Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
He is fifth in league in goals per game. He is not a player who will go end to end with the puck but he plays an NHL game and should put up Anders Lee type numbers.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He is fifth in league in goals per game. He is not a player who will go end to end with the puck but he plays an NHL game and should put up Anders Lee type numbers.

He’s probably not going to put up Anders Lee numbers. He’ll probably average around 15-20 a year with the potential to hit 25-30 a couple years.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
He’s probably not going to put up Anders Lee numbers. He’ll probably average around 15-20 a year with the potential to hit 25-30 a couple years.
That's truly underselling his skill level.

Lee scores almost all of his goals from within 3 feet of the net. Bellows isn't limited the way Lee is and he can score from almost anywhere inside of the blueline. He has an elite array of shots -- slapper, one-timer, and wrister all very hard and accurate. Lee wishes he could say the same.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Lee scores almost all of his goals from within 3 feet of the net. Bellows isn't limited the way Lee is and he can score from almost anywhere inside of the blueline. He has an elite array of shots -- slapper, one-timer, and wrister all very hard and accurate. Lee wishes he could say the same.

I realize he can shoot the puck. To be completely honest, to me, the rest of his game aside from shooting and getting in good goal scoring position is average, which is why my projection is where it is.

Reactions: ndgolden

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Lee - at least based on recent results - is a ~top 10 goalscorer in the league. To say he's going to put up Anders Lee numbers is fairly optimistic. Not impossible, but certainly optimistic.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I realize he can shoot the puck. To be completely honest, to me, the rest of his game aside from shooting and getting in good goal scoring position is average, which is why my projection is where it is.
So is Brock Boesers.... and Anders Lee's, for that matter.

You don't have to be Patrice Bergeron in all three zones to be able to score 30 goals in the NHL.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Lee - at least based on recent results - is a ~top 10 goalscorer in the league. To say he's going to put up Anders Lee numbers is fairly optimistic. Not impossible, but certainly optimistic.
I've watched Kieffer a lot since he was 15 years old. There are very few players I make such statements about, but I am confident he will be able to reach that lofty goal. I would not say it if I wasn't that confident in him.

Reactions: PWJunior

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

Let’s see what he can do in the AHL first, MDC also had the magical shooting touch...... Lee despite lacking all those tools is not wishing he was in the NHL.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Let’s see what he can do in the AHL first, MDC also had the magical shooting touch...... Lee despite lacking all those tools is not wishing he was in the NHL.
MDC never had Bellows' shot and neither does Lee.

Bellows will make the NHL full time at a younger age than Lee.

Reactions: islesfan3991

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
MDC never had Bellows' shot and neither does Lee.

Bellows will make the NHL full time at a younger age than Lee.
i hope you're right, Konk. as much as we score (used to?), we could use another shooter on the roster. too many passers. hell, last game, during one of our PP's, Markstrom even took a drink, while we were passing the puck around!

j/k... :)

hey, since you've seen him a lot, what is your take on his defensive game? does he seem committed? one of my pet peeves is players that skate back like they are nursing a gunshot wound to the abdomen, but then magically re-energise when the puck starts heading up ice. i hate that!

thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Konk

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
i hope you're right, Konk. as much as we score (used to?), we could use another shooter on the roster. too many passers. hell, last game, during one of our PP's, Markstrom even took a drink, while we were passing the puck around!

j/k... :)

hey, since you've seen him a lot, what is your take on his defensive game? does he seem committed? one of my pet peeves is players that skate back like they are nursing a gunshot wound to the abdomen, but then magically re-energise when the puck starts heading up ice. i hate that!

thanks.

Yes, Bellows puts in effort on the back check. While not a defensive stalwart yet, he certainly doesn't coast and he's made good progress in that area over the years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not enough discussion on this exciting young player. Does he make the line up this season? Or does he need AHL seasoning? I thought about him as a dark horse Calder candidate, especially if he played with Barzal. But we won't know until he shows what he can do in preseason action.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Not enough discussion on this exciting young player. Does he make the line up this season? Or does he need AHL seasoning? I thought about him as a dark horse Calder candidate, especially if he played with Barzal. But we won't know until he shows what he can do in preseason action.

How is his skating?

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I sincerely doubt that he makes the opening day roster. Barring injury or a trade, there are no real open spots for him and he probably could stand to use some seasoning in the AHL. No rush to bring him up unless he somehow forces his way on to the team.

Injuries are bound to occur so he could definitely get his shot sometime this season. Very unlikely to happen out of the gate though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How is his skating?

Not flashy, but he is a good skater, strong on his skates. This will help his game in high traffic areas and perhaps getting the puck to his Center. What I would look for at the pro level, we know he can finish in junior. Finishing against NHL goalies is the next test. Will he be an elite shooter as Wahlstrom looks to be like one, or just an above average one. Nothing wrong having a potential 25-30 goal man on your team. But 50 goal men are very rare.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I sincerely doubt that he makes the opening day roster. Barring injury or a trade, there are no real open spots for him and he probably could stand to use some seasoning in the AHL. No rush to bring him up unless he somehow forces his way on to the team.

Injuries are bound to occur so he could definitely get his shot sometime this season. Very unlikely to happen out of the gate though.

Yes, he will be a surprise if he makes it. I would term this as earning a position on the roster. He may get some AHL time, and be a call up if he lights it up in the AHL. Regardless, this was a great value pick at #19 for the Isles. He very much fits into the Isles young core. His dad was a player too. I think this will help his development.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Not flashy, but he is a good skater, strong on his skates. This will help his game in high traffic areas and perhaps getting the puck to his Center. What I would look for at the pro level, we know he can finish in junior. Finishing against NHL goalies is the next test. Will he be an elite shooter as Wahlstrom looks to be like one, or just an above average one. Nothing wrong having a potential 25-30 goal man on your team. But 50 goal men are very rare.

It is good that he can be strong on his skates, but you mentioned playing on a line with Barzal, his skating has to be up to par with Barzals skating level in order to be really effective on that line. Hopefully in due time, Bellows can get to that level in skating.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It is good that he can be strong on his skates, but you mentioned playing on a line with Barzal, his skating has to be up to par with Barzals skating level in order to be really effective on that line. Hopefully in due time, Bellows can get to that level in skating.

I kind of foreshadowed this awhile back. I see a Beauvillier, Bellows, Barzal line in the future. Line construction is like being a mad scientist. No one knows until it happens on ice. But I see Bellows corner work and potential finishing a perfect match for Barzal. Barzal is one of the best players at entering the zone, and pulling up looking for options. If Bellows can find soft spots in a team's defence, Barzal will find him. Where he can use that great release of his. If there is one thing missing from Barzal's line it is a true finisher and player that does not mind the corners. So we shall look in anticipation as Eberle's contract is up after this season.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I see criticisms of Brady Tkachuk's skating often on this site that he won't get open to score goals. While this may or may not be true, it doesn't matter as much because Tkachuk is more of a playmaker from the boards. But if Tkachuk's skating is a liability, what is Bellows' skating? I don't think it's close.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see criticisms of Brady Tkachuk's skating often on this site that he won't get open to score goals. While this may or may not be true, it doesn't matter as much because Tkachuk is more of a playmaker from the boards. But if Tkachuk's skating is a liability, what is Bellows' skating? I don't think it's close.

Funny you mention Tkachuk, his skating reminds me of how Matthew Tkachuk skates. Bellows does not have to skate like Barzal. Different skill sets at work here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad