Prospect Info: King Prospect Kurtis MacDermid: Under the Radar and in Your Face

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Did a small feature on one of the surprise defensemen of the season on the Ontario Reign in my book!

Through two major suspensions in the OHL and AHL (one for a hit on Max Domi, the other for play above on Matt Bailey), numerous fights, chirps, and hits that skirt the line of legally acceptable, the 21-year old has already garnered quite the reputation.

However, beneath the heavy hits and fisticuffs, there is a talented and developing defenseman in Ontario whose stock is slowly rising...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jaso...id-Under-the-Radar-and-in-Your-Face/179/74864

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I've been a fan since he talked about trying to pattern his game after Greener. :naughty: He wears 20 too... nice...

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
That passion has made MacDermid stand out since preseason. It will help him maximize his potential if he can harness that power he has. I always enjoy these player profiles. Thanks, Jason.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I thought he had his best game since the suspension, and maybe best of the season the other night against Stockton. On the Mersch breakaway, MacDermid knocked a Heat dump in out of the air and immediately spotted an opening as Mersch was streaking the other way, hitting him with a perfect pass. He played the game with his infamous edge, which makes him more effective. He has been a bit gun shy since the suspension, which is understandable. If he can find a balance, he will be that much more effective. His reads seem pretty good, and he can be intimidating. He is definitely on the referees radar, which is unfortunate, because he is called for boarding penalties often on some pretty hard and clean hits. He can be beat to the outside if he doesn't anticipate the play well, but that does not happen often. His skating is decent, the question would be if he is fast enough for the NHL. He has been a pleasant surprise.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I thought he had his best game since the suspension, and maybe best of the season the other night against Stockton. On the Mersch breakaway, MacDermid knocked a Heat dump in out of the air and immediately spotted an opening as Mersch was streaking the other way, hitting him with a perfect pass. He played the game with his infamous edge, which makes him more effective. He has been a bit gun shy since the suspension, which is understandable. If he can find a balance, he will be that much more effective. His reads seem pretty good, and he can be intimidating. He is definitely on the referees radar, which is unfortunate, because he is called for boarding penalties often on some pretty hard and clean hits. He can be beat to the outside if he doesn't anticipate the play well, but that does not happen often. His skating is decent, the question would be if he is fast enough for the NHL. He has been a pleasant surprise.

I was at this game. Yes, I agree with you. He played well. If anything, I think he's adjusting to the speed of the AHL compared to the ECHL. Eventually, it would be adjusting to the NHL. He can at times mishandle routine pucks, and panic a bit with blind passes through the middle, etc. But I do believe he's getting better with this all the time. He has good offensive instincts, and be a beast physically, and in the way where it's just not all about lining a guy up, just your routine plays, but he has a way of driving the opponent and little further and a little meaner through the boards. Still young also. What is he, 21? For how big he is, he also skates fairly well. So, I wouldn't count him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad