KHL TV news and discussion

ult

Sep 21, 2009
KHL TV just recently celebrated its 3rd year anniversary. But it's constantly improving so there are a lot of news to discuss as well as a lot of issues to address. Why don't we keep it here?

KHL TV is available on most of cable and satellite networks in Russia and CIS countries. The channel has begun broadcasting on October the 1st 2009. Since then it has grown to 23 million subscribers with more than 600 live broadcasts. This year KHL launched HD simulcast version of their channel.

Here is a list of the TV picture quality for home games of each team. Aspect ratio and definition.

avangard.gif
Avangard| 16:9 HD
automobilist.gif
Avtomobilist| 4:3 SD
akbars.gif
Ak Bars| 16:9 SD
amur.gif
Amur| 16:9 HD
atlant.gif
Atlant| 16:9 HD
barys.gif
Barys| 4:3 SD
vityaz.gif
Vityaz| 16:9 HD
dinamoMinsk.gif
Dinamo Minsk| 16:9 HD
dinamoMoscow.gif
Dynamo Moscow| 16:9 HD
dinamoRiga.gif
Dinamo Riga| 16:9 SD
donbas.gif
Donbass| 16:9 HD
2lev.gif
Lev| 16:9 SD
loko.gif
Lokomotiv| 4:3 SD
metalMg.gif
Metallurg Magnitogorsk| 4:3 SD
metalNk.gif
Metallurg Novokuznetsk| 4:3 SD
neftehimik.gif
Neftekhimik| 4:3 SD
Salavat.gif
Salavat Yulaev| 16:9 HD
Severstal| 4:3 SD
sibir.gif
Sibir| 4:3 SD
SKA.gif
SKA| 16:9 HD
slovan.gif
Slovan| 16:9 SD
Spartak.gif
Spartak| 16:9 HD
torpedo.gif
Torpedo| 4:3 SD
traktor.gif
Traktor| 4:3 SD
CSKA.gif
CSKA| 16:9 HD
Yugra| 4:3 SD

Teams that confirmed on getting HD are Ak Bars and Avtomobilist. Traktor should get HD next season. The list will be updated.

p.s. If you're wondering why some logos are missing, I had to chose 24... and it was random.

Last edited:

ult

Sep 21, 2009
As for some examples, the most recent additions:
Ufa got 16 cam OB van, with about 20 cameras on game, including two super slow motion Sony HDC-3300R.

1_57.jpg

15_25.jpg

0.jpg

Amur got 10 cam OB van with about 14 cameras on game. Including one ssm camera for replays.
3_0.jpeg

Avto will get the same equipment as Amur, and Kazan will get the same as Ufa. It's all part of the new national company created for coverage of Olympic Games.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Will stay this equipment in Kazan, Ufa etc after Sochi Games?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Yes, sure. They have local affiliated branches in some regions which will continue to cover events in those regions after Olympics. The amount of purchased equipment, that is 12 ob vans and a lot of mobile satellite stations, is too big for a single region, so they're trying to cover as much of Russia's territory as possible, not to mention that they're earning money as well.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
thx ult

It's all part of the new national company created for coverage of Olympic Games.
what is the name? If I see it, it is special company created due to OG (and then World Cup in 2018)

ult

Sep 21, 2009
It's called Sports Broadcasting (Panorama). http://panoramahd.ru/en/

http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...t-pereraspredelit-dokhody-v-polzu-klubov.html

A little bit outdated news, but still relevant. KHL will share their revenues from advertisements and TV deals with the clubs in the near future. I'd imagine with 23 million subscribers, we're talking about operating profit of at least $10mln monthly from KHL TV alone. I gues for teams with a year budget of 10 mln, getting a couple of millions from tv deals is gonna be big. Even more so for the teams like Amur or Riga who're making ~$4 million on ticket sales.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
A little bit outdated news, but still relevant. KHL will share their revenues from advertisements and TV deals with the clubs in the near future. I'd imagine with 23 million subscribers, we're talking about operating profit of at least $10mln monthly from KHL TV alone. I gues for teams with a year budget of 10 mln, getting a couple of millions from tv deals is gonna be big. Even more so for the teams like Amur or Riga who're making ~$4 million on ticket sales.

Hey Ult, thanks for puting this together, pretty interesting stuff... Is the goal to make all teams have HD within the next few years? Also, is it 23 mill. subscribers to a seperate KHL TV channel, or is this 23 million subscribers to some package that KHLtv is mandatory to? So this channel gives some of the revenues back to the teams? If so then this is a great step for the business model of the league. Consider that the NBA only had 8 million subscribers when it started and NHL network was projected around those figures, not sure where those numbers are at now...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's called Sports Broadcasting (Panorama). http://panoramahd.ru/en/

http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...t-pereraspredelit-dokhody-v-polzu-klubov.html

thx again.

yep, I read about "revenue sharing" in KHL. Just to add your post, during Channel One Cup (december 2012) is taking place a meeting of KHL executives and club owners where they discuss new model of operating. Main issues are advertasing places on ice/jerseys which belongs to KHL (60% ???), sharing of revenues from these advs, tv deals sharing (all income belongs to KHL, not clubs) etc.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Hey Ult, thanks for puting this together, pretty interesting stuff... Is the goal to make all teams have HD within the next few years? Also, is it 23 mill. subscribers to a seperate KHL TV channel, or is this 23 million subscribers to some package that KHLtv is mandatory to? So this channel giives some of the revenues back to the teams? If so then this is a great step for the business model of the league. Consider that the NBA only has 8 million subscribers and NHL network is projected around those figures...

Yes, that is the main goal.

It depends on provider. Some have KHL TV as the separate package, for example beeline offers you KHL TV for 50 rubles per month, in some cases KHL TV is part of sports bundles (7-10 channels for the price of 200 rubles or something like that), but Trikolor has it in its biggest package Maximum HD, and the whole pack is pretty cheap overall. But Trikolor is a satellite network, and they make most of their profits selling satellite equipment, so it's hard to tell how much KHL makes from that deal.

KHL haven't been sharing their revenues, but now clubs are starting to press them, as it's obvious they're making a lot of money. The KHL itself as organization has been profitable since 2009. So it's time for the next step. It hasn't been made yet, but according to GM of some teams it's just a matter of time.

As for KHL TV, it has grown from 3 to 23 million in 3 years. And they have a lot of uncovered ground. Right now they made KHL HD as the separate channel, what will let them to charge the same viewers again for the pleasure of watching games in HD. And if they make a better product, it'll certainly bring even more viewers.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Do you guys think that CSKA-Megafon case has something to do with this "process of revenue sharing in KHL"? I can imagine that wealthy club can make pressure on league by behaviou like CSKA(+SKA)-Megafon case

ult

Sep 21, 2009
http://tv.eurosport.ru/ice-hockey/khl/2012-2013/storynews_sto3470635.shtml

Very big interview with the head of KHL TV department. Some important bits:

- She's happy with the business situation in the Central Europe i.e. Czech Republic and Slovakia. They're negotiating a long-term contract. Hungary is in the list as well.

- This season KHL games were not available in Sweden and Finland, since Viasat deal has come to an end. But in the end they've come to an agreement with large channels in said countries. She's not sure when they'll begin to air games, but playoff will be covered.

- It's likely that Setanta UK will air KHL games in England.

- Negotiations with Asian countries are still in early phase. It's too early to tell if something comes out of this.

- ESPN has no complaints about picture quality.

- Traktor is working on getting new TV equipment. She encourages other teams to follow suit.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Do you guys think that CSKA-Megafon case has something to do with this "process of revenue sharing in KHL"? I can imagine that wealthy club can make pressure on league by behaviou like CSKA(+SKA)-Megafon case

Nah, I don't think Rosneft cares about money if they're willing to pay KHL sponsor just to not wear its logo.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
I hope Magnitka update their cameras soon, watching their home game highlights with the current quality is kinda painful. :(

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Sorry for off topic, but it is not usefull to create new thread.

According to this article Transneft was asked by clubs (named CSKA, LEV) and league to sell shares of KHL to clubs. If I understand it, someone can correct me.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Small update. Right now 3 TV crews, from Moscow, St. Petersburg and Kazan, are undergoing refresher course. All three for 24 cam OB vans. The course will finish on 25th of November, so no HD in Kazan till then.

http://panoramahd.ru/en/news/856

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The broadcast quality of the Yaroslavl vs. Slovan game right now is a disaster. (Watching it live on regular TV, the Czech Sport 2 channel.) The picture quality looks as if you were watching an archived game from the 1980s. No time whatsoever is shown on the screen, so you have no idea how any minutes are left in the period or in a penalty. And the signal broke down about 4 times in the opening 20 minutes of the broadcast for a minute or so each.

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

PS: Just as I finished typing this, the time finally appeared on the screen -- midway through the 1st period.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's shown in 16:9 here, but the picture quality is horrible: totally blurry, washed-out colours, etc. Also (as usual), the picture lags behind the sound by about 1-2 seconds.

Dafgat

Dec 7, 2011
Rostov-on-Don
What a shame...
to sign players like Malkin and do not buy the good-quality cameras...
The owners are totally stupied or ... The thought are breaking at this place

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What a shame...

It is not so easy ... arenas are not own by KHL clubs, local broadcasters are not owned by KHL clubs or broadcasters dont own KHL clubs (like in NHL) ...

Be patient, there are projects which will solve the problems sooner or later

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
What a shame...

It`s absolutley crazy,i mean what`s the point of Malkin if Malkin looks like a block of pixels skating on yellow ice.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Compared to the modern top notch OB van Malkin is cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad