Player Discussion: Kieffer Bellows *Waived - Claimed by Philadelphia Flyers*

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Since the Isles won big on Saturday against Philly, taking Bellows out of the line up which was a mild surprise was the right move. Still I have to say that caught me off guard a little. Trotz knows what he is doing, he must have had a hunch.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Since the Isles won big on Saturday against Philly, taking Bellows out of the line up which was a mild surprise was the right move. Still I have to say that caught me off guard a little. Trotz knows what he is doing, he must have had a hunch.
Maybe that move was meant to send a message to Barzal. Put Komarov on his eing and maybe Barzy doesn’t try to look for a pass first anymore, instead he thinks “maybe I’d better keep going straight ahead”.

You’re a race tracker. I’d say if Barzal was a thoroughbred he should run with blinkers on to keep him focused. It seems like every so often Barzal gets away from what makes him so good for us, which is driving to the net.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe that move was meant to send a message to Barzal. Put Komarov on his eing and maybe Barzy doesn’t try to look for a pass first anymore, instead he thinks “maybe I’d better keep going straight ahead”.

You’re a race tracker. I’d say if Barzal was a thoroughbred he should run with blinkers on to keep him focused.
Interesting perspective. I like the blinders analogy. Barzal has not been himself since Lee was hurt, putting Komarov on his line can focus him to be more vertical than horizontal. When he skates through a team, rather than around it, he is far more effective. He has power as well as speed. I would prefer the former more to mix it up. I think this just opens a can of worms if Lou can swing a deal, maybe Foligno or Jenner will be targets. Matty needs that corner man when the other winger is Eberle. Also, I would be remiss, to not say I think the Trotz-Bellows marriage looks like it will be a short one.

Reactions: MJF

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Interesting perspective. I like the blinders analogy. Barzal has not been himself since Lee was hurt, putting Komarov on his line can focus him to be more vertical than horizontal. When he skates through a team, rather than around it, he is far more effective. He has power as well as speed. I would prefer the former more to mix it up. I think this just opens a can of worms if Lou can swing a deal, maybe Foligno or Jenner will be targets. Matty needs that corner man when the other winger is Eberle. Also, I would be remiss, to not say I think the Trotz-Bellows marriage looks like it will be a short one.

Barry seems old school in that he won't play guys if he doesn't think they are ready. I also don't think Trotz gets personal that way. He'll keep working with Bellows until the kid gets it, or gets dealt. I think it takes a lot to earn Trotz' trust, but once you get it it's gold. He's just gotta keep earning it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Still unsigned. Also, interesting Raty was signed before Bellows. What do we expect from Kieffer this year? Still young, has a scorer's touch. My feeling is Trotz is not as high on him as others. Some things to like about the player make me reluctant to give up on him. Going back to BP would an option, abeit a hard one for Bellows to accept I surmise given he did make the team late in the year.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Still unsigned. Also, interesting Raty was signed before Bellows. What do we expect from Kieffer this year? Still young, has a scorer's touch. My feeling is Trotz is not as high on him as others. Some things to like about the player make me reluctant to give up on him. Going back to BP would an option, abeit a hard one for Bellows to accept I surmise given he did make the team late in the year.
These deals are no-brainers.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

1) Almost no-one on the team has been signed or "re-signed". It's only been Pelech and Räty. I wouldn't read anything into the lack of reporting about whether he's been signed yet.
2) One way or another, Bellows will be waiver-eligible. Any sending him to the farm is a risk he'd be plucked off waivers and well, gotta think he'd be gobbled up.

Last edited:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
i think he needs to be defensively responsible, before he gets a spot in the bigs.
Yeah, I think that he plays physical enough where he could theoretically be a very good third liner who can score some goals with that shot. But if you’re going to be a bottom 6-er you need to be able to play some defense

Honestly I see him as a potential second liner in time, personally, but I know a lot of people don’t share that view. Which is fine, to each their own

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think one of the sad things is that this kid was drafted to bring a sniper's element to the franchise that Dal Colle was drafted for, but didn't deliver.

Now Bellows pretty much finds himself in about the exact same career spot as Dal Colle was 5 years after his being drafted.

But Bellows can't look back at an AHL season in which he clipped at a PPG average like Dal Colle can.

In general, very disappointing that we've used two first rounders on kids who are supposed to snipe and still haven't landed a sniper.

SIDENOTE:
Interesting is that I really liked us having drafted him in 2016. I really didn't mind him at that spot and there was only guy in that draft outside of the top 10 who I really wanted and continually talked about.

That guy was Sam Steel.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
1) Almost no-one on the team has been signed or "re-signed". It's only been Pelech and Räty. I wouldn't read anything into the lack of reporting about whether he's been signed yet.
2) One way or another, Bellows will be waiver-eligible. Any sending him to the farm is a risk he'd be plucked off waivers and well, gotta think he'd be gobbled up.
Bellows is an easy signing to announce. He is a RFA with little leverage that should require no more than 800-850K. A formality. I just thought it peculiar that Raty was announced so quickly, and Bellows has not. There is no way he should be worth more than 1M based on his play last year. I do agree that if he is sent down having cleared the expansion draft, he could be plucked. This is why I find his position on this team interesting, perhaps even precarious. I also think based on his usage that he may not be in Trotz's good books. Just a feeling on observation. Maybe a trade prospect?

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
It will be interesting to see what Lou does here. I am convinced when paired with another prospect and/or pick will net a veteran forward or defenseman.

I doubt Lou/Trotz hands Bellows the keys to a roster spot with the potential of losing him if he can’t hold a spot on the roster.

They know what they have here and what they need. We shall see but I expect this to be done before training camp.

Reactions: JoeM

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Bellows is an easy signing to announce. He is a RFA with little leverage that should require no more than 800-850K. A formality. I just thought it peculiar that Raty was announced so quickly, and Bellows has not. There is no way he should be worth more than 1M based on his play last year. I do agree that if he is sent down having cleared the expansion draft, he could be plucked. This is why I find his position on this team interesting, perhaps even precarious. I also think based on his usage that he may not be in Trotz's good books. Just a feeling on observation. Maybe a trade prospect?

No idea why Räty was announced so quickly, but an ELC that can slide for several years is in a different ballpark than contracts that will, supposedly, give opponents a clear view into our cap situation.

And Bellows is in that category.

Pelech HAD to be announced, because he was already in line for arbitration. If Sorokin and Beau had taken that path, they too would have been announced by now. In other words, Lou is announcing NOTHING of cap insight that he doesn't have to.

Respect. Just hope it culminates into something good.

As for what the franchise wants to do with Bellows, it's anybody's guess. I'd think they view him as far too valuable an asset to ever just send him through waivers. If trades are on the way, he's a very likely candidate.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The curious case of Kieffer Bellows, in the 2 games he has played he had 12:59 against Chicago, and only 5:58 against Columbus. Put him on waivers and I am pretty sure another team picks him up. Put him in the line up, not much impact. Difficult position with him. Last night with Pageau out, Leo would have been the better choice plugging him in at Center rather than Parise at Center. If it ends up costing this team, the decision on what to do with Bellows this year becomes more urgent. I am not sure to be honest at the moment.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Bellows is a trigger man at this point and that it. Take a chance and waive him. At least DalCole is a little more responsible away from the puck

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The more you see him the more you realize he has basically no agility. It's all straight ahead for him.
Yep. And he doesn’t have the burst of speed to pull away from a decent defender.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The more you see him the more you realize he has basically no agility. It's all straight ahead for him.
That's the thing, Wally is not much a better skater than Bellows is, but he produces. Hockey IQ on Wally is better, as well as his ability to finish. The more I see Bellows, the more I can see why Trotz has always seemed to have reservations with him. It would be a mistake to let him go for nothing, and it may be a mistake he is not playing in the AHL right now. This is why I call him a curious case.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's the thing, Wally is not much a better skater than Bellows is, but he produces. Hockey IQ on Wally is better, as well as his ability to finish. The more I see Bellows, the more I can see why Trotz has always seemed to have reservations with him. It would be a mistake to let him go for nothing, and it may be a mistake he is not playing in the AHL right now. This is why I call him a curious case.

I think Wahlstrom is significantly better laterally than Bellows is, far superior agility.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

I don't think the AHL is going to do him any good at this point . . . if he hasn't improved his skating by now he isn't going to magically have it happen. That should have been addressed BY HIM the last two years. Just like when guys like Nystrom worked with the power skating coach back then. Top athletes realize they can always add something to their tool box. In this case, he's missing the screwdriver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad