I think our defensive pairs are going to be solid next season, and we will finally have true lefty-righty pairings.

Thanks!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Just a guess, but LaDue's contract probably has to do more with cap strategy than anything. I think everyone fully expects he is fully in the plan going forward.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

No way LaDue plays with Amart (except maybe pp or some protected bottom pair minutes). Muzzin/LaDue is a potential disaster.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
LaDue can make more on a multi-year deal after this season if he sticks with the big club all year.

As for his play, I liked his offensive IQ last season but he needs to get better at choosing when not to pinch and to be aware of opposing forwards slipping behind him to receive stretch passes.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
None of the recent signings were players that needed to be locked up for term. What they got was pretty standard for who they are. And it's possible that some of those players are not on his radar for the future. But they got what they should have.

i think it has more to do with how none of them have proven anything yet. Gravel was underwhelming at best and Ladue needs more games; the only two that I believe will be NHLers.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
i think it has more to do with how none of them have proven anything yet. Gravel was underwhelming at best and Ladue needs more games; the only two that I believe will be NHLers.

The only young prospect that actually took a step forward was Derek Forbort.

Everyone else is a giant (?)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think Ladue showed a lot of promise. Hope he can put it together. The Kings really need some luck and have one of these guys really blossom. Fingers crossed.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The thing that struck me about LaDue more than the others was his poise/IQ, even in the defensive end. I agree that he needs to learn his spots better, but appreciate that he was aggressive offensively. But he always looked like he knew exactly what to do, and was going to go do it--and rarely had to change directions or anything because he chose wrong, if that makes sense. Lot of calmness to his game. NHLer for sure, it's his ceiling that's the question.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The thing that struck me about LaDue more than the others was his poise/IQ, even in the defensive end. I agree that he needs to learn his spots better, but appreciate that he was aggressive offensively. But he always looked like he knew exactly what to do, and was going to go do it--and rarely had to change directions or anything because he chose wrong, if that makes sense. Lot of calmness to his game. NHLer for sure, it's his ceiling that's the question.

This is spot on. He already reads the play very well, I think he has the highest ceiling of the young D men by a good margin. He looks uncomfortable with the physicality of the NHL though, if he can overcome that he's got the sense to be a 2nd pairing guy.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is spot on. He already reads the play very well, I think he has the highest ceiling of the young D men by a good margin. He looks uncomfortable with the physicality of the NHL though, if he can overcome that he's got the sense to be a 2nd pairing guy.

Need to clockwork orange him with some voynov game tape. not a huge dude, but used his angles and leverage like a madman to defend, and learned how to absorb hits as well. LaDue needs to get past that shyness--though to be fair he seems more elusive than scared of being hit. Almost exactly the same size, too

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00