KHL equivalents of NHL teams

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Not sure if "equivalent" is the correct term but you get the idea. Which teams in KHL reminds you an NHL team? Similarities may be just about anything from the city to a certain type of play style and such. The ones I have in my mind,

Pittsburgh Penguins & Metallurg Magnitogorsk: Both hail from cities that are known for their steel. Both are very strong competitors with superstars and arguably the best teams in their respective leagues.

Washington Capitals & Avangard Omsk: Very strong regular season performances, top teams in recent years which somehow manage to fail come play-off time. Experts in giving their fans misery and cancer.

Florida Panthers & HC Sochi: Well, Sochi is kind of Russian Florida and they virtually share the same logo.

So what are yours, if you have any?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Kunlun Red Star - Arizona Coyotes. Lost in the desert.

HC Slovan Bratislava - Winnipeg Jets. Very strong fans support, but the wallet is empty.

Last edited:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
CSKA - Montreal

Best team in each league historically, but both fails to win the cup despite having one of the better rosters

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Spartak - NY Islanders

Clubs with rich history, though glory years were long ago. Both reside in largest city in their country and they are both little brothers to more prominent club(s) in the same city.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
fsGfeu6.png

:sarcasm:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Metallurg Novokuznetsk - Arizona Coyotes

Existed for a long time & have absolutely zero things to show for it.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Jokerit:

SM-Liiga years: New York Islanders: had championship dynasty during the late 70s and early 80s. Jokerit had dynasty going during 90s. NYI: founded 1972, Jokerit 1967. Both teams have city rivals with bigger fan base in Rangers (founded 1926) and HIFK (1897, hockey in 1945). Though many said Jokerit were the NYR because they were rich and overpaid for players, especially in the later years in the league.

KHL years still early to say but maybe: St. Louis Blues, both founded in 1967. No Cups but some playoff action. Or then San Jose Sharks: fast playoff exit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad