Kim Ng becomes first woman to be named general manager

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good for her. I'd wish her luck if not for the fact that I can't root for the Marlins in good conscience as a Cubs fan.

She's got a simultaneously interesting but challenging road ahead of her with the Marlins.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nifty, but why should her being female have anything to do with her being able to do this job. It’s not like it takes physical strength to be a GM.

member 157595

Nifty, but why should her being female have anything to do with her being able to do this job. It’s not like it takes physical strength to be a GM.

Of course her being female shouldn't have any bearing on her ability to do the job properly, but the truth is that in a general sense women have historically had to jump through far, far more hoops to get high-level jobs (especially in sports) than men of equal intellectual talent, so it's nice to see a woman in particular be rewarded based on merit.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Read that she's been in consideration for this type of position since 2005, when she was a finalist for the Dodgers.

Don't follow baseball that much, but my understanding is she has solid front office experience, including multiple World Series wins.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Read that she's been in consideration for this type of position since 2005, when she was a finalist for the Dodgers.

Don't follow baseball that much, but my understanding is she has solid front office experience, including multiple World Series wins.
I am a Dodgers fan, yes she was a finalist and many feel that she would have done a much better job that Colletti.

Considering the Dodgers mess with ownership, it is probably a blessing in disguise. To call McCourt shady is a compliment. The Dodgers ran out of money every year and had to give away prospects in deals for other teams to pay the salaries of deadline acquisitions that they didn't have money to pay. (I am not kidding about this)
upload_2020-11-13_14-39-37.png

Since you aren't a baseball fan, she was with the Yankees for the championships and forged a solid friendship with their manager, Joe Torre, who hired to work for the MLB after she moved on from the Dodgers.

I think this is a much better opportunity for her than the Dodgers would have been. She is VERY smart and VERY qualified. I am glad that she is finally getting a shot

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Of course her being female shouldn't have any bearing on her ability to do the job properly, but the truth is that in a general sense women have historically had to jump through far, far more hoops to get high-level jobs (especially in sports) than men of equal intellectual talent, so it's nice to see a woman in particular be rewarded based on merit.

I've always said that front office jobs in pro sports have two types of candidates: former players who will get many opportunities to show they are unable to handle the tasks at hand, and everyone else who may get one shot after who knows what to even get the opportunity. Women would have an additional barrier having "not played the game" at any level.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
On one hand, I say "congratulations and good luck."

On the other hand, I say, "you'll need it. I think you're crazy for stepping into that dumpster fire."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is awesome news. When will there be a female GM in the NHL?

Are there many female executives who could be on that career track? Angela Gorgone was a Lou Lamoriello protege who served with the Devils in the 90s and was briefly as Ducks AGM for a time under Jack Ferriera.

How Angela Gorgone became the NHL's first female assistant GM

More recently Angela Ruggiero was considered for the Florida Panthers role but I'm not sure if she has front office experience, and certainly not to the level of a Kim Ng.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Are there many female executives who could be on that career track? Angela Gorgone was a Lou Lamoriello protege who served with the Devils in the 90s and was briefly as Ducks AGM for a time under Jack Ferriera.

How Angela Gorgone became the NHL's first female assistant GM

More recently Angela Ruggiero was considered for the Florida Panthers role but I'm not sure if she has front office experience, and certainly not to the level of a Kim Ng.

Former Swiss national goalie Florence Schelling has been GM of SC Bern since April 2020. Obviously not a lot done in that time to really judge her, but definitely something to keep watch on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad