Confirmed with Link: Kings re-sign G Peter Budaj to one-year extension

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Shamelessly stolen from Caley

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=871853

Budaj, for those unaware, has been lights-out good in the AHL this season.

I have a feeling the Kings are thinking of giving him the back-up job behind Quick for next year, especially with prospect Patrik Bartosak still under suspension after being charged with domestic abuse.

We need the insurance just in case Enroth leaves, that's for sure. Will keep an eye out for the terms, have to imagine it's pretty cheap but maybe one-way to give Budaj some incentive.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Good. Need some semblance of stability in goal since our depth went to the crapper. Still facepalming with Bartosak...

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Yeah, I think this is more about ensuring we have some depth at the position rather that suggesting Enroth's days are numbered. Our Cupboard is essentially bare.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kings really do need to find another Martin Jones like free agent prospect in juniors or college.

Hell, find another Ersberg or Huet, just find a couple of goalies to address the lack of goaltending depth.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If Budaj is that good, I don't see Enroth coming back. $1 million or so cap hit difference could be used elsewhere if there is no drop off between Budaj and Enroth.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If Budaj is that good, I don't see Enroth coming back. $1 million or so cap hit difference could be used elsewhere if there is no drop off between Budaj and Enroth.

I think there is, but it can be mitigated by our defense and Ranford. Budaj should be serviceable.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I suspect drafting a goalie and/or trading for a goalie prospect to play in Ontario is going to be one of the important areas to address in the offseason. I am not sold on Budaj being our backup though. If Quick goes down, we are screwed. Then again, I guess we don't have much of a choice considering we can't afford to pay more than a $1 million for a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad