Kevin Stevens' 1991-1992 Season and Peak

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary
I was looking back and Kevin Stevens had a pretty nice little peak. In particular, his 1991-1992 stats were pretty other-worldly:

2nd in goals (54)
7th in assists (69)
2nd in points (123)
18th in PIM (254! How is that 18th?)
2nd in playoff goals (13) and 2nd in playoff points (28)

Now I know he played with Mario, who led the league in points in the regular season and playoffs, and Jagr, who was coming into his own, on probably the best line in the league. But what a stat line. He also was 8th in Hart voting and 1st team all star.

His preceding season was also really good (40 goals, 86 points (just outside the top 20), 2nd all star team) as well as the following season (55 goals (8th), 111 pts (12th) in 72 games, 177 PIM, 2nd all star team).

His playoff totals over those 3 seasons are ridiculous-runs of 33, 28 and 16 points for 77 points in just 57 games en route to 2 cups.

For those who witnessed him play, how good was Stevens during this stretch? Was he the best/second best left winger in the game? Any comparable runs you can think of in terms of such high PIM totals and scoring finishes?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
imo, offensively he was the total package. of his generation, in terms of all-round offensive game, shooting, playmaking, hands in the slot, forechecking, board work and cycling, intimidation, clutchness, he was the best of his generation, better than neely (not in his league as a playmaker), shanahan (just as well-rounded but an A- to stevens' A in most categories), tkachuk (same as shanahan except much easier to get off his game), leclair (did not have the snarl) or anyone else.

but stevens was totally inept in his own end, which puts him well below shanahan, who was good, and leclair and neely who were above average. he is also below tkachuk who at least was good enough.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He also led the '91 playoffs in goals, and had the most ES goals in both Pens' Cup runs of the early '90s.

His stats from c.1990 to 1995 are so impressive it seems unreal compared to the rest of his career. You can see that when Mario was healthy in those seasons, Stevens puts up 55 goals, and when Mario was missing most of the season, he puts up 40 or 41. So, he was still getting it done without Mario, albeit not at as gaudy a level, statistically.

I suspect also that a Bowman-type coach was really important to Stevens, who, as we learned, had some off-ice issues and probably needed some discipline in his hockey life. When Eddie (let-them-play) Johnston takes over again as coach in 1993-94, the Pens still have a strong season, but Stevens suddenly goes from +17 to -24, worst on the club. (He also managed only two assists in the first six games, perhaps suggesting he wasn't in shape or ready to go off the top of the season.) Nothing wrong with his stats in the short '95 season (15 goals in 27 games), but after that season he was done with the Pens.

His short, sharp peak period is a bit Vincent Lecavalier-like.

As far as his playing style goes, he wasn't (to me) impressive to watch. Like, he seemed to chug along on the ice, find his way to the front of the net or the low-slot, and make good plays when the puck came to him. He seemed to move slowly and methodically, maybe like a Phil Esposito of old. Yet, you can't really argue with his results those four or five seasons.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I was looking back and Kevin Stevens had a pretty nice little peak. In particular, his 1991-1992 stats were pretty other-worldly:

2nd in goals (54)
7th in assists (69)
2nd in points (123)
18th in PIM (254! How is that 18th?)
2nd in playoff goals (13) and 2nd in playoff points (28)

Now I know he played with Mario, who led the league in points in the regular season and playoffs, and Jagr, who was coming into his own, on probably the best line in the league. But what a stat line. He also was 8th in Hart voting and 1st team all star.

His preceding season was also really good (40 goals, 86 points (just outside the top 20), 2nd all star team) as well as the following season (55 goals (8th), 111 pts (12th) in 72 games, 177 PIM, 2nd all star team).

His playoff totals over those 3 seasons are ridiculous-runs of 33, 28 and 16 points for 77 points in just 57 games en route to 2 cups.

For those who witnessed him play, how good was Stevens during this stretch? Was he the best/second best left winger in the game? Any comparable runs you can think of in terms of such high PIM totals and scoring finishes?

Closest player now would probably be Wayne Simmonds. Stevens was bigger, stronger, more ornery and probably a better raw talent. Both players don't do much defense. Maybe I should say Corey Perry instead of Simmonds. Closer in terms of talent. Perry's a better defensive player than Stevens was, though.

3 or 4 years there, Stevens (along with Neely) was the prototype power forward. Mario certainly helped his numbers, but he was not a product of Lemieux in the way that, say, Warren Young was. Kevin Stevens was an all-star in his own right. If he breaks into the NHL with the Whalers (or whoever), he still makes a name for himself.

Edit: He knocked himself out in a collision with Rich Pilon and fractured his face into pieces on the ice. Was never the same. In retrospect, he probably did some sort of serious neurological damage to himself, but nobody understood how serious TBIs were at that time, so everyone just figured his numbers declined because he was drinking too much.

From that point on, every once in a while there'd be a stretch where he'd look like the dominant player he had been, and you'd wonder if he was finally getting himself together, but it never lasted beyond a period or a game or w/e. He just didn't have the focus that he used to.

Last edited:

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
What's his background? Looks Italian but 'Kevin Stevens' doesn't exactly scream Italy. Irish?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Closest player now would probably be Wayne Simmonds. Stevens was bigger, stronger, more ornery and probably a better raw talent. Both players don't do much defense. Maybe I should say Corey Perry instead of Simmonds. Closer in terms of talent. Perry's a better defensive player than Stevens was, though.

3 or 4 years there, Stevens (along with Neely) was the prototype power forward. Mario certainly helped his numbers, but he was not a product of Lemieux in the way that, say, Warren Young was. Kevin Stevens was an all-star in his own right. If he breaks into the NHL with the Whalers (or whoever), he still makes a name for himself.

Edit: He knocked himself out in a collision with Rich Pilon and fractured his face into pieces on the ice. Was never the same. In retrospect, he probably did some sort of serious neurological damage to himself, but nobody understood how serious TBIs were at that time, so everyone just figured his numbers declined because he was drinking too much.

From that point on, every once in a while there'd be a stretch where he'd look like the dominant player he had been, and you'd wonder if he was finally getting himself together, but it never lasted beyond a period or a game or w/e. He just didn't have the focus that he used to.
I agree with you except on one point. People knew already how bad brain injuries could be, they just didn't really care all that much.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He knocked himself out in a collision with Rich Pilon and fractured his face into pieces on the ice. Was never the same.
I often hear this, and maybe it's true (it was a brutal collision), but he did still score 40+ goals the next year, mostly without Mario, and then as I mentioned had 15 goals in 27 games in the low-scoring '95 season, so he was still getting it done.

Reactions: Killion

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He was really something in his very short peak. Guys like Kevin Stevens and Rick Tocchet were the perfect linemates for a guy like Mario.

Reactions: billybudd

shills

Jul 17, 2018
Pittsburgh
Having watched him play in Muskegon and then with the Penguins ... I always thought he was a terrific power forward.

His battle with addiction after his injury in 1993 is well documented and definitely helped contribute to his short peak.

He's been very active around here recently, getting his story out to high school kids. The organization has had him at training camp. I'm really pulling for him.

For Kevin Stevens, every day is a fight to stay clean and tell his story

Penguins star Kevin Stevens's 25-year fight with addiction

Reactions: Tarantula

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
Look, I own around 40+ Games involving KEVEIN STEVENS out of the 400+ Games I have on VHS/DVD-r. And Lemme tell you this, Had KEVIN STEVENS not get into drugs during the 1992-93 Season he would DEF be in the HOF today & be recognized as 1 of the BEST Power Forwards of All Time. I know the”WOULDA/COULDA/SHOULDA” and I hate that but I mean his stats and games played are on those of a NEELY/FORSBERG etc.

KEVIN STEVENS was a BEAST And his Prime, It’s too bad Crack Cocaine became a problem because this guy was an absolutely treat 2 watch. Yes he played with Mario but how would MARIO get the puck had not STEVENS Hit a Guy and Dug the Puck outta the Corner. Thats the problem, I have a ton of MARIO games on tape and ALOT of guys who Dug the Puck outta the Corner and/or played a defensive role and help MARIO get the puck (Let’s face it he was most the time at (Center Ice/Blue Line) so these POWER FORWARD Players do NOT get the Credit they deserve.
It’s 2 bad he had Drug problems Plus Look at the 1993 PLAYOFFS, STEVENS was Knocked Out and Guess What WITHOUT him they LOSSED to the lowly NY Islanders in Game 7. What a Coincidence right? Lol. GREATY PLAYER. Bad Choices!!!

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Look, I own around 40+ Games involving KEVEIN STEVENS out of the 400+ Games I have on VHS/DVD-r. And Lemme tell you this, Had KEVIN STEVENS not get into drugs during the 1992-93 Season he would DEF be in the HOF today & be recognized as 1 of the BEST Power Forwards of All Time. I know the”WOULDA/COULDA/SHOULDA” and I hate that but I mean his stats and games played are on those of a NEELY/FORSBERG etc.

KEVIN STEVENS was a BEAST And his Prime, It’s too bad Crack Cocaine became a problem because this guy was an absolutely treat 2 watch. Yes he played with Mario but how would MARIO get the puck had not STEVENS Hit a Guy and Dug the Puck outta the Corner. Thats the problem, I have a ton of MARIO games on tape and ALOT of guys who Dug the Puck outta the Corner and/or played a defensive role and help MARIO get the puck (Let’s face it he was most the time at (Center Ice/Blue Line) so these POWER FORWARD Players do NOT get the Credit they deserve.
It’s 2 bad he had Drug problems Plus Look at the 1993 PLAYOFFS, STEVENS was Knocked Out and Guess What WITHOUT him they LOSSED to the lowly NY Islanders in Game 7. What a Coincidence right? Lol. GREATY PLAYER. Bad Choices!!!

in that vein, i felt like tocchet was the perfect player for mario. did all sorts of dirty work in all three zones. stevens was a monster in the corners, but couldn't play a lick of d. tocchet did heavy defensive lifting for both stevens and mario, while also doubling up on the corner and board work that stevens provided to make that line practically unstoppable.

tocchet was a special player, one of the more versatile wingers of all time. talented enough to score 40 goals and 90 points basically on his own to lead a garbage team, but just a smart smart hockey mind and feverishly hard worker. anyone can play with mario because mario is so good, but how many players can actually help mario? kevin stevens is one, gretzky was another, paul coffey, you probably could say jagr and francis and larry murphy on the PP, and rick tocchet. smart enough to both complement mario and be a game changing third line grinder on the '87 canada cup team (my favourite player on that team).

i mean, the pens gave up peak mark recchi AND paul coffey (i.e., the 12th and 13th highest scorers of all time) to get him and came out better for it. but that's also a testament to kevin stevens hitting his stride that allowed them to give up that much offense.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
in that vein, i felt like tocchet was the perfect player for mario. did all sorts of dirty work in all three zones. stevens was a monster in the corners, but couldn't play a lick of d. tocchet did heavy defensive lifting for both stevens and mario, while also doubling up on the corner and board work that stevens provided to make that line practically unstoppable.

tocchet was a special player, one of the more versatile wingers of all time. talented enough to score 40 goals and 90 points basically on his own to lead a garbage team, but just a smart smart hockey mind and feverishly hard worker. anyone can play with mario because mario is so good, but how many players can actually help mario? kevin stevens is one, gretzky was another, paul coffey, you probably could say jagr and francis and larry murphy on the PP, and rick tocchet. smart enough to both complement mario and be a game changing third line grinder on the '87 canada cup team (my favourite player on that team).

i mean, the pens gave up peak mark recchi AND paul coffey (i.e., the 12th and 13th highest scorers of all time) to get him and came out better for it. but that's also a testament to kevin stevens hitting his stride that allowed them to give up that much offense.

I agree with on Tocchet as well, It didn’t hurt the PENGUINS in having Both KEVIN STEVENS and RICK TOCCHET, Hell Tocchet had almost a 1000 Points in his Career and he was always playing a more defence type game 75% of the time, Can you imagine if he said forget it, “‘l’ll go all offence”, Plus he was close to 50 Goals nabbing (48). I love TOCCHET, He is one of the NHL’s Most Underrated Players Ever!!!

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Visibly, he was not the same player. Sportsnet reported that he had permanent damage to his frontal lobe.

I am really impressed by the number of informative and thoughtful recollections of a player from a team (the Pens) that I followed as closely as any rabid fan from '83 thru '92. Got to see the Pens live or on TV as much as anyone, but my memory is not as sharp and concise as the above posters. Bravo. I have nothing to add about Stevens' play.

I might offer this comment, however, as insight to his later self-destructive behavior:

Frontal lobe injuries are poorly understood and unappreciated by most of us. Patients with frontal lobe injuries appear absolutely normal; however, they are true "walking wounded." Even subtle damage to the frontal lobe can have potentially devastating and long-term consequences. The frontal lobe controls our judgement and self-control.

Frontal lobe injury - Wikipedia

Following a frontal lobe injury, an individual’s abilities to make good choices and recognize consequences are often impaired.

Very sad, indeed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad