Kings fan guest on your Board requests straight-talk on Brayden McNabb

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Thanks, Rob!
:handclap:

Interesting and useful observations.

If nothing else, with all the new info I have on him,
McNabb will be a very interesting player to watch next season.

And I still hope to see him crush many Anaheim Ducks.
:)

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
So far, so good

McNabb is looking solid most nights----seldom very bad, and occasionally outstanding (like last nite against Florida).
His mobility is less than any other King D-Man other than Greene, but he is learning to play more patiently over time, IMO.

His hitting is under-control and seldom over-the-line, his shotblocking looks good, positional play, presence-of-mind and discipline improving rapidly.

The Voynov absence has given him more icetime, and he has responded very positively in his play.

Starting to show a bit of offense now. That part may take a season or 2 to fully engage. But we saw a flash of what may become much more commonplace in a couple years----
His pass to Greene, after taking a nice cross-ice feed from Kopi was deadeye, on-the-money.

After the game McNabb said he was still putting his emphasis on taking care of his own zone first, and projected a calm, realistic view of his own priorities on the ice.

Thumbs-up so far.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I did not like the deal at all. Sure Fasching for 2 2nds whatever but McNabb for Deslauriers is a joke. Deslauriers blows. 4th line bum his whole career who will score 10 goals a year if lucky.

ZeroPT*

I did not like the deal at all. Sure Fasching for 2 2nds whatever but McNabb for Deslauriers is a joke. Deslauriers blows. 4th line bum his whole career who will score 10 goals a year if lucky.

Quit being dramatic.

If you're looking at value straight up then yes, but the deal was to get Fasching. That was the point. The sabres identified him, and got him. That's something Darcy would never have done.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011

Where do you envision McNabb playing right now if he was in the Sabres org?

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

I'd take McNabb over Benoit in a heartbeat. Still, McNabb was not on anyone's core Cup roster. I'm ok with the deal because of Fasching; Deslauriers is just filler - a low risk/medium reward investment.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'd take McNabb over Benoit in a heartbeat. Still, McNabb was not on anyone's core Cup roster. I'm ok with the deal because of Fasching; Deslauriers is just filler - a low risk/medium reward investment.

There's guys in Rochester that'd be preferable to Benoit when it comes to actually appearing in an NHL game. When it comes to sitting in the pressbox, though, Benoit is just fine

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

I'd take Stephen Hawking over Benoit. However, D-Lo is doing fine for now and if Fasching is as good as projected, this deal is fine.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
I see McNabb as a Weber with better offensive tools. Not a real necessity, but I'm glad he's earning his keep in LA. Most of our lower-level d castoffs didn't fare to well elsewhere, like Butler, Grags, and Brennan.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Wow, some real Deslauriers hate in here. He's got some maturing to do, but he's fine as a physical 4th liner that can net a couple, take an occassional shift on the 3rd, and is game to drop the gloves.

I think that, as others have said, everyone can tell that the deal was made for Fasching. I was always high on McNabb, but we're so heavy in D prospects that he wouldn't have gotten the ice time that he needed to get his game to it's potential. This is a good example of a trade that benefits both teams (even if it turns out that one that one of the teams benefited more at some point).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I dunno. Probably has the best wheels going, but can't really use them. I'm concerned he overthinks the game. More suited for the Stars, IMO.

Hawking probably would take the best angles to a play. And if anyone on your team could create time and space for a linemate, it would likely be him.

That said, I'm glad Brady's game is growing in LA. And Fasching remains the key piece returned to Buffalo, not Des, so I'm not sure what someone's beef is with the deal. Des is a fine energy line player who's motor and willingness to play the body never stop. On any 4th line, that's plenty fine.

ZeroPT*

I'm laughing so hard trying to picture Hawking quarterbacking a powerplay

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

What would have happened with McNabb??? He had to clear waivers this year

McNabb and Deslauriers were in the same boat---players ending their ELCs and the following season looked grim on either of them making the parent clubs this having to get exposed to waivers.

McNabb had higher potential than Deslauriers.

Fasching would have gone late 1st/early 2nd if he didnt have the problems in his draft year (off ice issues).

2 late 2nds= early 2nd/late 1st.

With the large forward prospect pool Buffalo has you are likley going to see more of these deals that they may not be getting the absolute max return possible.

In the next 2 seasons expect Buffalo to have Compher, Fasching, Hurley, Possler,Carrier, Baptiste, Bailey, Karabacek, Cornel, and Lemieux in their system. Out of those 10--say 3 are busts, 3 are keepers---then the other 4 are trade bait either for current roster players or for future prospects or picks.

they effectly traded a player at the end of an ELC for someone who hasnt yet to start an ELC

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

In Buffalo.

Somehow McNabb is good enough to be a regular in the top 6 of the defending cup champs but in Buffalo we would have trouble finding room for him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

McNabb>>>Deslauriers

Potential top 4 dman >>>> career 4th liner

And 2 2nds for Fasching isn't some coup for Murray it's risky. I'd rather take the 2 2nds quite frankly.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
In Buffalo.

Somehow McNabb is good enough to be a regular in the top 6 of the defending cup champs but in Buffalo we would have trouble finding room for him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

McNabb>>>Deslauriers

And 2 2nds for Fasching isn't some coup for Murray it's risky. I'd rather take the 2 2nds quite frankly.

Not me, I'll take Fasching.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
In Buffalo.

McNabb>>>Deslauriers

You just dont know much about Fasching if you think two 2nds were wasted on acquiring him. The goal was to help speed up the rebuild. Fasching will be here anywhere from 1-3 years quicker than BOTH of those 2nd round picks wouldve been.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
McNabb had a very solid looking outing for the Kings against a game Carolina squad last night.

2nd round draft picks have a 10% chance of being 1st line forwards (over the last 10 years). So two of them are 19% to land you a 1st liner.

They have value, but so does Fasching. McNabb is significantly better NHL material than Deslauriers. Sabres don't have much use for McNabb now; while he's cost controlled.

I'd say it's a win-win trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad