112DallasDenis GurianovRTolyatti (Russia Jrs.)100002016-17
113BostonJakub ZborilDSaint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]
114BostonJake DeBruskLSwift Current Broncos [WHL]64142539192017-18
115BostonZachary SenyshynRSault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL]
116NY IslandersMathew BarzalCSeattle Thunderbirds [WHL]74195473322017-18
117WinnipegKyle ConnorLYoungstown Phantoms [USHL]86272249202017-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Jets scouting staff must literally shit themselves at the draft.

They have been able to look like geniuses with some of their picks.

Winnipeg has been able to acquire some absolute top shelf talent in the draft and specifically in the 1st round.

Reactions: Jets 31

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Can't imagine how expensive Connor would be if we bridged him on his contract after that bridge.

At this moment he deserves no more than Ehlers on a long term. however if we have to bridge him for 3 years to keep Stastny he may end up a little higher.

He has had some very incredible opportunity for a young player though. perhaps he realizes this.

Reactions: Tommigun

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The Jets obliterated a top end opponent in the Western Conference tonight. We corsi'd the shit outta em. We posted 7 high danger chances to their 1 5vs5.

The team continues to do what it's supposed to do to teams who are bad or who are coming into the game at a disadvantage. We pound them with whoever is healthy enough to be in the lineup.

Shout out to Kyle Connor, whom had an amazing game. The guy I watched tonight is night and day from the player who got sent back down to the AHL before the start of the year. I know some still love to shit on PoMo for sending him to the AHL at the start but IMO it was the right call but this kid has elevated his game since he was given the chance and has made himself a everyday top end player. His puck pursuit is so f***ing good now.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I haven't looked at the numbers yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and call that a Scorsi, Corsi and xGF win.

Yep. Quite the drubbing on the stats side - LA's goalie kept this thing from being a rout:

gameShots-2018-03-20-2017021128-L.AatWPG.png

tide-2018-03-20-2017021128-L.AatWPG.png

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
What a game, Comrie was solid I thought he would let in 4 I am happily eating crow, KC, Lowry Ehlers hell the whole team was fantastic. That had to be one of the most dominant games of the season. It is going to be a hell of a ride this spring.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Lot of positives on this game (Farmer, Comrie etc.) but I'd rather have a L with no injuries for key players than a W with a key player injured, unless it's the 7th final in playoffs.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was screaming at my screen when during OT Scheif-Wheels-Buff were more than 1 minute into their shift when they finally got posession of the puck and instead of going for a line change they went into the offensive zone for an offensive opportunity. Come on. You guys are already gassed on 1+ minute shift on OT and instead of making the safe play and go for a change you go for that play? That kind of selfish play has cost us points in OT. Maurice needs to bring the hammer down on this, if you are in OT and are over 35 seconds into your shift and have the possession of the puck, two guys need to make a change while one takes the puck back in the d zone behind the net. Wheeler is esp bad at staying out long on OT shifts.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
BUT IT IS A COIN TOSS!!1!

You want to see a 3v3 matchup that ISN'T a coin toss?

* A litany of evidence that shows virtually zero correlation between 3v3 OT aptitude and 5v5 regulation aptitude, despite a 5v5 win metric with strong correlation (possession) cited as being even MORE critical in 3v3.
* A litany of evidence that shows virtually zero sustainability in 3v3 performance year-over-year, exactly as one would find when repeating batches of coin tosses.
* A multi-billion dollar industry that revolves entirely around assessment of future probability, that has yet to be spotted predicting one team as better than a 55-45 favorite in overtime.

versus

* CAPS LOCK SCREAMING.
* Terribly clever use of "1" for an exclamation mark, as if to imply typing so fevered that the pressure on the shift key was wavering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Jets held Laine out to sandbag him to save on his next contract. Am I doing this right?
Nope, you're doing it wrong. I believe that he was injured when blocking a shot. It's probably a concussion, according to Maurice. They amputated his leg for good measure.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
You want to see a 3v3 matchup that ISN'T a coin toss?

* A litany of evidence that shows virtually zero correlation between 3v3 OT aptitude and 5v5 regulation aptitude, despite a 5v5 win metric with strong correlation (possession) cited as being even MORE critical in 3v3.
* A litany of evidence that shows virtually zero sustainability in 3v3 performance year-over-year, exactly as one would find when repeating batches of coin tosses.
* A multi-billion dollar industry that revolves entirely around assessment of future probability, that has yet to be spotted predicting one team as better than a 55-45 favorite in overtime.

versus

* CAPS LOCK SCREAMING.
* Terribly clever use of "1" for an exclamation mark, as if to imply typing so fevered that the pressure on the shift key was wavering.
I am sure that by now everyone who reads these boards know that you think that the OT 3 vs 3 is a coin toss. You have made that pretty clear.

You should be happy with KC, Little and Morrissey getting the W although the usual suspects of Wheeler, Buff and Chef once again failed to understand the fundamentals of OT and nearly lost the game for us.

Reactions: scelaton

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I am sure that by now everyone who reads these boards know that you think that the OT 3 vs 3 is a coin toss. You have made that pretty clear

Virtually a coin toss, yes. If you're going to ridicule my position with taunts and derision, don't be surprised if I take a little effort to expound just how absolutely devoid of evidence your position is.

You should be happy with KC, Little and Morrissey getting the W although the usual suspects of Wheeler, Buff and Chef once again failed to understand the fundamentals of OT and nearly lost the game for us.

In nearly every overtime, and including this one, you can point to a glorious opportunity for the team that lost. That's a big part of the reason why it's virtually a coin toss. What makes me "happy" is watching people desperate to peddle a narrative have to choose between eating some crow or doubling down as they continue to be proven wrong.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Just show me the evidence that 3v3 has any significant skill component. Show me what metric with which we can predict OT winners with, say, even HALF of the accuracy that we can predict 5v5 winners. I'm all ears and eyes. And I'd welcome the opportunity. That's because I based my position after reviewing the evidence, not jammed an idea into my superstitious brain after a mighty sample size of 6, and then desperately shoe-horned every observation to spare me the agony of cognitive dissonance; to wit:

"The Jets are 0-6 in OT, that just proves that they're bad in OT"
"The Jets went 3-2 in their next five OTs? My god, how lucky they've gotten for a team that's so bad in OT!"

So yes, I actually would welcome any and all opportunity you can give me to improve my understanding.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Just show me the evidence that 3v3 has any significant skill component. Show me what metric with which we can predict OT winners with, say, even HALF of the accuracy that we can predict 5v5 winners. I'm all ears and eyes. And I'd welcome the opportunity. That's because I based my position after reviewing the evidence, not jammed an idea into my superstitious brain after a mighty sample size of 6, and then desperately shoe-horned every observation to spare me the agony of cognitive dissonance; to wit:

"The Jets are 0-6 in OT, that just proves that they're bad in OT"
"The Jets went 3-2 in their next five OTs? My god, how lucky they've gotten for a team that's so bad in OT!"

So yes, I actually would welcome any and all opportunity you can give me to improve my understanding.
Judging by your posts I don't think you are open for it. I can drop you a clue though – look who scored the game winner last night.
By your logic it doesn't matter who you put out there, or what directions you give them.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Judging by your posts I don't think you are open for it.

My posts on the subject include in-depth statistical analysis over years of data, and my own research into what much bigger corporations with much bigger stakes in the issue say, whereas yours so far is "BUT IT'S ALL A COIN TOSS!!1! . Which is the one of us that's open to objective analysis on the topic?

"I would post my evidence but I don't think you're up for it", right up there with "Oh I really do have psychic powers but I don't use them to win the lottery because that would be unethical."

Lay it on me. What metric are you privy to that can predict the winner in 3v3 OT with even half of the regularity we can predict 5v5 winners?

I can drop you a clue though – look who scored the game winner last night.

And look who scored the last OT winner (Tyler Myers) and the one before that (Little, from Byfuglien). By your logic, those goals didn't happen because those players suck in 3v3.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
My posts on the subject include in-depth statistical analysis over years of data, and my own research into what much bigger corporations with much bigger stakes in the issue say, whereas yours so far is "BUT IT'S ALL A COIN TOSS!!1! Which is the one of us that's open to objective analysis on the topic?

"I would post my evidence but I don't think you're up for it", right up there with "Oh I really do have psychic powers but I don't use them to win the lottery because that would be unethical."

Lay it on me. What metric are you privy to that can predict the winner in 3v3 OT with even half of the regularity we can predict 5v5 winners?

And look who scored the last OT winner (Tyler Myers) and the one before that (Little, from Byfuglien). By your logic, those goals didn't happen because those players suck in 3v3.
What I am saying is that some players are more suited to play in OT than others, and you are saying that it doesn't matter who plays out there. I think that every coach out there tries to get their skill guys out, but hey, what do they know.I just think that Maurice picks the wrong skill guys to go with from the start. We can agree to disagree on that, but you are being kind of silly bringing up psychic powers and lottery and what not. Just stick to your coin toss.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
What I am saying is that some players are more suited to play in OT than others, and you are saying that it doesn't matter who plays out there. I think that every coach out there tries to get their skill guys out, but hey, what do they know.I just think that Maurice picks the wrong skill guys to go with from the start. We can agree to disagree on that, but you are being kind of silly bringing up psychic powers and lottery and what not. Just stick to your coin toss.
I mean all of Scheifele, wheeler and Byfuglien have heavily contributed to any overtime success we've had in the past couple of years.

I think it's a bit silly to say they're the "wrong skill guys" when they're literally some of the best players in their position in the league. The only thing I have a problem with is them staying out too long, or PoMo sending them out when they're tired. They 100% should be sent out in overtime, probably first over the boards too, but then you need to go through 2 or 3 other forward groups before going back to them. Cycle between Scheif-Wheeler, Stastny-Laine, Little-Ehlers, Perreault-Connor or something like that.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What I am saying is that some players are more suited to play in OT than others, and you are saying that it doesn't matter who plays out there. I think that every coach out there tries to get their skill guys out, but hey, what do they know.I just think that Maurice picks the wrong skill guys to go with from the start. We can agree to disagree on that, but you are being kind of silly bringing up psychic powers and lottery and what not. Just stick to your coin toss, buddy.

Btw, If you lack the sense of humour and have a problem with the use of a :blah:, then maybe you you should tone it down a notch instead of acting like know-it-all every time on this topic. I mean, you have written so much on this topic that :blah: fits the bill...

I have a fine sense of humor. I also know that if someone mocks me with a childish taunt, and then mocks me again with a second childish taunt for standing up to the first one, it's not "humor" that's on their mind.

I'm not acting like a "know-it-all" in the least. I'm acting like I have evidence (which I do) and I'm acting as if an argument is more significant if it's backed by evidence (which it is), and I respond to people whose criticism of my position calls for a rebuttal (which yours did).

And the comparison to psychics who claim they actually do have powers, they just "refuse to use them to win the lottery for ethical reasons" is matched up against your implication that you DID have evidence but "nah you really aren't interested in objective evidence". I stand by the accuracy of that comparison.

you are saying that it doesn't matter who plays out there

Not in the least. Let me guess, when I correct you once again on your deliberate misrepresentation of my position, you're going to ridicule me again for responding? Yeah, no thanks.

If you ever do find any metric that actually predicts 3v3 success with even half the efficacy that we can predict 5v5 success, you can lay it on me. Until then, if you don't want me responding to your taunts, don't taunt me. Nice and simple.

Reactions: buggs

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I mean all of Scheifele, wheeler and Byfuglien have heavily contributed to any overtime success we've had in the past couple of years.

I think it's a bit silly to say they're the "wrong skill guys" when they're literally some of the best players in their position in the league. The only thing I have a problem with is them staying out too long, or PoMo sending them out when they're tired. They 100% should be sent out in overtime, probably first over the boards too, but then you need to go through 2 or 3 other forward groups before going back to them. Cycle between Scheif-Wheeler, Stastny-Laine, Little-Ehlers, Perreault-Connor or something like that.
My biggest gripe is with how long Buff and Wheeler stay out on their shifts in OT. I would like to put the blame on coaching since I think that they are excellent players, but I don't know if it's on the coach not giving directions or them not following them. Wheeler also has a tendency to force the play when carrying the puck deep instead of taking advantage of all the extra space that you have in 3 on 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad