Kings Prospect Pool Voting: Ranking #4

Who is the #4 Kings prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The previous poll's about to close, and unfortunately I can't end it early, so I'm doing it based on the status of the poll at the time I created this thread.
Voting Results:
1. Brandt Clarke, D (98.8%)
2. Alex Turcotte, F (37.7%)
3. Francesco Pinelli, F (47.5%)

Added: Otto Salin

As always, vote and nominate who should replace him. As a reminder, cut off for this poll is Calder eligibility.

I will not vote in any polls unless there is a tiebreaker.

The players who can be added:
Angus Booth
Ryan Conmy
Kenny Connors
Braden Doyle
Samuel Helenius
Jack Hughes
Cole Krygier
Kaleb Lawrence
Andre Lee
Tyler Madden
Matthew Mania
Juho Markkanen
Ben Meehan
Jacob Moverare
Kim Nousiainen
Bulat Shafigullin
Kasper Simontaival
Hampton Slukynsky
Jack Sparkes
Taylor Ward
Jared Wright

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Laferriere, add Ward.

Walmart Lafreniere just feels like a solid bet to be an NHL swiss army knife, possible 20-20 guy, just plays a dependable game at a good level without extra frills.

I don't really see much of a gamebreaker amongst the rest--arguably maybe Chromiak or Fagemo--so easier for me to go with the high floor guy even with a lowerish ceiling

Reactions: King'sPawn

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
We actually don't have a terrible top ten. Chromiak, Laferriere, Fagemo, Dvorak, Portillo, Hughes, and Ziemmer are a respectable group that could result in a few NHLers, not to mention Clarke, Pinelli, and Turcotte.

I'm going with Laferriere here. I think Dvorak is better than we're giving him credit for too. Soft wingers don't inspire much confidence from me, so I'm not sure how to feel about Chromiak and Fagemo.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I picked Laf but I think Kirsanov is a better prospect. Unfortunately he’s stuck in Russia
I understand and agree. I'm still messing around with my own list but I have Kirsanov outside my top-10 because of his.
We actually don't have a terrible top ten. Chromiak, Laferriere, Fagemo, Dvorak, Portillo, Hughes, and Ziemmer are a respectable group that could result in a few NHLers, not to mention Clarke, Pinelli, and Turcotte.

I'm going with Laferriere here. I think Dvorak is better than we're giving him credit for too. Soft wingers don't inspire much confidence from me, so I'm not sure how to feel about Chromiak and Fagemo.
I agree. I'm trying to make my own list, and without the capability to "eliminate" candidates and move people around, it's actually very tough. I think there's a good pool of prospects, but of course, it depends on how they get developed.

Reactions: kings11

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
1- Brandt Clarke
2- Alex Turcotte
3- Francesco Pinelli
4- Alex Laferriere
5- Erik Portillo
6- Jakub Dvorak
7- Martin Chromiak
8- Kiril Kirsanov
9- Samuel Fagemo
10- Koehn Ziemmer

But i think Aatu Jamsen is going to be a big surprise and should be in the top 10 but idk who to cut at the moment

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Stupid autocorrect, we shouldn’t be talking politics into account when determining prospects but in the KHL/MHL/VHL our picks have been getting zero playing time. Hence as talented as they may be, there’s a real possibility that those prospects won’t develop properly

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
These polls are going to be pretty god damned sad here in the next few rounds.
Once you start getting to the 7th or 8th best prospect in any organization, the luster fades quite a bit.

There's a list of 34 players here, and my usual plan is to go down the entire list, because what else do we have to do for the summer? I found the results of my poll from two years ago and will post it for comparison in the end.

Myself, I made my own list from 1-34. Try to make a list. Even if you're thinking "who cares about the 23rd best prospect?" it's a cool exercise that's not as easy as it sounds. Jordan Nolan and Matt Roy were both 7th-round picks, so even on the Kings' draft lists, they were probably rated in the 70s on the Kings' scouting lists.

One of the people on the poll is actually outside my top-20, which is what makes these lists fun. People have different criteria. When you make your lists, you actually have to force yourself to think about what you value, what you think works and what doesn't, and how you stack all these variables up against another.

Let's just look at goalies. Slukynsky went 28-1-1 in high school as an 18 year-old. How does that stack against Erik Portillo, who went 25-11-2 in college? In college, Portillo's stats worsened compared to the previous year, even though he's a year older. Does that matter? Does the size of the goalies matter? Or the quality of competition?

Or to compare two forwards: Alex Laferriere seems to be in the lead for this poll, and he scored 31 points in 35 games his Freshman year at Harvard as a 20 year-old. Kenny Connors had 26 points in 32 games at UMass as a 19/20 year-old. Connors actually played internationally in the WJC and potted a couple goals for Team USA. Does that matter to you? I'm not saying it should or shouldn't. I'm just saying when you start looking into these prospects at the granular level, even players you may be forced to rank in the 20s has qualities and can still emerge as a quality player.

I know this nerdy aspect of my hobby isn't for everyone, but I'm not even voting except in the case of tiebreakers. I am still excited by how things will turn out. I love seeing how the list grows, and I look forward to compare my own list with this one. Slight spoiler, only Brandt Clarke matches the list so far, and three of my top-five are still on the board to be voted on. I'm also interested in seeing how this own list has evolved from the last time this was done two years ago.

My point is: the polls will be what you make of them. I am sorry you feel underwhelmed at what the list may look like after a few more days, but there are things you can do to be excited about this stuff if you want to.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Once you start getting to the 7th or 8th best prospect in any organization, the luster fades quite a bit.

There's a list of 34 players here, and my usual plan is to go down the entire list, because what else do we have to do for the summer? I found the results of my poll from two years ago and will post it for comparison in the end.

Myself, I made my own list from 1-34. Try to make a list. Even if you're thinking "who cares about the 23rd best prospect?" it's a cool exercise that's not as easy as it sounds. Jordan Nolan and Matt Roy were both 7th-round picks, so even on the Kings' draft lists, they were probably rated in the 70s on the Kings' scouting lists.

One of the people on the poll is actually outside my top-20, which is what makes these lists fun. People have different criteria. When you make your lists, you actually have to force yourself to think about what you value, what you think works and what doesn't, and how you stack all these variables up against another.

Let's just look at goalies. Slukynsky went 28-1-1 in high school as an 18 year-old. How does that stack against Erik Portillo, who went 25-11-2 in college? In college, Portillo's stats worsened compared to the previous year, even though he's a year older. Does that matter? Does the size of the goalies matter? Or the quality of competition?

Or to compare two forwards: Alex Laferriere seems to be in the lead for this poll, and he scored 31 points in 35 games his Freshman year at Harvard as a 20 year-old. Kenny Connors had 26 points in 32 games at UMass as a 19/20 year-old. Connors actually played internationally in the WJC and potted a couple goals for Team USA. Does that matter to you? I'm not saying it should or shouldn't. I'm just saying when you start looking into these prospects at the granular level, even players you may be forced to rank in the 20s has qualities and can still emerge as a quality player.

I know this nerdy aspect of my hobby isn't for everyone, but I'm not even voting except in the case of tiebreakers. I am still excited by how things will turn out. I love seeing how the list grows, and I look forward to compare my own list with this one. Slight spoiler, only Brandt Clarke matches the list so far, and three of my top-five are still on the board to be voted on. I'm also interested in seeing how this own list has evolved from the last time this was done two years ago.

My point is: the polls will be what you make of them. I am sorry you feel underwhelmed at what the list may look like after a few more days, but there are things you can do to be excited about this stuff if you want to.
FWIW:

My statement was a reflection of my feelings on the state of the prospect pool in relation to the NHL roster.

Lots of unrealized potential, coupled with first round exits, has made for a bleak outlook for me.

I too, need to get my hockey fix in the off-season, and these polls are a great way to do so.

• Love
Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
FWIW:

My statement was a reflection of my feelings on the state of the prospect pool in relation to the NHL roster.

Lots of unrealized potential, coupled with first round exits, has made for a bleak outlook for me.

I too, need to get my hockey fix in the off-season, and these polls are a great way to do so.
I understand. My apologies for misinterpreting before.

I hope this continues to give you enjoyment!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00