News Article: Kings Nearing Deal with Slava Voynov - Agent

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
His agent said that they were close to an agreement and that Voynov is leaning towards staying in LA rather than moving to the KHL.

“Slava is in contract talks with Los Angeles and we should come to an agreement in the very near future,†said Tyzhnykh, suggesting Voynov will not sign with his hometown Traktor Chelyabinsk, which offered him a deal to return to Russia earlier this week.

"We haven't given them an answer yet," he said. "But I won't hide it, Slava is leaning toward Los Angeles. After all, he's been in the Kings system for five years and everything in the organization suits him."

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130615/667935310.html

Last edited:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Good news, but I'll remain skeptical until its over and done with. The KHL can **** off, we need him.

I kinda wish we had more Russian players on the team, relieving any form of alienation he might feel. Nail Yakupov?

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I second the idea that we should be taking a harder look at the Russian league for what we can poach. But aside from that. Very happy if this goes through.

Hey KHL....

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I imagine Dean and Slava's agent sitting in a room writing numbers on napkins and sliding them across the table :laugh:

stonedhenge

Jun 29, 2010
Slava will get paid probably more than Dean would want. I'd say 5-5.5M AVV at least with this KHL interference.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The KHL is pretty much a front for organized crime with some good Intl hockey being played in some great to totally sketchy arenas. Travel can be very troubling and accommodations can be dated more often than not and it can be near impossible to find great food in several towns leaving players eating at the actual rinks that they play in.

There things that loosely translate to what would be called a "compliance fee" that can cost exceptional amounts of money. It isn't uncommon for a player to be "paid" a high dollar contract and then "asked" to make "donations" to the team to help get equipment and busses etc.

The KHL's culture is entirely different than the NHL but in many ways it is closer to what players who grew up in those countries expect things to work so for the most part nothing is ever really said or done about it.

Pay to play.

Saying ANY player who has played in the NHL is "leaning" towards remaining here is likely a complete and total understatement.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
The KHL is pretty much a front for organized crime with some good Intl hockey being played in some great to totally sketchy arenas. Travel can be very troubling and accommodations can be dated more often than not and it can be near impossible to find great food in several towns leaving players eating at the actual rinks that they play in.

There things that loosely translate to what would be called a "compliance fee" that can cost exceptional amounts of money. It isn't uncommon for a player to be "paid" a high dollar contract and then "asked" to make "donations" to the team to help get equipment and busses etc.

The KHL's culture is entirely different than the NHL but in many ways it is closer to what players who grew up in those countries expect things to work so for the most part nothing is ever really said or done about it.

Pay to play.

Saying ANY player who has played in the NHL is "leaning" towards remaining here is likely a complete and total understatement.

I would never second guess your info but do you have a source for any of that stuff? I'd love to read more about the seedy side of the KHL.

EDIT: Actually I just found a pretty interesting article: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...gs_dodgy_air_travel_all_part_of_the_game.html

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
By saying "leaning" he's trying to provoke the KHL to up their offer, as they'll think they may still have a chance. KHL increases theirs, suddenly he has more leverage against Dean.

Slava isn't going anywhere.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I would never second guess your info but do you have a source for any of that stuff? I'd love to read more about the seedy side of the KHL.

EDIT: Actually I just found a pretty interesting article: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...gs_dodgy_air_travel_all_part_of_the_game.html

There are plenty of articles out there about the KHL but when I write about it I am writing through my own personal experiences. I was lucky enough to have been able to spend the majority of 3 seasons following several KHL SEL and other league games in person. The majority of games I attended were KHL and other levels of Russian hockey (loose term).

The thing that will be harder to find is how much influence there is on Russian (and other) players in North America by the exact same groups that influence them overseas. Take a stroll through Brighton Beach and you can get a pretty good feel for it.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am expecting a stopgap contract at 2-3 years. Kinda like what Jack Johnson did, but much more expensive, somewhere around $4 million +/- $500k or so per year would be my guess. After that, assuming he maintains performance, he'd be looking at a long term $5-6 million per year deal.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Take these at face value...

@rsport_en 15 Jun
BREAKING: Slava #Voynov to sign with #LAKings in "very near future," agent tells R-Sport. More to come. http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130615/667935310.html … … #NHL
@Rotoworld_HK 3h
Report: Slava Voynov close to inking w/ Kings http://dlvr.it/3WtVn5
@Nichols_NHLPool 23h
Slava Voynov's agent tells R-Sport the RFA should be signing w/ #LAKings "in the very near future." Confirms #KHL offer from Traktor.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I am expecting a stopgap contract at 2-3 years. Kinda like what Jack Johnson did, but much more expensive, somewhere around $4 million +/- $500k or so per year would be my guess. After that, assuming he maintains performance, he'd be looking at a long term $5-6 million per year deal.

Agree wholeheartedly. I think a stopgap type of deal would be best for both the Kings and Slava.

A contract with low term is ideal for someone who has shown signs of brilliance but has lot of room to develop. Slava, imo, needs more NHL experience under his belt before we give him his long-term deal.

As for the Kings, it would certainly help alleviate their tricky cap situation and obviously allow them to allot more money to their RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad