KHL Contraction Part I (Mod Warning - Post #15)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Bern’s metro area is 400k
What about Cherepovets metro area? :sarcasm:

In any case, the point was there is more to it than a sheer population of a town. Generally, I agree there is no tragedy at all in playing in the VHL but at the same time, Severstal definitely wouldn't be my first choice to kick out. I have a hard time understanding why is everyone on their case so much while something like Vityaz - the team in an overcrowded market with no steady home, no fans, no history, no anything - gets a free pass.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
A town of barely 300K shouldn't have a pro team in continent's top league.
Good, point - lets kick out Magnitogorsk already! They already have Traktor from the same region and from a much bigger city - all signs show they can be contracted. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Exarz

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Good, point - lets kick out Magnitogorsk already! They already have Traktor from the same region and from a much bigger city - all signs show they can be contracted. :sarcasm:

I hope you're kidding. Vityaz hail from the biggest and most well-developed region of the country with a handful of historical teams with nothing to show for - those guys couldn't even find a home for themselves for like 10 years, becoming "Podolsk" or "Chekhov" as they please. They're by no means important or classical. Founded recently, serves no purpose. I mean, if a town known for its hockey love had a hockey team with loyal and crazy fans, I'm sure everyone would love and support it. Vityaz have none of that. I'm not a big fan of Cherepovets either but Vityaz look much more useless and tasteless in comparison with them.

Magnitogorsk and Chelyabinsk are decently populated, important cities of a big region. One doesn't hinder the other. The distance between two cities is big enough to justify having them both. Seriously, we're talking about almost 400 kilometers. Do you compare those two with Moscow and Podolsk, not even 50km between them?

I think KHL's biggest problem for now is Minsk and Bratislava. Those two teams are very important to keep KHL as a Eurasian league but they have been consistently bad. Well, Dynamo Minsk could be salvaged - I mean, nowadays the prospect of Belarus and Russia forming a single country is being discussed, so Dynamo Minsk, a historical side with a decent KHL record can be definitely saved but what to do with Slovan? They are just not on par with the others and this has not been a one-season fluke, unfortunately.

I always say this: I don't want to see this happen but I feel KHL will soon turn into a Russian league with one or two teams from abroad. I hope I'll be wrong and we'll see Berlin, Wien etc. but with international isolation of Russia by sanctions makes it really difficult to cooperate with other leagues and teams.

At this very moment, KHL have no reason to kick any teams out if Minsk and Bratislava are staying. I'd say, get rid of this Kunlun of an abomination but nah, it's not gonna happen.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@hansomreiste

I will repeat again. There are serious talks about possible new co-owner of Slovan. Most likely, the new co-owner is connected to the GDF-Suez, now known as Engie, the 11th largest public company in France according to Forbes.

If the deal happens, Slovan will be OK.

E:
If you follow the KHL, you need to know there is no international isolation of the league. The opposite is true. It is a bit funny because, with so-called Russian isolation, more and more officials of any kind, including hockey´s, travel to Moscow for talks.

Last edited:

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
A town of barely 300K shouldn't have a pro team in continent's top league.
You'll have nightmares about Ambri Piotta HC then in Swiss league? Based in Quinto with a population of 1,044!

@hansomreiste

Minsk aren't going anywhere, they never will! All they need is some decent coaches and some better signings.

Abit off topic but Medvescak seem to have finally died? Announced that they are not competing in the EBEL after this season is over.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Are there any news on which teams will get kicked out? Or, will there be any? I think KHL may want to keep some teams unless they expand into new territories. At this point, kicking Severstal and Vityaz would pretty much mean that almost every team makes it to playoff. Which teams are the primary candidates to go, in your opinion?

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
How are Minsk and Bratislava making the KHL a Eurasian League?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
No contraction for 2019/20 season. With no teams coming in, I think it is better to keep the likes of Severstal and Vityaz.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I think it means that they found new benefactors. The tales of Tashkent, Korea, a second Chinese team and Japan are interesting, but to what end? The league doesn’t know how to sell sizzle or steak.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Does that mean that the league sees progress?
I think they just can't/don't want to kick out Admiral, which is at the bottom, for geographical reasons and hence don't have a good enough excuse to kick Severstal.

Basically, it's not so much about progress as about not wanting to kick out Severstal bad enough. Also the Slovan situation is still murky and no new teams join so KHL doesn't want to spit into the well, as the saying goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad