Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Sometimes I think to myself that people aren't shrugging off advanced stats as much as they used to. Then I see someone claim that Shattenkirk is bad at defense because of his +/-.

Keep in mind that Brady Skjei had the 6th worst +/- for d-men this year. Guess he sucks at defense.

giphy.gif

Lol relax a bit of a hyperbole. Wasn't saying or claiming he's bad at defense because of plus/minus. But was refuting Machinehead's simple reply of give up fewer shots and goals and you're better at defense. When he had more goals allowed then his teammates.

But I'm assuming that's what those two have been fighting about so my fault for butting in on that

+/- isn't accurate

I'm with you. But even when you dig deeper on Even strength Shattenkirk wasn't all that impressive with St Louis getting favorable Ozone starts and was still giving up more than his counterparts

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lol relax a bit of a hyperbole. Wasn't saying or claiming he's bad at defense because of plus/minus. But was refuting Machinehead's simple reply of give up fewer shots and goals and you're better at defense. When he had more goals allowed then his teammates.

But I'm assuming that's what those two have been fighting about so my fault for butting in on that

I'm with you. But even when you dig deeper on Even strength Shattenkirk wasn't all that impressive with St Louis getting favorable Ozone starts and was still giving up more than his counterparts
Since Shattenkirk came into the league, he has a negative rate of goals against relative to team.

So no, he gives up less than his peers.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Sometimes I think to myself that people aren't shrugging off advanced stats as much as they used to. Then I see someone claim that Shattenkirk is bad at defense because of his +/-.

Keep in mind that Brady Skjei had the 6th worst +/- for d-men this year. Guess he sucks at defense.

giphy.gif

I personally never have and still don't shrug them off, but I also think many of the publicly available ones that people are heavily bought into aren't nearly as descriptive or predictive as many believe they are. I also think there is a general ignorance of the underlying mathematics among many here that leads them to definitively conclude things because numbers.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
It's called Reproducibility folks!

While not all AS are complete nonsense, I still think you should just watch the game, use your brain and form your own damn evaluation ;)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's called Reproducibility folks!

While not all AS are complete nonsense, I still think you should just watch the game, use your brain and form your own damn evaluation ;)
Thanks! Maybe I'll try that sometime!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

giphy.gif
Well, I'm not one of those people. Shattenkirk sucks at defense because he's constantly owned on the outside, doesn't impress with his stick, doesn't throw a body check much and is so bad at tying up his forward in front of the net, you'd almost think he's barely trying at times.

But if his line can keep the opposition outside of the defensive zone, his skating, puck skills and positioning are very good qualities at keeping them out of there, especially if he can hold the blueline, but also somewhat in the neutral zone. He might play sheltered minutes, but he's really good at giving quality to those sheltered minutes. I would say he's a world class complementary player, an elite second punch that you still can't rely on to be a franchise player. He's too specific in his role to the game.

His +/- says diddly squat. He played sheltered minutes, remember? Also, he played defense under Vigneault. It will be a mystery knowing how Shattenkirk will play under the next mr. X.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
In Shattenkirk's 8 NHL seasons, he's been positive relative to the team in 5v5 GF% 5 times, and negative 3 times. Including playing last season with a busted knee.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
In Shattenkirk's 8 NHL seasons, he's been positive relative to the team in 5v5 GF% 5 times, and negative 3 times. Including playing last season with a busted knee.

If all that mumbo jumbo means he sucks defensively, you may be onto something lol

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm just being a wiseass but c'mon man. How can you possibly call this guy a good defender?
He's horrible going backwards.

Having the puck on your stick and skating it out of the d-zone is also called defending. If you have it then your opposition doesn't.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Having the puck on your stick and skating it out of the d-zone is also called defending. If you have it then your opposition doesn't.

No..Once you have possession and you're on the attack it's called offense and as far as his offense goes, it's great!
But you still have to be able to defend.
Just because you excel at one does not mean you dismiss the other.

That's like saying I'll let you punch me in the face 5 times if I can punch yours once lol

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
This makes no sense what so ever

It makes a whole lot more sense than the way stat people view defense.
I get the whole concept and in theory all seems fine but in reality it's very far fetched.
You have to find that happy medium and that can't happen until you actually watch what's going on and use your big brain IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad