News Article: Kings' Doughty Worthy Of Norris Crown Thus Far

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
[nhl]721799[/nhl]

He's still leading the League in average time on ice per game, but he missed two games because of the mumps, and Drew Doughty has taken the mantle as the most-used skater in the NHL to this point in the 2014-15 season.

To be clear, just leading the NHL in time on ice is not reason to be the leading contender for the Norris Trophy. There are many examples of defensemen whose performances have suffered because they arguably played too much (Suter before this season could be placed in that group).

That said, Doughty has been the best defenseman in the NHL through the midway point of the season.

His ability to perform at an elite level despite playing more than 29 minutes per game enhances his resume and gives him a slight edge in comparison to a few others with a legitimate claim for the award at this point.

There is a group of 38 defensemen who had logged at least 700 minutes of 5-on-5 ice time through the games Saturday, and in that group are all of the leading contenders for the Norris Trophy.

Doughty is second in Corsi for percentage, but the raw numbers are also a big part of it. He and Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks are far beyond the others in a simple shot attempt plus-minus, with Keith on the ice for 231 more shot attempts than his opponents, and Doughty for 221 more. Next on the list is Dougie Hamilton of the Boston Bruins at plus-151.

Doughty and Keith each has 26 points, leaving each one shy of the being in the top 10 in points among defensemen.

The separator between the two is Doughty's sheer volume of dictating the play. He's logged 146 more minutes at even strength than Keith. A big reason for Doughty's increase in ice time has been an injury to Jake Muzzin, as well as the suspension of Slava Voynov. Doughty is giving his team an extra three minutes a night of elite puck possession at even strength that would otherwise go to a depth player.

Keith's profile is pretty compelling, and he might be playing better this season than last when he rode a bunch of points to his second Norris victory.

Doughty has been the best defenseman in the League, and the numbers (beyond points) back it up.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=748171

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nice!

Let's hope others feel the same way. He's been getting sharper but it's clear big minutes can hurt him some games. But imo he's doing more with less than most other top candidates.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
He can fly as well.

What else does the league want?!

tumblr_ni3rusHGf21qebewco1_1280.jpg

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I don't necessarily feel like Doughty is having a Norris-type season but the recognition is nice and you can't argue with his body of work.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Good to see him get recognition. If this award went by his resume he'd deserve it.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I love Drew just as much as the next person and maybe he'll win one or two Norris's in the future but no way he wins it this year! Ever since Karrlson and Subban won the Norris over Weber and Suter I don't consider this award credible!

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If he can keep it up, you never know. Keith's gonna have to take a dump though to be out of it as he will quickly become the go-to for Norris.

Ron*

Not mentioned at all in the video. I want that 2:46 of my life back.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I love Drew just as much as the next person and maybe he'll win one or two Norris's in the future but no way he wins it this year! Ever since Karrlson and Subban won the Norris over Weber and Suter I don't consider this award credible!

I agree with you they have turned this award into a stat award and not to the "best defenseman" like it should be. I wish they would make a new award call it the Paul Coffey award and give that to the scoring defenseman

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Now that the high flying Kings are playing this really fun north south game he might be able to rack up the points to win the thing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Now that the high flying Kings are playing this really fun north south game he might be able to rack up the points to win the thing.

No kidding eh.

We always said if the Kings were more offensive guys like Kopi and Doughty would be animals. Their scoring rates are bat **** insane.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I love Doughty as much as the next fan, but I don't think he gets one this year. He's been great the last month or so, but the first month and a half it looked like he was trying to win the Norris too hard.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
It's time to make Doughty an assistant captain, he really stepped up his leadership this season.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
He's not having a Noris season at all, but he is eating up a lot of minutes. We'd obviously be ****ed without him...

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
need to get him help ...asap, i think we need to two dmen to help the cause...schultz, Mcbain and McNabb (although playing better lately) will not take us to promise land again. Greene should be 6 not a 4.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's not having a Noris season at all, but he is eating up a lot of minutes. We'd obviously be ****ed without him...

I thought so earlier too but he's doing more with less than other top candidates and literally carrying our defense at times. Like Giordano, that also makes him more vulnerable when something stupid actually happens.

Weber and Keith are also certainly up there and you can't punish them for their teams being better at the moment because they're a large part of that success. But what Giordano and Doughty are doing is more impressive.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I thought so earlier too but he's doing more with less than other top candidates and literally carrying our defense at times. Like Giordano, that also makes him more vulnerable when something stupid actually happens.

Weber and Keith are also certainly up there and you can't punish them for their teams being better at the moment because they're a large part of that success. But what Giordano and Doughty are doing is more impressive.

The funny thing is, we're getting spoiled in regards to Doughty. Name another defender in the league who would play better than Doughty on our team logging those minutes in every situation. So we'd be a better team right now with Giordano or Weber replacing Doughty? Highly doubtful.

Edit: FYI, Helene Elliott has also chosen Drew for her Norris winner at the halfway mark. It's in today's LA Times.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad