Kickpoint vs shot power

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new stick, and i'm willing to splurge a little bit. So i've been doing some research on composites and i was wondering how much a lower kickpoint will affect shot power or accuracy, if at all.

I've been a winger all season, and I prefer wrist shots and snap shots over slap shots, but for me, the most important thing is to be able to have accuracy. So i was just wondering how big of a difference a lower kickpoint really makes, and maybe if you have any recommendations for sticks or stick/blade combos. Thanks!

1stoverall

Oct 19, 2010
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new stick, and i'm willing to splurge a little bit. So i've been doing some research on composites and i was wondering how much a lower kickpoint will affect shot power or accuracy, if at all.

I've been a winger all season, and I prefer wrist shots and snap shots over slap shots, but for me, the most important thing is to be able to have accuracy. So i was just wondering how big of a difference a lower kickpoint really makes, and maybe if you have any recommendations for sticks or stick/blade combos. Thanks!

Its all the player using it, ya you can go buy a S19 but it wont make you shot any harder or more accurate.

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
Its all the player using it, ya you can go buy a S19 but it wont make you shot any harder or more accurate.

WRONG, accurate no, harder yes to an extent flex and kickpoint make a difference for that. I used a 85 flex Warrior and my shots were good, I now use a 77 flex TotalOne and my shots are a lot faster because of flex so in short, yes a stick can affect your game.

For the OP, you want low kickpoint, it will give you faster release and look for a flex that suits you best, that will add power to shot when loading.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
WRONG, accurate no, harder yes to an extent flex and kickpoint make a difference for that. I used a 85 flex Warrior and my shots were good, I now use a 77 flex TotalOne and my shots are a lot faster because of flex so in short, yes a stick can affect your game.

For the OP, you want low kickpoint, it will give you faster release and look for a flex that suits you best, that will add power to shot when loading.

Thanks man, i appreciate it.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Lower kickpoint will give you a quicker release, but you won't get as much power out of a low kick point compared to a mid kick point.

Not always the case obviously but lower kickpoints are better for forwards looking for that quick snappers

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It changes the feel. Sometimes a low kick stick suffers from more torsion which throws off accuracy, because it bends more at the lower part and twists to the side. But this is only under extreme loading and with whippy flexes.

In my experience, a low kick stick feels a bit stiffer and doesn't load up as much, but it reaches maximum loading quicker. You can lean into the stick on a wrist or snap shot, load it up a bit, and it kicks pretty hard. A mid kick stick tends to feel whippier and loads up more, but can sometimes have lag if it's too whippy. It requires a smoother shooting motion on wrist/snap shots but on slappers can add some velocity. It's not a huge night and day thing and also depends heavily on the actual flex of the stick (which can be all over the map because flex ratings aren't 100% accurate).

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
A proper fitting stick can increase all aspects of the game. I have been using the Bauer One95 stick for the last 15 months or so and absolutely loved it. I went to Base Hockey and shot around with Al Iafrate. In testing out several different sticks we ended up with a change from a 100 flex to an 85, a lie of 7 to a 6. I kept the same blade pattern however. This all increased both my speed and accuracy, even though I was using a top of the line stick. If you can get fitted, I would go for it. How are you supposed to know what stick you will like, just looking at them on a rack or online. The only way is to actually use the stick. Unfortunately most stores don't have shooting areas.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
A proper fitting stick can increase all aspects of the game. I have been using the Bauer One95 stick for the last 15 months or so and absolutely loved it. I went to Base Hockey and shot around with Al Iafrate. In testing out several different sticks we ended up with a change from a 100 flex to an 85, a lie of 7 to a 6. I kept the same blade pattern however. This all increased both my speed and accuracy, even though I was using a top of the line stick. If you can get fitted, I would go for it. How are you supposed to know what stick you will like, just looking at them on a rack or online. The only way is to actually use the stick. Unfortunately most stores don't have shooting areas.

May I ask, how much do you weigh and how strong are you? What is your hockey level?

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
May I ask, how much do you weigh and how strong are you? What is your hockey level?
I weigh 220 and pretty strong. I think that is why I always used 100 or 110 flexes. When Al had me test lower flexes, my shot got both quicker and more accurate with the wrist shot and was the same speed on the slap shot. So I only gained with lowering the flex. Ovechkin is about my size and his stick flexes are in 80's as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad