Rumor: Kings looking trade for top 4 LHD, willing to give 2nd round pick +

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Just like everyone said. You don't get good top four D in a trade for as little as a 2nd round pick. Hence why the Kings ultimately ended up with a third pairing guy with a gross contract for the next two years.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Other than the fact that Maata is terrible and overpaid even with the retention, you would be correct.

Well given several Blackhawk fans have said he was very solid last year, and they probably have spent more time watching his game, gonna trust their opinion just a bit more on this one.

Kings got their LHD that can play 2nd line when call upon and gave up nothing.

High reward no risk, cuz they still have boatloads of cap space, the contract for the Kings really is not an issue.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Clague is still waiver -exempt this coming season. He will not be prior to the 21-22 campaign. I would not be surprised if he didn't continue to improve and show the potential to play NHL defense this year then they would consider packaging him at the trade deadline for at least something in return so they don't risk losing him in the expansion draft for nothing. He does has some excellent skill as a puck mover, a hard shot from the blue line that can score, and good vision. He could man an NHL power play right now. But his defense has been inconsistent at best. His reads need to be a tick faster, he needs to be stronger both physically and positionally. So it's a huge year for him. We have to remember a lot of NHL D men don't break in until they are around 23-24 years old. Heck, despite the fact it feels like he's been around forever, Cole Hults is actually older than Clague.

Hm, CapFriendly says he’s waiver-exempt. Looks like I was wrong on that one.

Reactions: Guitpik

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I guess we can close this one.
2nd rounders for good defenders is overpaying now.
We will pursuit the route of getting them for free.
:laugh:

Sometimes you are full of **** and other times you counter with this. :thumbu:

Hm, CapFriendly says he’s waiver-exempt. Looks like I was wrong on that one.
yes i couldnt imagine he wasnt.

That said, he drastically needs to improve his defense.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just like everyone said. You don't get good top four D in a trade for as little as a 2nd round pick. Hence why the Kings ultimately ended up with a third pairing guy with a gross contract for the next two years.

You're continuing to misrepresent the facts. No one said that the Kings were looking for a "good" top-4 D for as little as a 2nd round pick. They were looking for "a" top-4 D and were willing to part with "at least" a 2nd-round pick. Also, saying that they acquired a "third pairing guy with a gross contract" seems like an exaggeration, since a lot of people think that he's a serviceable 2nd-pairing guy and the Kings are getting him for only $3.33M, which doesn't seem all that bad for an experienced Cup winner in his prime.

You're acting like you called this, but, earlier in this thread, you were arguing that the Kings might get a fringe top-4 D in exchange for a 2nd round pick. You doubted even that, though, because teams aren't looking to trade those.

The Madrigal said:
Because a fringe NHL D just got traded for a 4th round pick yesterday. Teams always overpay for D in this league. Perhaps since the Kings own an early 2nd with pick 35 they can get something done but they aren't getting a high end top four guy even for that.
The Madrigal said:
Still won't happen unless the player is a fringe top four D who is significantly overpaid. NHL teams are always looking for MORE top four D, not looking to trade them away from future assets.

Considering that Maatta is a fringe top-4 D (which seems to be the majority opinion) that a team just traded away, not even for future assets, but basically just for cap space (which you argued with another poster that teams wouldn't do), it looks like you were wrong.

Also, it's confirmation bias to assume, to fit your argument, that the Kings couldn't find any top-4 D for a 2nd-round pick plus. For all that we know, Blake had offers for the #35 overall pick, but felt that getting Maatta for free was much better value than paying significantly more for only a marginally better defenseman.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
LMAO, Maata is horrible. Keep telling yourself you got a borderline top four guy, maybe it'll make it true.

Nice rebuttal. The irony is that you're the one repeatedly using hyperbole like "horrible" and "terrible" to describe him, as if that makes it true. Such assessment is not very credible and looks like petty trashing of a player because he was on a rival team for so long.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
So on top of giving the Hawks a zero value player/asset and making them retain on cap for a couple years, did Blake make them take back a contract spot too?

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
LMAO, Maata is horrible. Keep telling yourself you got a borderline top four guy, maybe it'll make it true.

I’m fine even if he’s a bottom-pairing guy at best. You’re making a mountain out of a molehill for no reason. The Kings got a guy that might contribute for free.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
If four games is all the opportunity you need to write off a young prospect, I'm not sure what to say. I guess we should just release Bjornfot too? Three games played, zero points, minus three. Kid'll never make it.

Clague is 22 Bjornfot is 19. And both Tobias and Anderson already passed him on the depth chart with other prospects not to far behind. Like I said if Clague dosn't earn a spot this year and at least show some progression he won't be part of our future. He should be waiver eligible which is why I think we should explore more opportunities for quality LD.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I’m fine even if he’s a bottom-pairing guy at best. You’re making a mountain out of a molehill for no reason. The Kings got a guy that might contribute for free.
Wrong. I'm simply trying to talk some sense into the ''see, we got a good top four D and it even cost less than a 2nd round pick.'' Maata is a good third paring guy AT BEST who has spent the better part of recent seasons simply looking like a bad player. Cap issues or not, any Kings fan might want to pump the breaks and wonder why Chicago was so willing to retain and essentially give Maata away. If the Kings get a solid third pairing guy albeit overpaid at the 3 million it will cost them their fans should be happy.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Nice rebuttal. The irony is that you're the one repeatedly using hyperbole like "horrible" and "terrible" to describe him, as if that makes it true. Such assessment is not very credible and looks like petty trashing of a player because he was on a rival team for so long.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you would be incorrect with everything you said. Maata isn't a good hockey player, plain and simple.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sorry to burst your bubble but you would be incorrect with everything you said. Maata isn't a good hockey player, plain and simple.

I'm not incorrect about you calling him "horrible" twice today and "terrible" once or about your profile listing your favorite team as the Flyers. Are we supposed to just take your word for it that your assessment is unbiased, credible and accurate because you say so, especially in spite of the fact that you've written his name half a dozen times today and misspelled it each and every time?

Last edited:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You're continuing to misrepresent the facts. No one said that the Kings were looking for a "good" top-4 D for as little as a 2nd round pick. They were looking for "a" top-4 D and were willing to part with "at least" a 2nd-round pick. Also, saying that they acquired a "third pairing guy with a gross contract" seems like an exaggeration, since a lot of people think that he's a serviceable 2nd-pairing guy and the Kings are getting him for only $3.33M, which doesn't seem all that bad for an experienced Cup winner in his prime.

You're acting like you called this, but, earlier in this thread, you were arguing that the Kings might get a fringe top-4 D in exchange for a 2nd round pick. You doubted even that, though, because teams aren't looking to trade those.

Considering that Maatta is a fringe top-4 D (which seems to be the majority opinion) that a team just traded away, not even for future assets, but basically just for cap space (which you argued with another poster that teams wouldn't do), it looks like you were wrong.

Also, it's confirmation bias to assume, to fit your argument, that the Kings couldn't find any top-4 D for a 2nd-round pick plus. For all that we know, Blake had offers for the #35 overall pick, but felt that getting Maatta for free was much better value than paying significantly more for only a marginally better defenseman.

His argument is like a baby Pokemon. It has at least two evolutions.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Wrong. I'm simply trying to talk some sense into the ''see, we got a good top four D and it even cost less than a 2nd round pick.'' Maata is a good third paring guy AT BEST who has spent the better part of recent seasons simply looking like a bad player. Cap issues or not, any Kings fan might want to pump the breaks and wonder why Chicago was so willing to retain and essentially give Maata away. If the Kings get a solid third pairing guy albeit overpaid at the 3 million it will cost them their fans should be happy.
This is talking sense into Kings fans?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Bro the Kings have infinity cap space and next to zero expectations this year. "Pump the brakes" is just hilarious. We got a seat filler. You're way too invested in telling us how terrible he is.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Time to get the band back together.

OTGL.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad