KHL rookie of the year

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's simple: Tolvenen didn't win, because he wasn't at the gala. Simple as that.

The trophys name should thus be: Best KHL Rookie to Attend the Gala.

This is just idiotism from KHL, not a conspiracy. Pure idiotism... Such a nice "tribute" to Cherepanov...

I would love to know if Tolvanen was asked to go to the gala by KHL or Jokerit. Did he decline or was he not asked?

There's nothing legit about KHL awards anymore in my eyes. Might as well stop giving KHL awards. Way to go harming your own reputation KHL over some little thing like this. Really smart deciders over there.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Kravtsov played better in the playoffs, if you look at the history of the award most of them had strong playoff runs.
Yelling at the cloud as you're doing is laughable if best goalie and best defensemen awards were awarded to non-Russian players.
You know that Kravtsov won because -
a) He's Russian
b) He didn't go to NHL after been eliminated from playoffs.

He didn't win because he was better, he didn't beat Tolvanen at any metric. They had almost 30 point difference and I won't even start talking about which one had more impact for their respective teams.

It's a salty robber from Tolvanen just because he was playing in KHL as a loaned player from Preds.

Reactions: Exarz and Linear

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
You know that Kravtsov won because -
a) He's Russian
b) He didn't go to NHL after been eliminated from playoffs.

I'll repeat it once again: why Francouz won, if he's Czech and he has signed a contract with an NHL club?
EDIT: I want to be clear. I think there's little doubt that Tolvanen was more worthy of the award for his season. Just that this anti-Finn conspiracy theory is laughable.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'll repeat it once again: why Francouz won, if he's Czech and he has signed a contract with an NHL club?
EDIT: I want to be clear. I think there's little doubt that Tolvanen was more worthy of the award for his season. Just that this anti-Finn conspiracy theory is laughable.

Because he was present at the gala. And he only made there at the last minute. Sorokin was on stand-by and would have won the award if Francouz hadn't made it there.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Because he was present at the gala where they give the trophy?

So just because Tolvanen wasn't there, doesn't remove the fact that he dominated the rookie class and broke records. Not even sure was he invited to the gala

Reactions: Gsus

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't know. There are always questionable awards winner, in any era, in any sport, in any country
I am not saying that Tolvanen should not have won the award. I am just saying that in sight of the recipient of the goalie of the year award, conspiracy theorists look laughable and *********.

This one shouldn't have been even ....ng close, it was the easiest pick one could have had.

"There are always questionable awards winner," That just makes me laugh so hard.

KHL is garbage.

It's simple: Tolvenen didn't win, because he wasn't at the gala. Simple as that.

The trophys name should thus be: Best KHL Rookie to Attend the Gala.

This is just idiotism from KHL, not a conspiracy. Pure idiotism... Such a nice "tribute" to Cherepanov...

I'm guessing like Jokerit Eeli is in Finland, so a Jokerit player can never win an award in the KHL.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What is the point of awards if you don't give them to the best of each category? I wouldn't complain at all if the race was close but it wasn't.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Vitali Kravtsov Traktor. 4g 3a 7p

Eeli Tolvanen 19g 17a 36p probably came in second... Normal in Russia. We got a Russian winner! This is just unbeliavable. Oligarks playfield. Nothing to do with sports.
Bitter much? Over a meaningless award?

Yeah, the NHL always favors North Americans if it comes to those awards. Normal in America. This is just unbelievable! Oligarchs playfield! Nothing to do with sports! Joke of a league! Fire everyone!

Calm down. It is what it is. A subjective award, just like any award not based purely on stats.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
There's no pro Russian agenda. You make it to the gala, you win, regardless of nationality. Stupid? Extremely. But at least it's extremely stupid for anybody involved, regardless of nationality.

Doesn't make the second best league in the world a total joke though, like many here imply. And I don't think Eeli minds that much. He knows what he's done and I'm sure this will not rob him of that very positive overall experience.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
KHL probably took into account that Tolvanen had a lucky streak in the early season and then faded away completely, scoring only at 1/10 the pace compared to what he did during his hot streak. That might have factored into the choice.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
KHL probably took into account that Tolvanen had a lucky streak in the early season and then faded away completely, scoring only at 1/10 the pace compared to what he did during his hot streak. That might have factored into the choice.

Ron Howard voice: It did not.

That's one of the most absurd theories I've ever seen. :facepalm:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Ron Howard voice: It did not.

That's one of the most absurd theories I've ever seen. :facepalm:

I think it most definitely factored into the decision. If you score 90% of your points during the first 30% of the season and then do nearly nothing for the last 70%, can you really be considered the top rookie *of the year*? I think not. And it seems the wise of the KHL agree with me.

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
I think it most definitely factored into the decision. If you score 90% of your points during the first 30% of the season and then do nearly nothing for the last 70%, can you really be considered the top rookie *of the year*? I think not. And it seems the wise of the KHL agree with me.
Have you read the previous posts?

Tolvanen was the best rookie in the KHL by far and would have got the award IF he would have been at gala. There is no question about that.

Stupid KHL have just decided to give the award to the best rookie that can make it to the gala.

Francouz made it to the gala just in time, othervice the best goalie woild have been Sorokin.

There is no conspiracy.
There is no question who was the best rookie.
There is just KHL and it's stupid way of giving the award to the best that can make it to the gala.

Fix this KHL!

Reactions: MVPGoon

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Have you even looked at the stats? It doesn't matter when he scored the majority of his points, when he still scored so much more than anyone else. You're just completely wrong on this one.

Reactions: MVPGoon

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Bitter much? Over a meaningless award?

Yeah, the NHL always favors North Americans if it comes to those awards. Normal in America. This is just unbelievable! Oligarchs playfield! Nothing to do with sports! Joke of a league! Fire everyone!

Calm down. It is what it is. A subjective award, just like any award not based purely on stats.
It is a samdurak logic really. And no, I don't remember last time NHL snubbed somebody as bad as Tolvanen was in this case.

PS Some people here are too defensive about KHL, like this guys can do no wrong. I understand, it is a little bit exhausting to read biased articles in western press and some europeans with their presuppositions on forum, but KHL also can actually make a mistake. Tolvanen snub was a mistake.

PPS For all people talking about xenophobia, guys, in russians there's a strange duality of "great-country chauvinism" and "we need to please the foreigners first" so it is in balance.

embiid21

Jun 13, 2018
For the people who don't understand why award rookie of the year take Kravtsov.
You can translate to english and you will see:
1) Only for Russian <26
2) Award established by the company "Centrosport" not by KHL
Yes it's absurd, even if Tolvanen played like Gretzky he can't win because of the rule. And most people in Russian can't take it, like wtf Tolvanen won almost all 'rookie of the month award'
PS: i'm not russian, right now internation student in Moscow;
Лучший новичок сезона (хоккейный приз) — Википедия

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
For the people who don't understand why award rookie of the year take Kravtsov.
You can translate to english and you will see:
1) Only for Russian <26
2) Award established by the company "Centrosport" not by KHL
Yes it's absurd, even if Tolvanen played like Gretzky he can't win because of the rule. And most people in Russian can't take it, like wtf Tolvanen won almost all 'rookie of the month award'
PS: i'm not russian, right now internation student in Moscow;
Лучший новичок сезона (хоккейный приз) — Википедия

Its apparently you who doesn't understand the eligibility of the award.

from an official source not some Wikipedia article (lol)

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
I don't know. There are always questionable awards winner, in any era, in any sport, in any country
I am not saying that Tolvanen should not have won the award. I am just saying that in sight of the recipient of the goalie of the year award, conspiracy theorists look laughable and *********.
You'll be pretty hard pressed to find an award this poorly voted. This would be equivalent to Brad Boyes winning the rookie of the year over Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad