Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Silly to lose sleep over the fact the some of here just think it was poor asset management. No harm intended eh?

Weren't you the one griping up-thread how you love him as a player and think he's gonna be great?

As seafoam mentioned, they gained a roster slot and cap space. He could've been non-tendered after last season and they would've gained the same things. So what exactly did they lose out on? A few paychecks worth of salary?

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Weren't you the one griping up-thread how you love him as a player and think he's gonna be great?

As seafoam mentioned, they gained a roster slot and cap space. He could've been non-tendered after last season and they would've gained the same things. So what exactly did they lose out on? A few paychecks worth of salary?
Yeah. It's not like their paying him 4 million to stay away. They sent him packing for free

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
giphy.gif

Reactions: Riseonfire

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm sorry but this makes absolutely no sense at all. If Bellows was considered by Lou Lamiorello to be such an "insignificant" or worthless pick you and others here are making him out to be why spend 1.2 million dollars on him 2 months prior to when you were going to donate him to the NHL equivalent of the Salvation Army? Because if he doesn't clear waivers Lou is now stuck with a 1.2 million dollar liability which would mean he is either foolish, stupid, or senile. To use your analogy that's like spending 1.2 million dollars in upgrades on a worthless home that was just destroyed by Hurricane Ian 2 months prior to putting it on the market. Now it's more expensive for any potential buyer and if it doesn't sell you're even more in the hole.

If Bellows cleared waivers he goes to the AHL where 1.125m of his AAV is buried. His caphit would then be 75k, not 1.2m. Is 75k of caphit so problematic it makes Lou foolish, stupid, or senile that he risked getting stuck with it? Or did he maybe simply understand that's how the cap works and that 75k of caphit wasn't a problem?

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
We've been good since we sent him packing. Him playing elsewhere in the division actually helps us, he's lost without the puck.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
We've been good since we sent him packing. Him playing elsewhere in the division actually helps us, he's lost without the puck.
Well, one of the things that could be good is that it takes some pressure off Wahlstrom by the Islanders choosing him over Bellows, but thus far I don't think he has fully responded.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
If Bellows cleared waivers he goes to the AHL where 1.125m of his AAV is buried. His caphit would then be 75k, not 1.2m. Is 75k of caphit so problematic it makes Lou foolish, stupid, or senile that he risked getting stuck with it? Or did he maybe simply understand that's how the cap works and that 75k of caphit wasn't a problem?
It's silly to offer a single dollar in the first place if your plans are to try to get him waived. Why take any cap hit unless you believe what you have in hands in an "asset" and if you have an "asset" on your hands you don't expose to waivers- not when you have Soshkinov available.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
A possibility: Perhaps Bellows requested to be moved to another team? I suspect players ask to be moved far more often than we hear about. He only got into one game before he was waived. Maybe he wanted a fresh start somewhere else, Lou was unable to find any takers, and had to resort to waiving him to grant him his wish?

Anyway, file this under WGAF already and let's move on. Oh right, doubling down on bullshit is an HF tradition.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
A possibility: Perhaps Bellows requested to be moved to another team? I suspect players ask to be moved far more often than we hear about. He only got into one game before he was waived. Maybe he wanted a fresh start somewhere else, Lou was unable to find any takers, and had to resort to waiving him to grant him his wish?
I can see this happening and yes, it is definitely in Lou's character. BUT we don't want Lou graciously discharging prospects left and right if they don't get to play with the big club right away.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It's silly to offer a single dollar in the first place if your plans are to try to get him waived. Why take any cap hit unless you believe what you have in hands in an "asset" and if you have an "asset" on your hands you don't expose to waivers- not when you have Soshkinov available.
Way to move the goalposts, first it was stupid to risk a 1.2m caphit, now any caphit at all is stupid. But go ahead and explain why that is stupid? How would 75k of caphit have negatively impacted the team? Explain how having Bellows as an option isn't even worth 75k to the team but also that losing him for nothing was somehow bad asset management?

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Way to move the goalposts, first it was stupid to risk a 1.2m caphit, noe any caphit at all is stupid. But go ahead and explain why that is stupid? How would 75k of caphit have negatively impacted the team? Explain how having Bellows as an option isn't even worth 75k to the team but also that losing him for nothing was somehow bad asset management?

Is it stupid to lose $750,000 in cap space or make your boss lose 1.2 in salary when it’s completely unnecessary? Yes it is completely bad management in that instance. I don’t know how anyone with half a brain would think otherwise. I own my own practice/business. I have business managers running my offices. If anyone one of my managers lost that kind of money and were not making up for it somewhere else I would fire them on the spot. Everything looks so easy for people who aren’t paying the bills. Ask Elon Musk if he likes losing money left and right.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Is it stupid to lose $750,000 in cap space or make your boss lose 1.2 in salary when it’s completely unnecessary? Yes it is completely bad management in that instance. I don’t know how anyone with half a brain would think otherwise. I own my own practice/business. I have business managers running my offices. If anyone one of my managers lost that kind of money and were not making up for it somewhere else I would fire them on the spot. Everything looks so easy for people who aren’t paying the bills. Ask Elon Musk if he likes losing money left and right.
I would think a business owner would know that 75k is not the same as 750,000. Or that 1.2m minus 1.125m is not 750,000. And if they don't know that difference, then maybe they shouldn't be complaining about the accounting side of the business.

But here's the thing, owners approve the contracts and understand the risks associated with them. Unless your assumption is that Lou lied about something to the owners, but that definitely doesn't seem like the most likely scenario here.

From a team standpoint though, can you answer the questions? And if your only concern here is actually just the bank accounts of Ledecky and Malkin, then I would say let them worry about that, but that's also a far cry from what you were complaining about, so it seems like you're just moving the goalposts again.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I would think a business owner would know that 75k is not the same as 750,000. Or that 1.2m minus 1.125m is not 750,000. And if they don't know that difference, then maybe they shouldn't be complaining about the accounting side of the business.

But here's the thing, owners approve the contracts and understand the risks associated with them. Unless your assumption is that Lou lied about something to the owners, but that definitely doesn't seem like the most likely scenario here.

From a team standpoint though, can you answer the questions? And if your only concern here is actually just the bank accounts of Ledecky and Malkin, then I would say let them worry about that, but that's also a far cry from what you were complaining about, so it seems like you're just moving the goalposts again.
I wonder if he realizes how foolish his posts sound. I mean, it is beyond pathetic at this point. Oh well.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Anyway, file this under WGAF already and let's move on. Oh right, doubling down on bullshit is an HF tradition.
Maybe he popped off about not being used and Lou rewarded him for his insolence by sending him off to coach Tortorella

I'm rooting for you to get the red ink out and do corrections with a grade attached. That was a classic!

I wonder if he realizes how foolish his posts sound. I mean, it is beyond pathetic at this point. Oh well.
I wonder if people say that about us too!

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

No as a business owner I know there is a difference between cap space, salaries, and assets. Cap space is a constraint, salaries are an expense, and assets have give your business value. In none of my comments did I ever concern myself with cap space and there is NOTHING at all in what transpired to tell me that Lou Lamiorello was concerned about cap space at this time other than YOUR assumption.

Clearly you are not a business owner if you think Ledecky and Malkin would happy to find out you just signed a player to a 1.2 million contract who you are going let sit in the pressbox from day one. A thing many fans do know was that failing to meet expectations was not the only reason Barry Trotz was let go, but because the final year he was owed a 4 million dollar salary as this article explains. If you don't think the general manager does not answer in regards to financials to Ledecky and Malkin, again you know nothing about business side of things that business owners such as myself have to think about. If they were worried about paying a world class coach 4 million dollars a year taking their team only up to the Eastern Conference finals do you seriously think they would not be concerned about a 24 year old nobody making 1.2 million dollars sitting in the press box just watching the game eating popcorn?

And so that we don't allow YOU to move the goalposts farther than you have already tried but failed to move, let's get back to the topic really at hand- assets and I want you answer this question:

Was Griffith Reinhart an asset to this team? Yes or No and why or why not? Just answer the damned question.

No I only realize how childish your posts sound.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
No as a business owner I know there is a difference between cap space, salaries, and assets. Cap space is a constraint, salaries are an expense, and assets have give your business value. In none of my comments did I ever concern myself with cap space and there is NOTHING at all in what transpired to tell me that Lou Lamiorello was concerned about cap space at this time other than YOUR assumption.

Clearly you are not a business owner if you think Ledecky and Malkin would happy to find out you just signed a player to a 1.2 million contract who you are going let sit in the pressbox from day one. A thing many fans do know was that failing to meet expectations was not the only reason Barry Trotz was let go, but because the final year he owed a 4 million dollar salary as this article explains. If you don't think the general manager does not answer in regards to financials to Ledecky and Malkin, again you know nothing about business side of things that business owners such as myself have to think about. If they were worried about paying a world class coach 4 million dollars a year taking their team only up to the Eastern Conference finals do you seriously think they would not be concerned about a 24 year old nobody making 1.2 million dollars sitting in the press box just watching the game eating popcorn?

And so that we don't allow YOU to move the goalposts farther than you have already tried but failed to move, let's get back to the topic really at hand- assets and I want you answer this question:

Was Griffith Reinhart an asset to this team? Yes or No and why or why not? Just answer the damned question.

No?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Then yes?
BINGO! :thumbu:

Now boys and girls.

If Griffith Reinhart, ( I am going to invoke one of those "if this- then" hypothetical syllogisms) as an asset can return us a Matthew Barzal, then what could a Kieffer Bellows have returned us with shrewd and careful management? That's right, you never know unless you try.

You see children, that's why we hold onto assets regardless of our own preconceived notions of perceived value. As they say, what's one man's trash, is another man's treasure.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

Now boys and girls.

If Griffith Reinhart, ( I am going to invoke one of those "if this- then" hypothetical syllogisms) as an asset can return us a Matthew Barzal, what could a Kieffer Bellows have returned us with shrewd and careful managment?
Johnny Gaudreau?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Now boys and girls.

If Griffith Reinhart, ( I am going to invoke one of those "if this- then" hypothetical syllogisms) as an asset can return us a Matthew Barzal, what could a Kieffer Bellows have returned us with shrewd and careful managment?
An extra contract slot, after he was claimed on waivers.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Clearly you are not a business owner if you think Ledecky and Malkin would happy to find out you just signed a player to a 1.2 million contract who you are going let sit in the pressbox from day one. A thing many fans do know was that failing to meet expectations was not the only reason Barry Trotz was let go, but because the final year he owed a 4 million dollar salary as this article explains. If you don't think the general manager does not answer in regards to financials to Ledecky and Malkin, again you know nothing about business side of things that business owners such as myself have to think about. If they were worried about paying a world class coach 4 million dollars a year taking their team only up to the Eastern Conference finals do you seriously think they would not be concerned about a 24 year old nobody making 1.2 million dollars sitting in the press box just watching the game eating popcorn?

Coaches have guaranteed money on their contracts so Trotz is getting that $4M right now anyway, paid by Ledecky and Malkin.

Reactions: Seph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad