WGR: Kevyn Adams has a low bar to clear for drafting

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Kevyn Adams has a low bar to clear for drafting
The Adams hiring has been criticized due to lack of experience, but when it comes to drafting, he couldn't do much worse than his predecessors. What the hockey department looks like surrounding him once the draft finally comes is very much up in the air, but it's not looking good for Adams getting much help.

The lottery is Friday night. I'll be disappointed if the Sabres don't get the #1 overall pick. I want to get my disappointment over with early rather than let it fester until the draft when the Sabres make actual picks.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Getting #2, #3 or #4 also good, we can take one of Stutzle, Byfield or Rossi.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Thankfully we didn't keep the one guy that has been a part of our drafting for over a decade...:sarcasm:

You wouldn't want to hold onto the guy so the new GM would look to him for guidance on decisions at the draft due to his experience.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
As long as they no-longer hold any strange avoidance of the CHL like Botterill did, they will improve.

Buuuuut. I want to be careful about saying stuff like that. They could come out with an even zanier theory as they "challenge each other with ideas" and draft nothing but goalies from eastern europe with last names that start between G and P

Reactions: struckbyaparkedcar

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
As long as they no-longer hold any strange avoidance of the CHL like Botterill did, they will improve.

Buuuuut. I want to be careful about saying stuff like that. They could come out with an even zanier theory as they "challenge each other with ideas" and draft nothing but goalies from eastern europe with last names that start between G and P
They'll be looking for authenticity when they interview prospects.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Will they be doing video interviews?

I bet Ralph will have a big role in those. Which isn't terrible. Can't be worse than GMs and scouts playing armchair psychologist

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Stutzle is a sicko...I would love a chance to draft that kid. He has moves like no one has ever seen before, and he’s just getting started.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

It wasn't really that strange nor did they dismiss the CHL. They actually encouraged two of their picks (Pekar/UPL) to go there instead of college and (as someone else pointed out) they took Cozens over a USA hockey and European options.

In mid/later rounds leaning towards college bound/European based kids gives the organization more time to let those picks develop before making a contract decision. CHL players only have 2 years to show what they can do. Its kind of unfair in a way to CHL kids.

That's not to say its a perfect way to go and doesn't have its issues. But there is sound logic to it.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
The problem is, once those usa players show something, they can put the nhl team over a barrel and walk for nothing (Peterson, vesey). Even mittelstadt may have leveraged himself into eating a year of his elc and gifting an nhl spot

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
The problem is, once those usa players show something, they can put the nhl team over a barrel and walk for nothing (Peterson, vesey). Even mittelstadt may have leveraged himself into eating a year of his elc and gifting an nhl spot

I don’t think it’s nearly the risk it seems. Most of the time the ones who go to UFA were late picks and surprises. Players that wouldn’t have been offered contracts in years prior.

Nine and a half times out of ten times, if you want a player under contract, they’ll sign. Even an ELC can set a person for life. Botterill clearly got played by Mittstadt. The NHL team has more leverage. They can turn a kid 18-22 into an instant rich person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad