KHL All-Star Team in NHL

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend
What do you think the different outcomes would be for those two scenarios?

Well there are some highly skilled players in the KHL, which most of the people here underestimate.
I don't believe that SKA St Petersburg would finish last in the NHL this year.
As KHL teams play on Euro-sized rinks they get players that are suited to play on that rinks size, which is why the would probably do better on the larger ice surface.

Whodoyouthinkyousee

Dec 27, 2015
No St. Petersburg would not be a playoff team. Thats just ridiculous. All the players who don't make it to the NHL, or made it but are no longer good enough that some team would even hire them are often stars in KHL. The difference is just way to big.

Jan 3, 2012
They would be Playoff Contenders.

Sure, the KHL is behind the NHL, but an Allstar team could def have a chance at winning a cup.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Top KHL teams would be NHL playoff teams on big ice. But it's not. So I don't think they'd fare too well in the NHL.

Whodoyouthinkyousee

Dec 27, 2015
What is this sorcery... Could someone who thinks that they would be good give an example all-star roster fromm KHL?

I mean I look at the St. Petersburgh roster and results this year and nothing there screams playoff team to me? If you compare it for example Edmonton or Columbus who are last at the nhl, can you honestly say that Petersburgh have better roster than those two? That just sounds ridiculous to me.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No St. Petersburg would not be a playoff team. Thats just ridiculous. All the players who don't make it to the NHL, or made it but are no longer good enough that some team would even hire them are often stars in KHL. The difference is just way to big.

Looking at their roster and pretty much none of them played in the NHL after about age 21.

Joakim Lindstrom is pretty much the only guy that fits your description. Most of their talent is home grown.

Edit; Dmitri Kalinin as well. Not familiar with him but he put up decent stats for a bit in Buffalo.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
Something like this?

Mozyakin-Kovar-Zaripov
Kovalchuk-Da Costa-Radulov
Omark-Shipachev-Dadonov
Hartikainen-Sobotka-Bochenski

Zaitsev-Belov
Lepistö-Yakolev
Chudinov-Voynov

Koskinen
Salak

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Something like this?

Mozyakin-Kovar-Zaripov
Kovalchuk-Da Costa-Radulov
Omark-Shipachev-Dadonov
Hartikainen-Sobotka-Bochenski

Zaitsev-Belov
Lepistö-Yakolev
Chudinov-Voynov

Koskinen
Salak

Da costa lol? he couldn't make the sens surely there are better players then him

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are right now, and it's probably starting to reverse itself, but there's been a drain of Russian born players leaving or never coming to the NHL from Russia.

In 99-00, there were 68 Russian players in the NHL. Today there are 32. So there should easily be a team or two worth of NHL players that chose to stay in Russia. If enough of them are Artemi Panarin caliber you should be able to build a good team.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I'm not sure exactly what the numbers are right now, and it's probably starting to reverse itself, but there's been a drain of Russian born players leaving or never coming to the NHL from Russia.

In 99-00, there were 68 Russian players in the NHL. Today there are 32. So there should easily be a team or two worth of NHL players that chose to stay in Russia. If enough of them are Artemi Panarin caliber you should be able to build a good team.
Panarin was 4th overall in scoring in the KHL last year, there definitely aren't 32 Panarins hidden in the KHL. There are also a lot of guys who do really well in the KHL but just can't make the transition to the NHL. Steve Moses dominated the K last year and couldn't make the NHL (granted that was on the Predators who have a stacked D), Stephane Da Costa couldn't stick on the Senators but was one of the top players in the KHL last year.

I think a KHL All Star Team would be a bubble playoff team at best. I'm sure they have enough guys who would be solid NHL players to ice a decent roster, but there are also a lot of guys that flourish there that just aren't suited for the NHL.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

I think I just heard that Swedish and Finnish players just hit 13% of the nhl. I don't think Russia has fallen off skill wise that significantly compared to everyone else. There has to be another factor. Making as much money while playing in your home country sure seems like a solid reason for the discrepancy.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think I just heard that Swedish and Finnish players just hit 13% of the nhl. I don't think Russia has fallen off skill wise that significantly compared to everyone else. There has to be another factor. Making as much money while playing in your home country sure seems like a solid reason for the discrepancy.
I don't think Russia has fallen off skill wise either, however I do think almost every NHL 1st line/1st pairing caliber Russian player is in the NHL with very few exceptions. If you're a depth guy in the NHL, it makes a lot more sense to stay in the KHL where you can be a top line star player, but the Ovechkins, Malkins, Datsyuks and Tarasenkos pretty much all come to the NHL with a couple exceptions.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Every year the KHL sends a star over to the NHL for the past 3 years. Tarasenko in 2013, Kuznetsov in 2014 and Panarin in 2015.
The top team in the KHL is just as good as the worst team in the NHL. Put all the best players together and you have your 31st NHL team.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Every year the KHL sends a star over to the NHL for the past 3 years. Tarasenko in 2013, Kuznetsov in 2014 and Panarin in 2015.
The top team in the KHL is just as good as the worst team in the NHL. Put all the best players together and you have your 31st NHL team.

2012 - Jagr

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't think Russia has fallen off skill wise either, however I do think almost every NHL 1st line/1st pairing caliber Russian player is in the NHL with very few exceptions. If you're a depth guy in the NHL, it makes a lot more sense to stay in the KHL where you can be a top line star player, but the Ovechkins, Malkins, Datsyuks and Tarasenkos pretty much all come to the NHL with a couple exceptions.

I don't know Tarasenkos story, but the KHL wasn't even around when the rest of them were making that decision. Malkin and Ovi were idolizing The Russians playing in the NHL in the 90's growing up. I'm not Russian, but I am sure that Russian kids now are watching the KHL and idolizing them. How many hardcore fans put up with the time difference?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
No doubt you can put together one team from all KHL players and it would certainly be a playoff contender. Absolutely. No matter the ice size.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Da costa lol? he couldn't make the sens surely there are better players then him

He would make the Sens now. Not as a 2C but definitely would contribute positively to that roster. Better than McCormick, Pageau, Prince, Lazar and Chiaisson, Neil right now imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad