Confirmed with Link: Kings Re-Sign Clifford to 5-Year Deal

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=755101

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Kings have signed forward Kyle Clifford to a five-year contract extension, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

The 24-year-old Clifford (born on Jan. 13, 1991) is a 6-2, 208-pound native of Ayr, Ontario, has appeared in 333 career NHL regular season games, all with the Kings, totaling 58 points (25-33=58) and 462 penalty minutes.

This season, Clifford has tallied 10 points (3-7=10) a plus-1 rating and a team-leading 66 penalty minutes. Clifford appeared in his 300th NHL game, Dec. 2 vs. BOS.

A second round (35th overall) selection of the Kings at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Clifford has been a part of both Stanley Cup runs with Los Angeles in 2012 and 2014. He has played in 47 career postseason games, registering 14 points (4-10=14) and 56 penalty minutes, including assisting on Alec Martinez’s Stanley Cup clinching goal in Game 5 against the New York Rangers.

lotionmyfeet*

Lol, that was fast Ziggy...

He's been playing the best hockey of his career.. glad to have him around. Very deserved.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
Awesome. I was scared Nolan signing would mean he would be moved, but this is great news. His impact on the Kings is very underrated IMO.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
5 years? Prospects are going to find their chances of getting on the roster even more remote after yesterday's and today's extensions. Congrats, Clifford!

Wow, 5 years.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Only $1.6M cap hit. I was expecting something closer to $2M, which Clifford easily could have gotten as an RFA.

Another real good signing by Dean. Cost certainty for 5 years with Clifford is nice.

Clifford and Nolan are both signed to very reasonable deals now. It makes them great assets to trade should a younger player come along and earns a spot on the Kings' roster.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Looking at comparable players like Jared Boll, Chris Neil, Derek Dorsett, etc., Clifford's cap hit is in line with guys who play the same role he does.

Now I hope they look into moving Andreoff in return for a more useful player.

Captain Mittens*

clifford.jpg

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Only $1.6M cap hit. I was expecting something closer to $2M, which Clifford easily could have gotten as an RFA.

Another real good signing by Dean. Cost certainty for 5 years with Clifford is nice.

Clifford and Nolan are both signed to very reasonable deals now. It makes them great assets to trade should a younger player come along and earns a spot on the Kings' roster.

Exactly.

I didn't even necessarily want both of these guys back, but these deals Lombardi has managed are the right moves for sure.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I like how this deal locks him up for what should be the prime of his career. He's still got some upside, not as great as once thought but with a bit of luck that contract can become a bargain.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I like how this deal locks him up for what should be the prime of his career. He's still got some upside, not as great as once thought but with a bit of luck that contract can become a bargain.

I thin kit will be a bargain if he plays as he has most of this year over the next five years.
yes the cap may be stagnant this year, but it will surely go up within the next five years, at that point this will be a steal.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The re-signing of the bottom six guys is a smart, assertive move by Dean in order for him to plan out how much room he will have heading into the summer when it comes to re-signing his more prized RFAs (Toffoli, Pearson, Jones), and how much room he has to re-sign the UFAs (Regehr, Williams, Stoll if necessary).

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If he continues production (not raises, which isn't out of the question) this will hold positive value and be a bargain in the later years of the contract. Great deal for all parties.

I felt he played his best hockey of his career last Spring during the playoffs and he appears to be getting back to that form.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I wonder if these were just the first two dominoes. I bet that we will hear something soon in regards to new deals for Jones, Shore and Pearson. Toffoli may be a bit more complicated.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I wonder if these were just the first two dominoes. I bet that we will hear something soon in regards to new deals for Jones, Shore and Pearson. Toffoli may be a bit more complicated.

I think he is just working his way through the roster securing his bottom six so that he knows how much money he has to put towards his top end players.
I would assume he has been in contact with all agents. Maybe he can use these deals as bargaining chips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad