Speculation: Key RFA signings

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
A lot of chatter surrounding impending UFAs like Vanek and MacDonald but we also have important signings/ decisions to make regarding our RFA.

Even if you are a Snow hater, you must admit he has made some great deals with restricted free agents.

Casey Cizikas-

Matt Martin got 4 years at 4 million.
Clutterbuck got 4 years at 11 million.

I'd expect something in the middle for Casey. I still believe he hasn't been given the proper opportunity to showcase his offensive ability but still is able to put up decent numbers. His performance in the playoffs last season was incredible, his effort on a nightly basis goes often overlooked b/c it's expected.

Prediction: 4 years at 7.5 million (1.875 mill per)

Calvin de Haan

This is going to be very interesting. Do we look to make a bridge deal or do we try to get him locked up long term? If we bridge, we'd risk having to pay him legit top 4 money (4-6 million per) in a few years. Cap going up too.

I'm guessing Snow is looking at a long term deal similar to what he pulled off with Hamonic.

Prediction: 6 years at 18 million (3 million per)

Matt Donovan

Can't imagine Donovan getting anything more than a 1 year 2 way contract. CANNOT afford to give him a one-way with Reinhart, Pulock and Pokka pushing for a spot next season. Hopefully him and his agent understand that he needs to prove it.

Prediction: 1 year (2 way) at 1.75 million

Anders Lee

I literally have no idea what is going to happen here. I'm sure Anders wants a chance to play in the NHL as he is 23 years old. Is there any room for him with Strome and Nelson getting F/T roles? Do the Islanders move him at the draft?

Prediction: Beats me

Anders Nilsson & Kevin Poulin

I'd prefer Nabby in a backup role over either of these guys next year. Not a fan of either and Poulin has looked brutal. If either of them are willing to take friendly 2 way deals, then I'd be cool with one of them coming back.

I get that goalies development takes time and these guys are still young, but if they aren't refining their games and improving, its a burden to keep them on the F/T NHL roster.

Prediction: Anders Nilsson- Loaned to Sweden - Isles retain NA rights.

Poulin- 1 year (one way) - 1.25 million

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Well, if there were enough RFA's contributing to the team in a way that had them making the playoffs every season then great deals all around. However, its more than RFAs. Snow has failed at UFA big time, which this team needs to supplement the kiddie corps that is so heavily relied on.

All those great RFA deals are not resulting in Snow spending the money anywhere else...so, who cares?

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Well, if there were enough RFA's contributing to the team in a way that had them making the playoffs every season then great deals all around. However, its more than RFAs. Snow has failed at UFA big time, which this team needs to supplement the kiddie corps that is so heavily relied on.

All those great RFA deals are not resulting in Snow spending the money anywhere else...so, who cares?

There is already a "Snow Must Go" thread, go there.

I made a point that he has excelled signing favorable RFA deals in the past, nothing more.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
A lot of chatter surrounding impending UFAs like Vanek and MacDonald but we also have important signings/ decisions to make regarding our RFA.

Even if you are a Snow hater, you must admit he has made some great deals with restricted free agents.

Casey Cizikas-

Matt Martin got 4 years at 4 million.
Clutterbuck got 4 years at 11 million.

I'd expect something in the middle for Casey. I still believe he hasn't been given the proper opportunity to showcase his offensive ability but still is able to put up decent numbers. His performance in the playoffs last season was incredible, his effort on a nightly basis goes often overlooked b/c it's expected.

Prediction: 4 years at 7.5 million (1.875 mill per)

Calvin de Haan

This is going to be very interesting. Do we look to make a bridge deal or do we try to get him locked up long term? If we bridge, we'd risk having to pay him legit top 4 money (4-6 million per) in a few years. Cap going up too.

I'm guessing Snow is looking at a long term deal similar to what he pulled off with Hamonic.

Prediction: 6 years at 18 million (3 million per)

Matt Donovan

Can't imagine Donovan getting anything more than a 1 year 2 way contract. CANNOT afford to give him a one-way with Reinhart, Pulock and Pokka pushing for a spot next season. Hopefully him and his agent understand that he needs to prove it.

Prediction: 1 year (2 way) at 1.75 million

Anders Lee

I literally have no idea what is going to happen here. I'm sure Anders wants a chance to play in the NHL as he is 23 years old. Is there any room for him with Strome and Nelson getting F/T roles? Do the Islanders move him at the draft?

Prediction: Beats me

Anders Nilsson & Kevin Poulin

I'd prefer Nabby in a backup role over either of these guys next year. Not a fan of either and Poulin has looked brutal. If either of them are willing to take friendly 2 way deals, then I'd be cool with one of them coming back.

I get that goalies development takes time and these guys are still young, but if they aren't refining their games and improving, its a burden to keep them on the F/T NHL roster.

Prediction: Anders Nilsson- Loaned to Sweden - Isles retain NA rights.

Poulin- 1 year (one way) - 1.25 million

I agree that Casey is under-valued here...

IMO Cizikas, DeHAAN, Lee have to be retained.
One of Poulin or Nilsson would be nice to retain but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they both took a long walk off a short bridge. If we didn't retain either it would force Snow to sign at least 2 goalies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
There is already a "Snow Must Go" thread, go there.

I made a point that he has excelled signing favorable RFA deals in the past, nothing more.

Well, that's only part of the equation into winning. How is that irrelevant? Has nothing to do with Snow Must Go.

If I bought 3 tow trucks at great deals, but if they do not help me accomplish my mission, then how important were those great deals?

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Well, that's only part of the equation into winning. How is that irrelevant? Has nothing to do with Snow Must Go.

If I bought 3 tow trucks at great deals, but if they do not help me accomplish my mission, then how important were those great deals?

And if we were talking about buying new, different tow trucks in new,different deals, why would you decide that we should only talk about the boss not hiring quality mechanics and proper tools back at the shop? Different topics entirely.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

John Tavares is making 5.5 million until 2018-19. That is a GREAT deal with GREAT value. That is all.

Looking to speculate on RFA deals upcoming this offseason, not talking about the W-L record. Again, take it somewhere else to complain about Snow.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I agree that Casey is under-valued here...

IMO Cizikas, DeHAAN, Lee have to be retained.
One of Poulin or Nilsson would be nice to retain but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they both took a long walk off a short bridge. If we didn't retain either it would force Snow to sign at least 2 goalies.

I don't think there is a question that Cizikas and de Haan are F/T next year.

But Anders Lee and his agent must be seeking a one way deal at this stage. Would you be willing to guarantee a spot for him?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

But Anders Lee and his agent must be seeking a one way deal at this stage. Would you be willing to guarantee a spot for him?

I think Anders gets a call up to see what he can do after the deadline.

CaptDenisPotvin

Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I would....got to think worst case scenario, he's better than Colin Mcdonald right?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
As for the others:

Calvin gets a bridge deal. If he continues at that level, he'll get a big raise, but you can extend him again and take away UFA years.

Nilsson/Poulin - One is gone. The other gets a backup deal.

Cizikas - 4 years, 5 mil

Matt Donovan - Egad. Depends on the trade deadline and UFA period. I'm still a fan of his though.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Yeah I would....got to think worst case scenario, he's better than Colin Mcdonald right?

Consensus seems to be that Anders is best suited for a top 6 role. He can make plays around the net but lacks speed and defensive awareness at this stage (could still improve).

Colin MacDonald is still signed through next season as well, so limited room for Anders to have an everyday role. Especially since Nelson and Strome are expected to be F/T

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Cizikas- 4 years 6-6.5 mil

de Haan-2 years 3-4 mil

Lee- I have no idea

Poulin and Nilsson- I wish one would have earned a nice contract but neither did..

Donovan- 2yrs 2Mil

CaptDenisPotvin

Jun 20, 2007
Consensus seems to be that Anders is best suited for a top 6 role. He can make plays around the net but lacks speed and defensive awareness at this stage (could still improve).

Colin MacDonald is still signed through next season as well, so limited room for Anders to have an everyday role. Especially since Nelson and Strome are expected to be F/T

I don't know, I just feel for this team to take the next step we need to move past place holders like Colin McDonald. I like Mcdonald but I don't see the point in holding a prospect back or even losing him over the likes of a run-of-the-mill player like McDonald. Even with signing someone like Mason Raymond I could see something like:

Nelson-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Strome-Raymond
Bailey-Nielson-Lee
Martin-CC-Clutterbuck

McDonald 13th forward

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don't know, I just feel for this team to take the next step we need to move past place holders like Colin McDonald. I like Mcdonald but I don't see the point in holding a prospect back or even losing him over the likes of a run-of-the-mill player like McDonald. Even with signing someone like Mason Raymond I could see something like:

Nelson-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Strome-Raymond
Bailey-Nielson-Lee
Martin-CC-Clutterbuck

McDonald 13th forward

I agree, I like CMac but I'd prefer him as the 13th. Clutterbuck needs to get out of the top-9 and onto that 4th line. It will make us a much better team, IMO.

As for de Haan's contract, I'd prefer to go long-term if he's willing. We can probably get him inked in the $2-2.5M range over a 6 or 7 year deal. Could end up being a bargain.

Based on the injury history, I'd be surprised if they go this route, and if they don't I won't be surprised if CdH ends up commanding a pretty big contract in a couple of years.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Cizikas- 4 years 6-6.5 mil

de Haan-2 years 3-4 mil

Lee- I have no idea

Poulin and Nilsson- I wish one would have earned a nice contract but neither did..

Donovan- 2yrs 2Mil

I think this is why we need to have him up with the big club for the last 20 games. Let's see what he can contribute, whether the things that are missing can be corrected with proper coaching (hmmm where's he gonna get that) or we decide to move on. That is a small benefit of crapping the bed this year, experiment a little since it really isn't gonna hurt any more than it has already. I hope he stays, we could use a big bodied forward.

Zeeks and CdH seem to be no brainers but think Cal gets a bridge contract. I am not as down on the goalies as most (hard to know what type of goalies you have behind the defense this year) but agree we need to bring in at least the one starter, preferably two and let our guys fix their issues in the minors for at least a year--if they can't be fixed, then they walk.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think you are too high on all of them...

Cizikas: $2.2M over 2 years. Clutterbuck's deal bought out UFA years. I think he is closer to Martin.
de Haan: $1.5M for 1 year or $12M over 5 years. No way has a half season earned him $3M per on a long deal.
Donovan: $1M for 1 year. Hasn't shown enough to earn more yet.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Doesn't Lee have another year to go on his deal?

Nope. Signed a two year ELC half way through last season. Since he played 9+ pro games last year, this season became the last year of his 2 year contract. We hold his rights but as I mentioned, he is 23 years old, physically mature, there is little doubt that Lee and his agent will be holding strong to a one way deal.

I agree with those saying he needs to get a look at some point this season. He has continued his scoring at the AHL level.

Post Olympics- If/when a Vanek trade goes down, I could see something like this.

Grabner- JT- Okposo
Bailey- Strome- McDonald
Lee- Nelson - Clutterbuck
Martin- Cizikas- Boulton

With the shortage of centers after Nielsen's injury, we could hold off on Nelson moving to the top line.

TANK CITY!

INJ- Nielsen (broken hand)

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Nope. Signed a two year ELC half way through last season. Since he played 9+ pro games last year, this season became the last year of his 2 year contract. We hold his rights but as I mentioned, he is 23 years old, physically mature, there is little doubt that Lee and his agent will be holding strong to a one way deal.

I agree with those saying he needs to get a look at some point this season. He has continued his scoring at the AHL level.

Post Olympics- If/when a Vanek trade goes down, I could see something like this.

Grabner- JT- Okposo
Bailey- Strome- McDonald
Martin- Cizikas- Boulton

With the shortage of centers after Nielsen's injury, we could hold off on Nelson moving to the top line.

TANK CITY!

INJ- Nielsen (broken hand)

Broken thumb, hang nail for Nielsen. I kid on the hang nail. :sarcasm:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Garth will have everyone signed for a savings. I don't know why that needs its own thread, but ok.

What does need its own thread is exactly why they are saving money, because it sure as hell isn't to spend on real help above and beyond the salary floor minimum.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
I'm as big of a deHAAN fan right now as there is, but I would never invest long term at this point. There really is no reason to extend him at that term given his body of work and past history.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
John Tavares is making 5.5 million until 2018-19. That is a GREAT deal with GREAT value. That is all.

Looking to speculate on RFA deals upcoming this offseason, not talking about the W-L record. Again, take it somewhere else to complain about Snow.

Snow's RFA signings are very hit or miss. JT, Frans, KO have great contracts. Grabner and Bailey have awful deals.

Anyways I'd like to see just about all of the RFAs re-signed. But I don't care if Nilsson/Poulin do or not. Poulin if he'll sign for cheap and a 1-2 year deal I'd take-but that's about it.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn

Grabner- JT- Okposo
Bailey- Strome- McDonald
Martin- Cizikas- Boulton

I won't put Colon McDonald on Bridgeport's 2nd line. I rather have one of the Swedes John Persson or Johan Sundstrom and see what they can or can't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad