Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Leaf fan coming in peace.
What is happening with this guy?
While in St. L he wasnt a defensive stalwart or anything but he always looked pretty decent/above average in his own zone. From what ive been seeing posted other places he kind of took a nose dive this year. This just being overblown by over reactionary fans or something you guys are worried about?
He was on a good team where he could be played to his strengths, and the results were excellent. He came to a team about to bottom out, and because he's not an all-around #1D, his flaws have been (over) exposed.

Also, he suffered a bad injury last year, tried to come back too soon, and it's not clear whether he's 100% again yet.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Leaf fan coming in peace.
What is happening with this guy?
While in St. L he wasnt a defensive stalwart or anything but he always looked pretty decent/above average in his own zone. From what ive been seeing posted other places he kind of took a nose dive this year. This just being overblown by over reactionary fans or something you guys are worried about?

If anything, he hasn't put up points, and that's a little disappointing.

I think his defense has pretty much been par for the course.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If anything, he hasn't put up points, and that's a little disappointing.

I think his defense has pretty much been par for the course.
Why is Pionk getting all the PP time the past few games and Shatty not being played to his strength?

Just legit curious. Is Shatty really in the coaches doghouse so despite usually being good on the PP, he won't reward him with PP time? or is he playing real bad even on the PP?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why is Pionk getting all the PP time the past few games and Shatty not being played to his strength?

Just legit curious. Is Shatty really in the coaches doghouse so despite usually being good on the PP, he won't reward him with PP time? or is he playing real bad even on the PP?

Maybe it's more a reward for Pionk than it is a punishment for Shatty. This was the first game where Pionk got significantly more PP time and, after last night, Pionk has 5 PP assists in the last 3 games.

Maybe Quinn is just playing the hot hand.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Latka has 4 hits through 8 games.
How can you play defense when you literally never put a single hand on the opposition?
This bum is worthless and a rookie took over his spot.
Latka GTFO>>>>

Reactions: GodlyRangers

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I love how we're still counting hits but analytics are irrelevant.

Dude, if you tell me being that physical on the back end is irrelevant to playing defense just because it doesn't show up on the score board, I'm gonna consider you to be on a whole new level of dumb

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dude, if you tell me being that physical on the back end is irrelevant to playing defense just because it doesn't show up on the score board, I'm gonna consider you to be on a whole new level of dumb

Nick Lidstrom, Brian Leetch, Duncan Keith, Chris Tanev, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Hampus Lindholm, Dmitri Orlov, Matthias Ekholm, Ryan Suter.

There are some great defensive players who are physical. There are also great defensive players who aren't physical at all.

Not to mention "hits" are pretty much the most inaccurate stat there is, but that's a different story.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Pionk was a magician on the PP last night... Kirk should be worried

Pionk will never have the innate and elite ability he has to get pucks through and on goal from the point and that will limit him as a point producer but he's looked pretty good as PPQB1. The play where sucked in Barkov and sort of danced him at the line made it a 4v3 and allowed Zibby to step into that wrister and find a lane.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Nick Lidstrom, Brian Leetch, Duncan Keith, Chris Tanev, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Hampus Lindholm, Dmitri Orlov, Matthias Ekholm, Ryan Suter.

There are some great defensive players who are physical. There are also great defensive players who aren't physical at all.

Not to mention "hits" are pretty much the most inaccurate stat there is, but that's a different story.

All those players did whatever they had to do in order to keep the play going the other way.
If they had to help clear the crease, they most certainly did.
You think Leetch never got physical?
He had one of the best hip checks in the game when he used it.

Some of those players were a huge part in winning championships while Latka is the very reason you won't even win a playoff round.

Get rid of this 3rd pairing clown already..He's stinking up the place..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All those players did whatever they had to do in order to keep the play going the other way.
If they had to help clear the crease, they most certainly did.
You think Leetch never got physical?
He had one of the best hip checks in the game when he used it.

Some of those players were a huge part in winning championships while Latka is the very reason you won't even win a playoff round.

Get rid of this 3rd pairing clown already..He's stinking up the place..
Forget the analytics for a minute.

Somebody tell me what he's done wrong defensively since the Carolina game. Somebody point out a specific mistake he's made since then.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Forget the analytics for a minute.

Somebody tell me what he's done wrong defensively since the Carolina game. Somebody point out a specific mistake he's made since then.

He's just not engaging, he's just there and he's being paid to lead this defense, not get punked out by a kid from Hartford

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So that's a no?

If we leave everything else aside..He's still getting completely outplayed by a rookie.
Shit.. I'd even play ADA over him and he's a scratch.
If that's not enough then I guess this convo is over.
I don't know what you see in this guy that the rest of the world doesn't.
He's a $6+M DUD.
#Craziness

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we leave everything else aside..He's still getting completely outplayed by a rookie.
He's a $6+M DUD.
#Craziness

You obviously can't answer the question I asked.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
****.. I'd even play ADA over him and he's a scratch.
He's a $6+M DUD.
#Craziness
What's he doing wrong? What if the rookie is being rewarded with 3xtra time bc developing youth is the goal more so than playing the vet more in this case? What if it's temporary just to see how the kid handles additional responsibilities? Also I would love to hear what specifically shattenkirk is doing wrong on the ice

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You obviously can't answer the question I asked.

I did but you chose to ignore it.

"He's just not engaging, he's just there "

You can bring up a kid from Hartford to easily replace #22's role on this team.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What's he doing wrong? What if the rookie is being rewarded with 3xtra time bc developing youth is the goal more so than playing the vet more in this case? What if it's temporary just to see how the kid handles additional responsibilities? Also I would love to hear what specifically shattenkirk is doing wrong on the ice

What if, what if... Yeah, No lol.

All the other vets are still playing their roles.
Even Staal..

If you think he's playing like a $6M defenseman, we have nothing else to discuss..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I did but you chose to ignore it.

"He's just not engaging, he's just there "

You can bring up a kid from Hartford to easily replace #22's role on this team.

That's just saying things. Point to something specific.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Kris Russell leads the league in hits each year, but nobody considers him a good D-man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad