Kharlamov, Maltsev, Mikhailov, Vasiliev, Lutchenko vs Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov, Kasatonov

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If anyone is questioning the inclusion of Lutchenko, I tried to stick to a 70’s vs 80’s theme. Ragulin would have been in his place had he not played primarily in the 60’s.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
KLM + FK obviously.

For starters, Maltsev centered Mikhailov and Kharlamov only occasionally in international tournaments or tours (when their usual ntl team/CSKA center Petrov couldn't play for some reason), and Fetisov and Kasatonov was clearly the best defensive pair the Soviets/CSKA ever had. The hockey in the 1980s looks faster and better too, which also might affect the judgement a little.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I prefer the latter group. Proven together over a long period and a much better defence pairing.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Significant advantage to Fetisov-Kasatonov pairing. Plus Maltsev was better off as a wing. Petrov was more suited to be a center, as he was a far better defensive forward.

Reactions: Overrated

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As a group?

The Green Unit a.k.a. The Russian 5 were better together due to CHEMISTRY. The vaulted KLM line was so successful because of the playmaking support of Fetisov and his longtime partner.

Petrov centered Kharlamov's line for most of Valeri's career, and Gusev played with Lutchenko (Vasiliev played for a different club team, Dynamo, and joined the Red-Army-trained international team at times).

Add a second line to each decade's squad and the better bunch would alternate. Maltsev and Vasiliev could headline the 2nd unit and shine in that role.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A fun idea:

O6 greats
vs.
Soviet greats
vs.
Modern NHL greats
vs.
A pick-up squad of the best of all other eras, players (eg., PCHA, early NHL, Czechoslovakians, etc)

Given what a hard time the 1980's Soviets gave Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque and company, clearly it would be foolhardy to say "of course" to a victory for a Modern NHL squad with Crosby, McDavid, what have you.

I love counterfactual thinking. The big "What if"s....

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I figured the 80’s group would be favoured, but didn’t think it would be unanimous. :)

And you guys are right, Petrov would have made more sense over Maltsev due to chemistry and natural position. I just thought since Maltsev is viewed by many as better historically I didn’t like the thought of leaving him off a decade team.

A fun idea:

O6 greats
vs.
Soviet greats
vs.
Modern NHL greats
vs.
A pick-up squad of the best of all other eras, players (eg., PCHA, early NHL, Czechoslovakians, etc)

Given what a hard time the 1980's Soviets gave Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque and company, clearly it would be foolhardy to say "of course" to a victory for a Modern NHL squad with Crosby, McDavid, what have you.

I love counterfactual thinking. The big "What if"s....

I love ideas like this as well. We should definitely set something up.

How about the following groups:

- O6 greats (say 1940’s through to expansion)
- post expansion era (say 67 through the 80’s)
- modern NHL (90’s to today)
- soviet greats (non NHLers and those who played most of their prime in Russia
- best of the rest (PCHA, pre-40’s NHL/NHA, euros that played all or most of their careers back home)

Or does it make more sense to combine the O6 and post expansion groups as one?

Reactions: VanIslander

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
06 can and should stand alone.

How about 3 lines each team, 2 pairings on d, one goalie?

FFF
FFF
FFF

DD
DD

G

Sounds good to me.

Hopefully we can drum up enough interest that it can hold its own as a new thread. Could be a nice group project for the summer. Would we just be spitballing ideas/opinions and then come up with our own groups or should we treat it as an actual group voting type of exercise - kind of like the top 100 all-time projects - and come up with definitive teams for each group? This could be as small or big as we would want it to be, I suppose.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No need for draft... just candidates.... arguments.... lineups projected and updated

Just its own thread

You and i can post early and update that post with the best of each

Or...

Get two more guys and each of us GMs a team, collecting feedback over a few weeks... plan to present ginal libeup for poll question on a specified later date

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
No need for draft... just candidates.... arguments.... lineups projected and updated

Just its own thread

You and i can post early and update that post with the best of each

Or...

Get two more guys and each of us GMs a team, collecting feedback over a few weeks... plan to present ginal libeup for poll question on a specified later date

The GM idea could be fun, but a group conversation thread to discuss everything would probably work better, provided there is interest from more than just a small number of posters.

You can create the thread if you’d like since it was your idea.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I agree with others about Fetisov and Kasatonov. They were great. Kasatonov underrated, I think.

The forward lines are interesting; if it's Petrov with Kharlamov and Mikhailov...I loved that line. Diverse talents. Very different from KLM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad