Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Third lines are not exclusively shut down lines any more
If Trotz chooses to play grinders on the third line over Bellows, which is the situation we are discussing here, then it's pretty clear that Trotz will be using the line primarily as a shutdown line.

Last edited:

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
If Trotz chooses to play grinders on the third line over Bellows, which is the situation we are discussing here, then it's pretty clear that Trotz will be using the line primarily as a shutdown line.
Kovar isn’t a grinder

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
I think the days of starting rookies on lower lines making them earn their ascension in the roster are gone. It was disastrous for The Swiss Miss and it doesn't have seem to helped any of our kids over the years.

We haven't had a real coach in decades. That makes a difference.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The way I see it, Bellows and Ho-Sang will be the replacements for Lee and Eberle when they are traded at the deadline. Kovar can be the full time #2C after Nelson is undoubtedly traded as well.
I am glad you are not running the team.
Getting rid of 2 of our 5 best scorers does not sound like a recipe for success to me.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I am glad you are not running the team.
Getting rid of 2 of our 5 best scorers does not sound like a recipe for success to me.

It actually is in this case. Scoring wingers is one of the organizational strengths.

It’d be bad business to give both Lee and Eberle huge contracts when we have holes in other places.

We’re probably not a playoff team which means any player in the last year of his deal (Nelson, Lee, Eberle, Kovar, Filppula) are all potential trade deadlines candidates

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
It actually is in this case. Scoring wingers is one of the organizational strengths.

It’d be bad business to give both Lee and Eberle huge contracts when we have holes in other places.

We’re probably not a playoff team which means any player in the last year of his deal (Nelson, Lee, Eberle, Kovar, Filppula) are all potential trade deadlines candidates
I think kovar stays and Filppula has an nmc

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

It would be worse business to not negotiate with them after LL is done with his assessment. Trading deadline deals would bring us back picks, pushing us further into the future before we are competitive.
Under Snow, we lacked veteran leadership that could still perform on the ice.
No interest in returning to the bad old days.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Bellows is a stud. Big, strong, powerful skater (no fast but a strong skater), ELITE wrist shot, ELITE one timer, ELITE snap shot. Pretty good passing vision as well, strong in the corners. Everything we wanted in dallbust.

Reactions: IODCPiper

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016

This^^^

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

idk. i think more about value, i guess. if we give them big contracts, we can always make other changes, like Ladd on IR and Boychuk gone in two years, are possibilities.

i like both Lee and Eberle, and would like to keep them, if they accept reasonable offers. sign them, and then make other roster changes.

if we get a chance to sign Panarin, i say we do. sure, we are strong on the wings, but sign Panarin, and make a trade or two, to open up a spot for him. an upgrade is an upgrade. do it if we can...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Bellows is a stud. Big, strong, powerful skater (no fast but a strong skater), ELITE wrist shot, ELITE one timer, ELITE snap shot. Pretty good passing vision as well, strong in the corners. Everything we wanted in dallbust.

I've liked a good bit of what I've seen, although playing with Gionta and Sislo showed that he could quickly become rather invisible.

However, I don't think he's looking big. He's 6 foot and almost 200 lbs., so he's got fine measures, but the eye test in the preseason games has me thinking that he's looked kind of on the smaller side.

The shot is major league though. I think he could play in the NHL this year and as long as he was with a couple of skill players, he could already pop in 15-20 goals (albeit he'd have plenty of growing pains).

But a day will come where he has a bit of experience and his man strength and that shot alone should have him being a regular 30+ goal threat. It is lethal.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I've liked a good bit of what I've seen, although playing with Gionta and Sislo showed that he could quickly become rather invisible.

However, I don't think he's looking big. He's 6 foot and almost 200 lbs., so he's got fine measures, but the eye test in the preseason games has me thinking that he's looked kind of on the smaller side.

The shot is major league though. I think he could play in the NHL this year and as long as he was with a couple of skill players, he could already pop in 15-20 goals (albeit he'd have plenty of growing pains).

But a day will come where he has a bit of experience and his man strength and that shot alone should have him being a regular 30+ goal threat. It is lethal.
He was sent down

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think he comes up after the trade deadline and finishes in the NHL. Should be a springboard for him to win a roster spot to start in the NHL next season.
Would you really want that?

If Bridgeport is in a playoff spot, Id much rather him be there and getting that experience. If they arent I totally agree though

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
idk. i think more about value, i guess. if we give them big contracts, we can always make other changes, like Ladd on IR and Boychuk gone in two years, are possibilities.

i like both Lee and Eberle, and would like to keep them, if they accept reasonable offers. sign them, and then make other roster changes.

if we get a chance to sign Panarin, i say we do. sure, we are strong on the wings, but sign Panarin, and make a trade or two, to open up a spot for him. an upgrade is an upgrade. do it if we can...
Lou is not waiting to evaluate Lee or Eberle. They are both well proven and reliable. HE Will only sign them if all the younger wingers fail. And he will have to pay a higher amount for waiting. LEE especially wants to stay so if you make him.wait till mid winter he's now three months from UFA he's not in a rush to sign. Now he wants to sign because he likes it here and he may get injured. So to me they are both on the way out unless one of them has kids in the school system and a wife who made a bestie here and she doesn't want to move. The bad part is if the ISLES are good and now you are trading both at the deadline even when you are winning. LOU WILL not let them walk after witnessing the JT fiasco

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kind of surprised given how Bellows played. I believe we will see him later this year. It may be a very short stay in Bridgeport IMO.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Would you really want that?

If Bridgeport is in a playoff spot, Id much rather him be there and getting that experience. If they arent I totally agree though

You can bring Bellows up and send him back down for AHL playoffs.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You can bring Bellows up and send him back down for AHL playoffs.
Yes you can but other than a 9-game stint (if he is even eligible for that anymore) why bother when its directly before the playoffs?

Sure get his maximum # of NHL games in but AHL playoffs > NHL experience IMO, if you had to choose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad