Pre-Game Talk: Kings @ Avs | Wednesday, February 26th, 8pm MT | #FreeEJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Since our hockey team will be back in existence today, I figured it would be the appropriate time to start looking toward actually playing again and any news that may come out of the resumption of practice.

Topics may include:

Will the mystery of Tanguay continue or will he be back on the ice?

Will Sarich make an appearance or is he still on the shelf?

Will any of our esteemed reporters ask EJ about the suspension?

Will Varly return from Russia early or is it still the JSG show?

Did anyone get lost in Mexico and/or Canada over the break?

Stay tuned...

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Just seeing this thread makes me happy, the O break has been like a mini lockout, bringing up last year.... watching O hockey just is not the same! lol

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
While I watch a crap ton of Olympic hockey it is so great to have NHL back.

What am I supposed to do every other night? Sleep?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
All paraphrasing with the Roy interview for those that can't listen (it is just going to be a run on of thoughts, so I apologize in advance):

Lots of Olympic talk at the beginning. Talked about how impressive Finland is, and that on the big ice sometimes you need to just chip to puck behind the defense to open up the ice. Then said it is a shame that Varly is getting blamed, and that he probably wishes he had the first goal back, but the other two were not his fault and there was nothing he could really do. Then went on to say that the only skater to play with a real fire was Radulov, and that is unacceptable. Talked about how they will be there for Varly and that things don't always go perfectly. He will learn from the bumps in the road and make him better. The beauty of Varly is that he is a great person and he will look at himself and figure out how to make himself better in that situation. Rambled on about how this should just be a good learning opportunity for Ovi, Malkin, Kovi and all of the players. Impressed with team USA and says they are playing the best hockey of anybody in the tournament. Talked about the ballsy-ness of Bylsma giving the shootout to Oshie and how that set the tone for them being a team. Was a bit concerned about Stastny's ankle, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Talked about how to strengthen the team going forward, and how to deal with trade questions. Roy said when things are going this well, it is hard to trade. You don't want to mess the the chemistry and that makes you afraid to trade. Talked about the group just works well together. Praised McGinn, and then talked about how PAP played well on the 1st line right before the break. Then said it is dangerous to touch the chemistry of the team, and is very comfortable with finish this season with this team. Mentioned that at the end of the year there are going to be some tough decisions with Stastny's contract and we are going to look at all options, but want to keep the fans in mind and give them the best team possible (I took this as they are going to try their hardest to re-sign him). This went on to the compressed schedule and what they need to do (coach speak, one game at a time, shots down, scoring chances down, etc.). Some jokes about the glass incident.

Last part was the EJ suspension. Roy says he talked to him over the break and that EJ needs to learn to control his emotion and he is too important to lose him for 2 games. Just needs to learn from this and sometimes losing money will help with that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Reading between the lines I think Roy is kinda glad Varly didn't win gold because it leaves him hungrier. Also, wouldn't surprise me if they don't make a trade, he's not blowing up the team unless they get an amazing offer. I thought he'd defend EJ a bit more but took the EJ is taking responsibility for his actions angle.

Just saw an article that said Russian NHL players headed back this morning.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reading between the lines I think Roy is kinda glad Varly didn't win gold because it leaves him hungrier. Also, wouldn't surprise me if they don't make a trade, he's not blowing up the team unless they get an amazing offer. I thought he'd defend EJ a bit more but took the EJ is taking responsibility for his actions angle.

Patrick picking his battles. No worries Patty will be handed out alot more fines in his tenure here. Cant wait.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010

Nobody's asking to blow up the team. We just don't want to watch this piss poor excuse of an NHL defence anymore.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
This Tanguay injury is really messing up any plans to move a winger for a defenseman.

This is my thought as well.

Also, Roy said in his stint on The Fan this morning he is comfortable with the group he has. That scares me a bit because of some of our dmen.

Just one Dman Patty...just one! Either someone to play with EJ or someone to play with Barrie. I would GREAT with that.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Just don't be shocked when they don't make any moves.

And if having Tanguay available was seriously any part of plan A then they are idiots.

I won't be, trust me. I've witnessed my fair share of disappointing Deadline's/July 1st's with this team to not expect much.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Tanguay just needs to have the surgery done or whatever so that he is good to go for the rest of his contract. It sucks not being able to rely on him being in the lineup when he can make us better by being in.

I am guessing if we make a move at all that it will be a fairly minor one. Then we resign a majority, if not all, of the guys (maybe minus a few defensemen) and pick up someone in FA. I am hoping for a ready now defenseman but I am guessing our FA pickup will be between the skill we picked up last season and what we want/need.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
adater ‏@adater 44s
Bad news: Tanguay NOT on ice at #Avs practice

Chance of PAP getting traded just went down a lot I think.

Then again, the chances of Tanguay stepping out onto the ice five minutes after Dater posted this are pretty high.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For all of Roy & Co's talk of this team being "for the fans", not addressing their BIGGEST ISSUE (and the same issue that's been there all year) screams that they're comfortable just making the playoffs. As we've seen in previous years once the PO's start anything can happen.

If he's seriously "comfortable with the team going forward" then that concerns me, it concerns me big time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For all of Roy & Co's talk of this team being "for the fans", not addressing their BIGGEST ISSUE (and the same issue that's been there all year) screams that they're comfortable just making the playoffs. As we've seen in previous years once the PO's start anything can happen.

If he's seriously "comfortable with the team going forward" then that concerns me, it concerns me big time.

What exactly is he supposed to say?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He can't go out and say we don't like the group we have right now and we're looking to acquire a defenseman. Patty is a players coach, he won't throw his players under the bus, even though he knows this group won't get him far.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What exactly is he supposed to say?

That's a fair question.

I suppose that if he just went with what has been said all season, that "the team is always looking to improve but you need 'two to dance'..." or whatever is the term.

It seems like this is the first time he's said he's fine finishing the season with what they have. I know he's praised the team before and has said "we're good with it now" but I don't think he's ever said the whole "fine w/ finishing the season w/ what they have" until now, which it seems could be cause for concern.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I don't feel that way AT ALL. There is this increasing desperation by the fans to see ANY move made regardless if it makes any sense just to have the temporary satisfaction that some improvement has been made. I want them to wait for the right deal and if it doesn't happen I'd rather see the current team remain rather than to make a move to make one. Sticking with the team as is and doing things for the fans are not mutually exclusive. If they pass up a trade that significantly improves the team then I'll be upset, but as we've discussed all season there isn't much certainty such a deal exists. There is no way Roy is just satisfied with just winning a few games during the season. He wants to win a Cup, not win one extra game in the regular season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Im sure when we go on a 3-4 game losing streak when Varly comes back all emo Patty will change his tune about being comfortable. How the hell can anyone be comfortable with Holden, Guenin and Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad