Confirmed with Link: Khudobin, come on down! (1 year, 800k)

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I watched him alot last year. I had Rask as my starting fantasy goalie and picked up Khudobin as a handcuff play. He is very very good.

This is an excellent signing!! Stoked!!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
WINNING!

seriously, JR is doing the smart thing today. Khudobin will probably take the backup job from Peters or push him to be much better.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
What a coup, the more I think about it. He's a better goalie than Ellis, and we're paying him $100k less. The only concern I might have is that's on the small size by modern standards at 5' 11".

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Peters is a decent emergency starter, but he shouldn't be getting a very big work load at the moment. Most teams I think would be happy to have someone like Peters at #3. We have decent depth at the position now :)

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
The Problem With Peters (That sounds like a children's book title!) is that he only plays well(ish) when asked to be a hoss and take the majority of the starts. So like a career good AHLer. Doesn't so hot in relief or spot starts as he can't find his groove consistently on command.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
What a coup, the more I think about it. He's a better goalie than Ellis, and we're paying him $100k less. The only concern I might have is that's on the small size by modern standards at 5' 11".

My thoughts exactly. Not resigning Ellis worked out favorably for us but it's not like the asking price was bad by any means.

Being a small goalie shouldn't really effect his play (Ward's also 5'11"). I was under the impression Anton Khudobin was this towering Russian with a mean streak. Maybe I was thinking of a fusion of the Finnish Rask and Frederik Andersen.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm not familiar with this guy but most of you seem pretty stoked about this signing. So I guess that's a good thing right?

At least we won't have to rely solely on Peters as Cam's primary backup now.

ramp23

Oct 14, 2010
If we had had Khudobin last year when Cam went down, we would probably still made the playoffs!

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
While I'm pumped we managed to grab someone with solid potential, I've got to throw this out here:

- Our defense is not Boston's.
- We haven't had a good backup goaltender since...Ward

I'd give it a 50/50 chance of Anton putting up similar numbers to Boucher/Ellis/etc while he plays here.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
While I'm pumped we managed to grab someone with solid potential, I've got to throw this out here:

- Our defense is not Boston's.
- We haven't had a good backup goaltender since...Ward

I'd give it a 50/50 chance of Anton putting up similar numbers to Boucher/Ellis/etc while he plays here.

fan_g_legacem_in_300.jpg

This guy is not amused.

But yeah, been a long time since we started the season with a quality backup.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Agree, can't complain at all.

If you look at it from the perspective of what a lot of people were saying about the team this season - namely, that the top half of the roster was good to go and the lack of depth is the problem - then he has done a great job to address those issues.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The more I read about Khudobin the more it seems like he is not just a backup but has serious starter potential.

Part of JR luring him may have been a discussion about the starting job being up for grabs if he outplays Cam. Then give him a more lucrative longer-term contract next year and flip Ward and his big salary for assets.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
While I think Khubodin has starter potential, I don't think he's going to unseat Cam.

Simply because we won't get crap for him thanks to the current market for goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad