Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Where's the rush to get rid of the contracts? If they can't trade Carter, then he'll stay on the roster. Carter isn't asking out, because he doesn't care if the team is winning or not, and management seems to know this core can no longer win, so open up cap space for what? To maybe take back a contract to get a pick somewhere down the road? They'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

We know Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown aren't going anywhere. Assume Quick and Carter fall into that same category. Quick because he's part of the previous core, old, and with a contract. Carter because he doesn't care anymore. Just like nobody needed Dustin Brown in 2016, nobody needs 2019 Jeff Carter.

The pressure to hurry and move any older, valuable players on the current roster is to load up on futures, as the risk that returns diminish if you wait is too high. The prospects and cap space are resources any rebuilding franchise needs.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
The pressure to hurry and move any older, valuable players on the current roster is to load up on futures, as the risk that returns diminish if you wait is too high. The prospects and cap space are resources any rebuilding franchise needs.

In the scenario that was being discussed, the Kings were trading additional young pieces in order to facilitate the move of an older player(adding Luff/Wagner in order to move Carter). Essentially paying a team to take his contract, I believe their point was why is it necessary to pay to move contracts when it doesn't appear that the team will be in need of that cap space over the next couple of years? If someone offers to trade for Carter, no doubt make the move, but otherwise it seems like a waste of assets to move him just for cap space and a minimal return.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Not only this, but Blake would be doing his job by making it that much tougher for this disappointing core to win games this season. Add Kovalchuk and Quick to the list of guys moved and Blake will have really done some good for the future of this organization. Doughty has already stated publicly he is on board for whatever happens. Who cares about what Kopitar thinks.
Play the young guys, a lot. I think rebuilding and developing the prospects is a lot of fun and interesting as heck.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Mucking about with various line combos, to me it seems clear they should shed Carter to make room on the roster. Not sure who would take him or what LA could get for him at this point.

Hagelin or Thompson are gone but seems like one of Carter/Lewis/Toffoli need to move if Kupari/JAD/Luff/Wagner/Vilardi/19 pick are looking to make the team.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think a lot of the Kings’ problems can be traced back to this article: Problem Identified: What the LA Kings Have Been Missing for Three Years

More importantly, you have some players on the roster that just aren’t leaders. I don’t think the locker room ever recovered. And I wonder if there are rifts between the older and younger players in the room. Team chemistry is a super weird thing.

If I were Blake, I would try to trade Kopitar. Maybe send him to Colorado for Ottawa’s first and Jost, and try to trade Carter for anything you can get back. I think we should keep Martinez if we can, I’ve read in the past that’s he’s always been a popular voice in the room. Same with Quick, although if the return is right, you might not be able to say no.

Who are the Richards, Williams, and Mitchells around the league these days (besides Williams, who is still in the league)? Guys who just know how to win?

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
I think a lot of the Kings’ problems can be traced back to this article: Problem Identified: What the LA Kings Have Been Missing for Three Years

More importantly, you have some players on the roster that just aren’t leaders. I don’t think the locker room ever recovered. And I wonder if there are rifts between the older and younger players in the room. Team chemistry is a super weird thing.

If I were Blake, I would try to trade Kopitar. Maybe send him to Colorado for Ottawa’s first and Jost, and try to trade Carter for anything you can get back. I think we should keep Martinez if we can, I’ve read in the past that’s he’s always been a popular voice in the room. Same with Quick, although if the return is right, you might not be able to say no.

Who are the Richards, Williams, and Mitchells around the league these days (besides Williams, who is still in the league)? Guys who just know how to win?

I doubt the Avs would do that. They have their #1 C and wouldn't want to pay Kopi to be their #2 C.

I'm sure there are other teams that would like to have him as their #1 C though. Just not sure they'd offer enough to make it worthwhile on the Kings end.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Mitchell had never won and the Kings had to go the Kovalchuk route (extra year on the deal) to get him as he was considered damaged goods.

Paid a steep price for Richards. Paid what appeared to be a significant price for Williams who was also considered damaged goods.

Point being is this: Lombardi put himself in a position to be able to acquire these type of guys to augment the more talented players he already had in Kopitar and Doughty, plus he had to be opportunistic and take a leap of faith every once in awhile. This is part of the whole tank and acquire assets philosophy. You need to hit on picks but you also just need to have cap space and attractive assets to jump on someone else's good draft pick that they've developed.

Many of us did not think 11/8/23 had what it takes to lead a team to a Cup. I think Lombardi kind of thought that as well, hence the Richards trade. Some on here claim they would have won anyways with Simmonds/Schenn but what I know for sure is that they went Cup/WCF/Cup in the three seasons that the guy was valuable. What we also know is that 11/8/23 have only won one playoff game since losing these heart and soul guys.

Roster hasn't been as strong so I don't want to completely throw them under the bus, but the idea here is that they would be those heart and soul guys moving forward. If they aren't being traded, hopefully they can be those guys for a new crop of talent in three years while there is cap space and assets available to go out and get whatever else is necessary.

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
Where is the we are still in the bottom 3 in the league, Where is the I don’t give a f. Just roll the dice.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't think it was that he didn't think Kopitar and Co. could win it all, I really think he just anticipated contending from 2012-2018 and needed to upgrade down the middle where it was clear to everyone not named JT_Dutch that Jarret Stoll was not the answer as a 2C and they didn't want to wait three years for Schenn to be ready.

It's certainly easier to build when you have stars in place, you think it was expensive to acquire a Richards, how expensive would it be to acquire a Kopitar, Quick or Doughty?
And this is an issue that Blake is facing, to successfully rebuild we need to find players like Kopitar and Doughty and not only have the Kings not found anyone like that since they drafted Doughty, they haven't even really come remotely close.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think it was that he didn't think Kopitar and Co. could win it all, I really think he just anticipated contending from 2012-2018 and needed to upgrade down the middle where it was clear to everyone not named JT_Dutch that Jarret Stoll was not the answer as a 2C and they didn't want to wait three years for Schenn to be ready.

It's certainly easier to build when you have stars in place, you think it was expensive to acquire a Richards, how expensive would it be to acquire a Kopitar, Quick or Doughty?
And this is an issue that Blake is facing, to successfully rebuild we need to find players like Kopitar and Doughty and not only have the Kings not found anyone like that since they drafted Doughty, they haven't even really come remotely close.

It is imperative for the Kings to draft in the top three overall in 2019.

I just ran the tankathon lottery and the first one that came up was Ottawa getting the #1OA, and it going to the Avs. Moving up 9 spots was the Avs to get the #2OA. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass. The Kings dropped one spot to #4 OA.

Right now the Kings have an 11.5% chance of drafting #1OA, and can fall as low as #7OA.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
It is imperative for the Kings to draft in the top three overall in 2019.

I just ran the tankathon lottery and the first one that came up was Ottawa getting the #1OA, and it going to the Avs. Moving up 9 spots was the Avs to get the #2OA. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass. The Kings dropped one spot to #4 OA.

Right now the Kings have an 11.5% chance of drafting #1OA, and can fall as low as #7OA.
Trading Carter, Martinez ana Quick would sure help solidify that! And the returns would be pretty good as well

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Trading Carter, Martinez ana Quick would sure help solidify that! And the returns would be pretty good as well
I agree, and it's Blake's job to make it as difficult as possible for this team to win.

I always expect full effort from the players, but the GM can make it tough for them to win.

Next game against the Flyers is very important, so the Kings better get that tank tuned up and ready to roll. After that it's on to Boston and Washington for what should be two butt kickings.

Reactions: kenito7

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Were Peter Forsberg and Eric Lindros also located at the Taco Bell in El Segundo?

ha, remember those days...MANY have had tips and foreknowledge.

The eve of the 2003 trade deadline, like at midnight, I got a PM from someone (been 16 years now and think they've moved on and I did not know them really)
that stated: The Kings are acquiring Sean Avery and someone else (it was Kuznetsov, but they didn't know the other player) for Mathieu Schneider. And also
Smolinski is being traded to Ottawa for Tim Gleason. I did not PM anyone else this or post it.

I think this person knew a Leiweke family member and felt ok to PM me that. The next morning, after 10 AM, these both broke. I read later that Smolinski did not
find out until it hit the news...seems like the GM could not contact him, or some such. Now, I wish I was at Taco Bell and got passed a note about it, but was just
a PM.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Grundstrom has a goal and assist so far in 1st period tonight...2 shots and plus 2.

I bet if the Kings deal 2-3 forwards out by the deadline, he will be called up. Would not be shocked if 1 is dealt by the time the Kings are home and he gets called up.
Also, may not happen if 1 or more of: Lewis, Carter, Brodzinski get activated. And yes, Luff is a scratch of late. I have a feeling that they want to give Grundstrom
a callup pretty soon - especially if he's scoring like this. Playing RW tonight. Glad he can play either wing.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I agree, and it's Blake's job to make it as difficult as possible for this team to win.

Exactly why I would have tried to move Doughty, who knows maybe Drew had zero interest in a trade and is cool with a rebuild but if the door were open to moving him to a contender I would have done it.

I said earlier this season I didn't think a team with Doughty and Kopitar could finish bottom 5, having Drew playing half the game makes a full blown tank job alot tougher, even with him dragging anchor 24 all over the ice.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I always expect full effort from the players, but the GM can make it tough for them to win.

Next game against the Flyers is very important, so the Kings better get that tank tuned up and ready to roll. After that it's on to Boston and Washington for what should be two butt kickings.

Truthfully speaking, if they trade Quick I’m 99.9% sure this team falls apart! And we land a top 2 pick but the fact is this draft is really deep with Forwards and that’s our greatest need..

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Exactly why I would have tried to move Doughty, who knows maybe Drew had zero interest in a trade and is cool with a rebuild but if the door were open to moving him to a contender I would have done it.

I said earlier this season I didn't think a team with Doughty and Kopitar could finish bottom 5, having Drew playing half the game makes a full blown tank job alot tougher, even with him dragging anchor 24 all over the ice.

I still scratch my head at where we sit today. Nobody could've predicted EVERYONE to suck this season, going as far back as the preseason, but they did. They went from the top defense to one of the worst, which is mind blowing . We all knew this was a bubble team/3rd place at best, but we could not have predicted them in last place and firing the coach the less than 20 games into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad