Kings Prospect #16

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Reminder, we are using Hockey'sFuture prospect rules.

Ok, I think I added the rest of the prospects to the list. Let me know if anyone is missing.

1. RW Tyler Toffoli 96.3% (LW Valentin Zykov 3.7%, NA)
Vote in: Kitsyn 11, Prokhorkin 3, Bartosak 1, Andreoff 1

2. LW Tanner Pearson 40.8% (LW Valentin Zykov 34.2%, C Linden Vey 15.8%)
Vote in: Prokhorkin 8, Bartosak 2, Miller 2, Andreoff 2, Berube 1, Roach 1, Hyka 1

3. C Linden Vey 44.3% (LW Valentin Zykov 41.8%, D Derek Forbort 5.1%)
Vote in: Andreoff 12, Bartosak 2, Deslauriers 2, Miller 1

4. LW Valentin Zykov 75.3% (D Derek Forbort 8.2%, D Kevin Gravel 5.5%)
Vote in: Ebert 3, Bartosak 2, Deslauriers 2, Miller 1

5. D Derek Forbort 35.8% (D Kevin Gravel 20.9%, LW Maxim Kitsyn 13.4%)
Vote in: Bartosak 3, Miller 2, Deslauriers 2, Brodzinski 1, Kubalik 1, Berube 1

6. D Kevin Gravel 34.9% (LW Maxim Kitysn 25.8%, RW Brandon Kozun 12.1%)
Vote in: Deslauriers 5, Miller 2, Fasching 1, Weal 1

7. LW Maxim Kitsyn 29.2% (C Andy Andreoff 26.4%, LW Nikolai Prokhorkin/C Nick Shore 11.1%)
Vote in: Weal 5, Miller 4, Fasching 2, Roach 1

8. C Andy Andreoff 40.3% (LW Nikolai Prokhorkin 20.5%, C Nick Shore 14.9%)
Vote in: Miller 4, Roach 3, Fasching 2, Dowd 1, Auger 1

9. C Nick Shore 39.3% (LW Nikolai Prokhorkin 27.9%, RW Brandon Kozun 11.5%)
Vote in: Roach 6, Fasching 3, LaDue 1

10. LW Nikolai Prokhorkin 44.3% (RW Brandon Kozun 19.7%, G Martin Jones 14.8%)
Vote in: Fasching 8, LaDue 2, Dowd 1, MacDermid 1, Auger 1, Hyka 1

11. RW Brandon Kozun 27.5% (LW Michael Mersch 25.5%, G Martin Jones 19.6%)
Vote in: Auger 3, LaDue 2, Dowd 1, Hyka 1, Cznarik 1, Brodzinski 1

12. G Martin Jones 25.0% (LW Michael Mersch/D Nic Deslauriers 22.9%)
Vote in: LaDue/Brodzinski 2, Dowd 1, Hyka 1, Berube 1

13. LW Michael Mersch 55.0% (D Nic Deslauriers 20.0%, D Nick Ebert/RW Hudson Fasching/D Colin Miller/C Jordan Weal 5.0%)

14. D Nic Deslauriers 46.0% (D Colin Miller 16.2%, G Patrik Bartosak 10.8%)

15. D Colin Miller 31.6% (C Jordan Weal 15.8%, G Patrik Bartosak/C Nic Dowd 10.5%)

Flabbergasted people continue to underrate Bartosak.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Went Berube.

Bartosak would be next.

But Weal will end up winning. I didn't have him in my top 15 and my next few after that aren't even him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I have Weal 20th. Bartosak's a little bit higher at 18. Goalies are hardest to rank for me, though, because a lot is what goes on between the ears. Plus it's a volatile position. We saw the transition Jones had to make after putting up unreal numbers, too.

Macdermid is my vote, and chances are I'll be alone on this one for a while.

Mike The Franchise

Sep 22, 2008
Los Angeles
Used to be high on Weal but I don't see it anymore. Going with Ebert solely for the potential that he has next pick for me would be a toss up between Berube or Bartosak.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I have Weal 20th. Bartosak's a little bit higher at 18. Goalies are hardest to rank for me, though, because a lot is what goes on between the ears. Plus it's a volatile position. We saw the transition Jones had to make after putting up unreal numbers, too.

I like Macdermid too, but I went with Dowd.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

This is pretty close to my list except bump them up about 4 spots. MacDermid is to huge of a question mark to me but I can understand a vote for him. My list at this point goes; Dowd, Bartosak, Kozun, Miller, Roach, Weal. I will say though that I have Deslauriers no where in my top 20. Just don't see what others do in him.

Captain Mittens*

we-shall-overcome.jpg

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This is pretty close to my list except bump them up about 4 spots. MacDermid is to huge of a question mark to me but I can understand a vote for him. My list at this point goes; Dowd, Bartosak, Kozun, Miller, Roach, Weal. I will say though that I have Deslauriers no where in my top 20. Just don't see what others do in him.

Agreed. I have spoke before that I don't care much for him and got lambasted for it but I'll say it again. He just doesn't look like an NHL defenseman to me. A lot of decent tools, but I just don't see what will make him an NHL regular.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Agreed. I have spoke before that I don't care much for him and got lambasted for it but I'll say it again. He just doesn't look like an NHL defenseman to me. A lot of decent tools, but I just don't see what will make him an NHL regular.

Hehehe. My scouting report of ND...

benchtop.jpg

Not pictured: toolbox.

Crowne Royale

Jan 16, 2012
I'd prefer to see these rankings by position. It's not like someone gets called up because they're the 11th best prospect in the system...

Plus it's hard to draw an overall distinction between say a Bartosak and a Weal, plus little evidence is ever cited for why the prospects get ranked where they are.

Pearson is a better prospect than Andreoff for example, but does that mean his NHL opportunity is closer than Andreoff's?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I'd prefer to see these rankings by position. It's not like someone gets called up because they're the 11th best prospect in the system...

Plus it's hard to draw an overall distinction between say a Bartosak and a Weal, plus little evidence is ever cited for why the prospects get ranked where they are.

Pearson is a better prospect than Andreoff for example, but does that mean his NHL opportunity is closer than Andreoff's?

I try to keep organizational need in mind when doing my rankings. The Kings are stacked at Center right now for instance so that's one of the big reasons I have Toffoli and Pearson above Vey, both are likely more valuable to the Kings because they are weaker at those Wing positions. It's right there with NHL readiness as a tiebreaker between two guys that are very close.

It's something to consider but again like NHL readiness it shouldn't be THE determining factor when ranking players, otherwise you end up with a bunch of guys like Cliché, Andreoff, Campbell, and Kozun making up the top 10... That just aint right.

Forgot to mention that there is a positional breakdown over on the Kings' Hockey's Future page. /cheap plug

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
I try to keep organizational need in mind when doing my rankings. The Kings are stacked at Center right now for instance so that's one of the big reasons I have Toffoli and Pearson above Vey, both are likely more valuable to the Kings because they are weaker at those Wing positions. It's right there with NHL readiness as a tiebreaker between two guys that are very close.

It's something to consider but again like NHL readiness it shouldn't be THE determining factor when ranking players, otherwise you end up with a bunch of guys like Cliché, Andreoff, Campbell, and Kozun making up the top 10... That just aint right.

Forgot to mention that there is a positional breakdown over on the Kings' Hockey's Future page. /cheap plug

By your logic, our top prospects should only be guys we have just drafted, just turned pro, or just signed their entry level deals. Andreoff and Kozun are highly regarded prospects within NHL circles, and have far more value at this point in their careers than players like Mersch or Shore, just to use as examples. Point is, production is what matters. "Potential" only takes you so far, especially when a player has not even turned pro yet. It is the wrong approach to evaluate our prospects based off of "potential" only, especially when they have never played a game against grown men yet. It is quite a jump from Major Junior/College hockey to the AHL/NHL level. While I am a big proponent of looking at the types of numbers a player puts up at the lower levels, they are not/will not be indicative of how they perform after turning pro. Production there will turn on the opportunity the player is given by the organization, their mental and physical toughness, and overall talent. Our prospect list should not be a bunch of 18-19 year olds we just drafted in the last 2 years.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
By your logic, our top prospects should only be guys we have just drafted, just turned pro, or just signed their entry level deals. Andreoff and Kozun are highly regarded prospects within NHL circles, and have far more value at this point in their careers than players like Mersch or Shore, just to use as examples. Point is, production is what matters. "Potential" only takes you so far, especially when a player has not even turned pro yet. It is the wrong approach to evaluate our prospects based off of "potential" only, especially when they have never played a game against grown men yet. It is quite a jump from Major Junior/College hockey to the AHL/NHL level. While I am a big proponent of looking at the types of numbers a player puts up at the lower levels, they are not/will not be indicative of how they perform after turning pro. Production there will turn on the opportunity the player is given by the organization, their mental and physical toughness, and overall talent. Our prospect list should not be a bunch of 18-19 year olds we just drafted in the last 2 years.

Where in my post did I even hint at either of these? Seriously, point it out please? I get that we have different methods of judging prospects and ranking them but c'mon man, quit putting words in my mouth please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad