C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think he probably tops out at 6'-0" and 185-190 lbs. That's OK.

You shouldn't be adding inches to players beyond the age 17. The majority stop getting taller at that point.

The Demidov one has started bothering me.

How is this guy with how we saw Michkov fall so far projected as #2? It makes no sense. Catton skates better. He plays the more valuable position. They are virtually the same size. I wouldn’t say Catton is any worse defensively.

I think Demidov is very good, but I’m just not understanding how Demidov is loved and Catton is pretty much hated.

Demidov is well built.

Look at how players take contact - Catton sometimes goes flying and looks crushed. Demidov is often the one doing the damage.

There's also a long list of caveats with Michkov that don't apply to Demidov. If Demidov got a lot smaller and weaker and started telling teams not to draft him and looked like a pylon in his zone, then sure similar situation.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The Demidov one has started bothering me.

How is this guy with how we saw Michkov fall so far projected as #2? It makes no sense. Catton skates better. He plays the more valuable position. They are virtually the same size. I wouldn’t say Catton is any worse defensively.

I think Demidov is very good, but I’m just not understanding how Demidov is loved and Catton is pretty much hated.
Same, and also I would tend to value WHL production over MHL because it's closer to the NHL in terms of style. Easier projection.
Don't think Catton is hated, but he's undervalued compared to other, bigger frame prospects.

I wouldn't mind of the Habs picked Catton at 5

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He had absolutely terrific linemates.

His team stunk and they had no depth scoring but Roulette is a drafted NHL player in his 4th straight season as a PPG+ WHL player who put up 108 points and Bertholet has basically been a PPG player over the last 3 WHL seasons and led Spokane (and Catton) in scoring by 15 points in 22-23.
This is what I was talking about.

Just like Crosby's " excellent team mates" who were huge nothing burgers at the next level.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Just like Crosby's " excellent team mates" who were huge nothing burgers at the next level.
Not that I agree with Catton’s linemates being excellent, but whether or not they’re future NHLers is completely irrelevant. Catton plays with a couple good WHLers, not some slubs he’s dragging around. They are solid players and would be without Catton too. Roulette in particular jumped out at me watching Spokane—don’t think he’s an NHLer or anything, but he’s a very good WHLer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not that I agree with Catton’s linemates being excellent, but whether or not they’re future NHLers is completely irrelevant. Catton plays with a couple good WHLers, not some slubs he’s dragging around. They are solid players and would be without Catton too. Roulette in particular jumped out at me watching Spokane—don’t think he’s an NHLer or anything, but he’s a very good WHLer.
By next level I mean the AHL not NHL.

Either way Catton is a okay driver, his support last season greatly benefitted from him not the other way around.

To me he very easily can become the 2nd best forward in this draft long term.

I really Demidov as well.

The size thing is over rated as he isn't 5'8 or anything.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Lots of talk about his size but is the skill so overwhelming that he projects as a top skill guy in the nhl? Some say he’s more in the Keller tier.

Reactions: wetcoast

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

There's also a long list of caveats with Michkov that don't apply to Demidov. If Demidov got a lot smaller and weaker and started telling teams not to draft him and looked like a pylon in his zone, then sure similar situation.
Strongly disagree that Michkov is smaller and weaker to a significant degree or can't play defense.

AND atleast he had the dignity to tell teams BEFORE the draft that he didn't want to play for them, unlike scumbag Gauthier.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I guess NHL teams are contributing the production to the sheer amount of ice he played, and then just don't like the size profile. Can't say I agree with them one bit, I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Its not like he benefited from playing with some elite players, everything he got, he earned.

Reactions: wetcoast

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If your standard for 'good linemates' is 'guys who went on to become NHLers' like the London Knights of a few years back, virtually nobody has good linemates.

Roulette is an NHL-drafted player who scored 108 points and has been a 4x PPG player in the WHL with 3 different teams. He's one of the best forwards in the WHL, regardless of whether he has the skills to move on. Same deal with Bertholet who led Spokane in scoring by 15 points last year. These are outstanding players at this level and Catton absolutely did not have 'weak linemates' like he was 13-14 Draisaitl or something.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If you're wondering why Catton will slide to around #10-15 this is how slight his frame is (image pulled from a Spokane Chiefs youtube video earlier in the year):

View attachment 867332

At least he's displaying how he's trying to pack on some pounds.

There are scrawny skilled guys who make it and he's just a kid, but a team that already has size in the top 6 would be a good landing spot for Catton.
Meh... protein shakes between meals and standard strength building like squats, bench, dead lifts etc... he could pack on some muscle weight over the summer...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If your standard for 'good linemates' is 'guys who went on to become NHLers' like the London Knights of a few years back, virtually nobody has good linemates.

Roulette is an NHL-drafted player who scored 108 points and has been a 4x PPG player in the WHL with 3 different teams. He's one of the best forwards in the WHL, regardless of whether he has the skills to move on. Same deal with Bertholet who led Spokane in scoring by 15 points last year. These are outstanding players at this level and Catton absolutely did not have 'weak linemates' like he was 13-14 Draisaitl or something.
I never said anything about weak linemates was just pushing back on the excellent linemates argument that has come up in the past.

Also if one thinks these two or even one of them is outstanding at this level the fact that Catton significantly outscored them in his draft year must be a huge plus for Catton eh?

If Catton drops out if the top 10 he might very well end up as the best value pick in the first round.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m sorry but NHLers play with other NHL prospects in the CHL all the time, every single season. Bertholet and Roulette are good players no doubt, but there are legit drafted NHL prospects playing with each other all the time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I never said anything about weak linemates was just pushing back on the excellent linemates argument that has come up in the past.

Also if one thinks these two or even one of them is outstanding at this level the fact that Catton significantly outscored them in his draft year must be a huge plus for Catton eh?

If Catton drops out if the top 10 he might very well end up as the best value pick in the first round.

Roulette is an excellent linemate, full stop. Amongst recent high WHL draftee forwards, Catton has above-average linemates.

Obviously Catton is an outstanding prospect. It's weird because I have him at 10-ish and feel like I like him a lot - and it's in line with NHL scouts - but this board loves tiny players with lots of points so it makes it like I'm negative on him which I'm definitely not.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People forget that being projected to go like 10th in a Draft doesn't mean everyone thinks you suck.. The discourse on prospects on fan sites gets all out of whack. Who would he potentially lower than that would be insulting? Different players bring different things to the table... It's not just skill, skill, skill down the line when it comes to selecting.

Reactions: Leto

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I guess NHL teams are contributing the production to the sheer amount of ice he played, and then just don't like the size profile. Can't say I agree with them one bit, I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Its not like he benefited from playing with some elite players, everything he got, he earned.

I'm guessing as to why he isn't rated higher as well, but I don't think scouts are taking away from Catton how good he was this year. Really damn good. Incredible transition ability.

I think there is something with his physique that is scaring them off. Otherwise there is no way you pass on this guy in picks #8-#10.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Roulette is an excellent linemate, full stop. Amongst recent high WHL draftee forwards, Catton has above-average linemates.

Obviously Catton is an outstanding prospect. It's weird because I have him at 10-ish and feel like I like him a lot - and it's in line with NHL scouts - but this board loves tiny players with lots of points so it makes it like I'm negative on him which I'm definitely not.
I guess the thing for me is that he doesn't project as tiny he is already 3 inches taller than what people usually consider tiny, he just has a slight frame and his Hockey IQ is off the charts and there is more risk in other larger prospects when projecting for the NHL IMO.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I guess the thing for me is that he doesn't project as tiny he is already 3 inches taller than what people usually consider tiny, he just has a slight frame and his Hockey IQ is off the charts and there is more risk in other larger prospects when projecting for the NHL IMO.
Yeah. He’s not tiny. He’s slight, but he’s not even that tiny. There are successful NHLers who are 3 inches shorter. I haven’t seen 9 better players than him this year so seeing him at 10 is just surprising.

People always say you can’t teach size, I agree. I would argue you can’t teach people to process the game in the way players like Catton do either.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
This kid might fall out of the top 10, on which teams in the 15 to 25 range would he be the most coveted? I think a trade up for him as a potential top 5 talent might be interesting/warranted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad