GDT: Kings @ Ducks 5PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
They just didn't feel like throwing their hats away for a meaningless preseason hattrick. I was sandwiched between two die-hard Kings fans who rather they kept their hats. Hell I've seen probably a dozen hattricks in my life and I never throw my hat.

There really should be another thread for this but let's be real here. We are the inferior fanbase. Yes the Kings have a truckload of bandwagoners but the number of legit Kings fans dwarf legit Ducks fans. The Pond is full (relatively speaking) of people who don't know anything about hockey and have probably been only following this team since 07. They own us in bragging rights, legacy and actual support. They have a waiting list for season tickets and we will sell out maybe a dozen games this year. We are very much the little brother of the two NHL fanbases in this part of the world.
this minus the hattrick part. i get not doing it numerous times but atleast once? (its a bucket list thing for me though)....and kings fans can chirp all they want to us or SJ for that matter and its all pointless....the FACT is that they have not only had a 30 year head start but had the greatest player to play the game play for them. so, the SHOULD have a bigger fanbase and more cups (they will never be the 1st though).

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
this minus the hattrick part. i get not doing it numerous times but atleast once? (its a bucket list thing for me though)....and kings fans can chirp all they want to us or SJ for that matter and its all pointless....the FACT is that they have not only had a 30 year head start but had the greatest player to play the game play for them. so, the SHOULD have a bigger fanbase and more cups (they will never be the 1st though).

Exactly. Your team better have a bigger fan base after a 25 or whatever year head start, or else it would be pretty pathetic for an expansion team to have more support. I guess kings fans can crow about that.

Also, as part of awarding an expansion team to Orange County, the Disney gave their crook of an owner $25M, and allowed the kings to place restrictions on the amount of marketing and promotions the Mighty Ducks could do--like limiting any marketing to OC (the Mighty Ducks couldn't even market in San Diego County or other surrounding counties). Why the NHL allowed that is beyond me. You'd think that the NHL would do everything they could to help a new franchise succeed if they really want to grow hockey in newer markets.

Well hopefully the Ducks efforts to grow grass roots hockey and youth hockey, rather than contracting it the way the kings have done by merging with the LA Selects, will start paying off and their fan base will grow.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Everything you said here is spot on but I don't see how chanting louder than other fans makes you a "better" fan or make it worthy of being included in an LA Times article. During the stadium game not every "Let's Go Ducks" chant was drowned out by the majority Kings fans... where's the exposé on that?

I'm just as big of a fan as many kings fans if not more so but because I'm not screaming every 5 minutes or drowning out opposing fans it means what exactly? This isn't soccer where you can spend 80% of the time singing away and not miss anything except some guy rolling on the grass, hockey is action almost 100% of the time and I'd rather focus on that then worry about decibel levels. I get the whole "cheering encourages your team" but at a certain point you stop being a fan and become an unofficial cheerleader and an obnoxious person. At least that's my opinion.

Seriously, something is wrong with a lot of their fans, like sociopathically wrong. Rather than enjoy the game and cheer on their team, they spend their time making the other fan base not enjoy the game.

Last edited:

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Why the NHL allowed that is beyond me. You'd think that the NHL would do everything they could to help a new franchise succeed if they really want to grow hockey in newer markets.

Correct, it essentially gave the initial feel of it being a novelty, with Disney owning both the Anaheim Angels and the Mighty Ducks as well as both the stadiums made it more of a extended theme park. Hell, I know days where I went to Disneyland with my mom and then went to see the Mighty Ducks or the Angels play that same night.

The kings were always broadcasted as hardcore serious SoCal hockey, and Anaheim is still fighting that uphill battle. Some people still thought they were owned by Disney where I live.

digginit

Feb 17, 2014
Correct, it essentially gave the initial feel of it being a novelty, with Disney owning both the Anaheim Angels and the Mighty Ducks as well as both the stadiums made it more of a extended theme park. Hell, I know days where I went to Disneyland with my mom and then went to see the Mighty Ducks or the Angels play that same night.

The kings were always broadcasted as hardcore serious SoCal hockey, and Anaheim is still fighting that uphill battle. Some people still thought they were owned by Disney where I live.

What an awesome mom! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad