News Article: Kings prospect Kevin Gravel talks potential contract, pro debut

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Let's not go down this route, guys. We know who here does and does not have access to insider info and how. If we shut any of it down, we shut it all down, and bye bye discussion. If you have a problem with any of it, let a mod know, but rest assured if it's posted and not deleted, the poster has been vetted.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Another "Hmmmmm"? Come on, spill the beans, what do you know?

O.k. I am trying to back out of posting what I hear as after this last draft I will no longer have the same sort of access but KG's situation intrigued me so I asked around about what was going on. I spoke to several people who are exceptionally close to this situation and what I posted was true according to all of them. Kevin and the Kings are currently working on getting a deal done. They were said to be close right around the same time that Dowd was signed but due to timing decided to wait to try and get something done.

The Kings according to two different upper mgmt people have said "still very high on Kevin, nothing has changed at all" and "this will all work itself out, Kevin is still a very important part of our future so we hope to get this resolved one way or another".

All of that said still doesn't mean much to me as negotiations tend to be living things that can change with a phone call but as of yesterday pm through today the team is still very high on KG and according to KG's agent they are working on a deal with the team but he believes that there would be a considerable amount of interest in Kevin if he were to test the free agent market (obviously correctly so) and if something can't be worked out that they will look to free agency.

Chicken or the egg? I don't know. I asked if Kevin had fallen from favor at all with the team and two different people, one rumored to be the possible replacement for Morris and one who has decades of history with the team and they both have said nothing to make me believe that the team feels anything negative about him.

One final thing is that a scout with the Wild who I know/work around and I were talking and we discussed the potential of KG making the free agent mkt and he said "Gravel as a UFA? I highly doubt it but if he goes that route we will do whatever we can to get him to the Wild". KG is seen as a very very good young Dman with a pretty high upside. That is everything I have heard about him.

Rather or not he tests free agency or signs with the team is still up in the air but it has been made clear to me that the team and Kevin want a deal to be reached and also that if something doesn't happen KG won't have any trouble finding a team.

For what it's worth anyway. Kevin wants to be a King and the Kings still favor Kevin so you would think something should get done. Here's to hope.

Last edited:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Great info TG, thank you for posting, let's hope a deal can be reached with the kings

KingKopitar11*

Thank you TG. Always posting sexy, well detailed information.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
thanks TG. if it's left to me you can't step down/retire, etc.....we need your input to keep some sanity around here.

personally i've viewed this as a numbers and timing game. KG and his agent know he is a very valuable commodity at this time. KG will be able to line his pockets a bit more and likely accelerate his jump to the NHL the same way that J Schultz did. LA is slightly handcuffed by cap space at this time, so this becomes a waiting game for cap space to clear.

i think Dean needs to just up the contract value a bit to satisfy both sides. the contract will likely be in line with what Schultz received from EDM at $3.775 AAV. Capgeek is showing LA right now has $0 in cap space. i am sure KG is looking for some type of signing bonus to get him financially stable and LA has no money at this point. Dowd and Mersch each got around $90K.

i think this works out for us, it's just a time and money issue currently

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
thanks TG. if it's left to me you can't step down/retire, etc.....we need your input to keep some sanity around here.

personally i've viewed this as a numbers and timing game. KG and his agent know he is a very valuable commodity at this time. KG will be able to line his pockets a bit more and likely accelerate his jump to the NHL the same way that J Schultz did. LA is slightly handcuffed by cap space at this time, so this becomes a waiting game for cap space to clear.

i think Dean needs to just up the contract value a bit to satisfy both sides. the contract will likely be in line with what Schultz received from EDM at $3.775 AAV. Capgeek is showing LA right now has $0 in cap space. i am sure KG is looking for some type of signing bonus to get him financially stable and LA has no money at this point. Dowd and Mersch each got around $90K.

i think this works out for us, it's just a time and money issue currently

schultz may be officially 3.75 aav, but its not really. his elc pays him 925k in nhl thats his true aav. thats capped for elcs. the rest is bonuses, most which is restricted to nhl league wide awards. many of them very hard to get. so your looking more like 1-1.5 real aav (at BEST) unless gravel came in and just dominated (like doughty type numbers, actually would have to have better rookie year). in any case any bonus money earned past the 925k can be carried over to the next season(ie not counting against that years cap).

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the info TG, much appreciated.

Ditto. Thanks, TonellisGhost! I really want to see Kevin on our team. I want to see the defensive dominance of the Kings continue. Love your posts, as always. By the way, this retirement idea of yours...it's not working for us, 'kay? ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Let's not go down this route, guys. We know who here does and does not have access to insider info and how. If we shut any of it down, we shut it all down, and bye bye discussion. If you have a problem with any of it, let a mod know, but rest assured if it's posted and not deleted, the poster has been vetted.

This. Discussion is over people.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
From the Mayor:

The Mayor John Hoven @mayorNHL

One other #LAKings prospect note - contrary to some nonsense on the web, @glassandout7(kevin gravel) isn't waiting for free agency and LA still interested

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad