Value of: Kevin Shattenkirk as a UFA

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I feel like he could easily beat both of those guys out. But actually yeah you're right he might not fit in the top 9

And even if he does beat them out, still no guarantee of playing time.

Schwartz-Stee-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Perron
Berglund-Lehtera-XXX

XXX was slated to be Sobotka, but he is up in the air now. Blandisi is on a similar level to Jaskin at this point. He could play on the 3rd line or he could flop.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
I'd love him in TO, but the minute we sign him to this....he becomes Phaneuf 2.0.

Well......that would be more of an indictment of the way the team is around him then . Not him ! Because, he's been pretty good since, the Blues got him from, Colorado . But with that being said, i doubt he turns into Phanuef 2.0 . Seeing as how the Leafs do have Babcock as the coach .

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
We should be all in for him (NYR). I'm thinking Gorton's conservative style this offseason is for retooling and be ready to make a big offer for him next summer. And I'd happy with it, we need a decent puck mover on the right side more than anything, and he's among the best and a Rangers fan so we can't lose this opportunity.
He'll be 28 so something around 8 years, 6.5 millions would be a good fit for both sides.

Unless you trade for him before the trade deadline, you can only offer him a 7 year deal.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
And even if he does beat them out, still no guarantee of playing time.

Schwartz-Stee-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Perron
Berglund-Lehtera-XXX

XXX was slated to be Sobotka, but he is up in the air now. Blandisi is on a similar level to Jaskin at this point. He could play on the 3rd line or he could flop.

How sure are you about Perron?? He sucked in Pitt but played great in Anaheim.
I'm one who believes hes gonna be great for the Blues again, but im just saying its not definite that hes gonna produce

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
What is the incentive for any player to want to sign with the Rangers right now? I'd say of all 30 teams in the league, the NYR rank between 25-30 in terms of closest to winning the Stanley Cup. They missed their chance. They had one of the worst defense core in the league and they just lost Yandle.
The rangers are close to the cap so wont be able to offer too big of a contract without dismantling some part of their team.

But if the player doesn't care about winning - I guess playing at Madison Square Garden in front of a large fan base and playing for an original six team is pretty special.

But again, there is no future for the NYR rn.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How sure are you about Perron?? He sucked in Pitt but played great in Anaheim.
I'm one who believes hes gonna be great for the Blues again, but im just saying its not definite that hes gonna produce

Worst-case, he replaces Brouwer. He's an inconsistent middle 6 producer that can score 40-55 points.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
NJ seems like an obvious fit. Rangers could probably figure out a way to fit him in by next year. Isles D is locked in as of now.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We should be all in for him (NYR). I'm thinking Gorton's conservative style this offseason is for retooling and be ready to make a big offer for him next summer. And I'd happy with it, we need a decent puck mover on the right side more than anything, and he's among the best and a Rangers fan so we can't lose this opportunity.
He'll be 28 so something around 8 years, 6.5 millions would be a good fit for both sides.

Better get him now while you still can. If he is traded this offseason it will likely be to a team that has an agreed upon extension in place for him as a condition of the trade. IF he gets moved, it is probably >90% that he won't hit UFA next offseason.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
NJ seems like an obvious fit. Rangers could probably figure out a way to fit him in by next year. Isles D is locked in as of now.

The bolded is absolutely true, but the asset we would be looking for in return (Zacha) isn't likely to be available, and I don't see anything else that NJD would part with that would be fair value for an extended Shattenkirk. They are NOT trading for him as a rental.

The Blues will be looking for a young Top 6 forward (Hall, Henrique) or a near NHL-ready C prospect with top line potential as the cornerstone of any deal. Will they get it? Time will tell. If the best deal to be made is a protected 1st and a young player similar to what we already have in our system then he'll likely stay with the Blues and we'll see what happens.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
With Shattenkirk hinting that he wants to sign with a team in the Northeast coast, that pretty much leaves these teams as his options.

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Boston Bruins
Philadelphia Flyers

Where will he most likely sign, for how much, and is it for sure going to be one of these teams?

NYR and NYI seem to be on a decline.
BOS seems to just be floating around.
NJD and PHI are on the upswing - these two teams make the most sense for Shattenkirk IMO.

Isles just made the 2nd round for the first time in 23 years and they seem to be on the decline?

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Isles just made the 2nd round for the first time in 23 years and they seem to be on the decline?

Yes. They are on the decline.

Okposo was replaced with Ladd. Okposo > Ladd.
1/3 of the amazing fourth line is gone.
Frans Nielsen is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. Now he's gone.

Barzal is the only hope. Future does not look bright on Long Island. (Or Brooklyn I should say) Even if Barzal does pan out, the Islanders just aren't good enough to compete for the cup and it they don't have much help on the way.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The bolded is absolutely true, but the asset we would be looking for in return (Zacha) isn't likely to be available, and I don't see anything else that NJD would part with that would be fair value for an extended Shattenkirk. They are NOT trading for him as a rental.

The Blues will be looking for a young Top 6 forward (Hall, Henrique) or a near NHL-ready C prospect with top line potential as the cornerstone of any deal. Will they get it? Time will tell. If the best deal to be made is a protected 1st and a young player similar to what we already have in our system then he'll likely stay with the Blues and we'll see what happens.

No GM will give Armstrong anything like that.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
Yes. They are on the decline.

Okposo was replaced with Ladd. Okposo > Ladd.
1/3 of the amazing fourth line is gone.
Frans Nielsen is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. Now he's gone.

Barzal is the only hope. Future does not look bright on Long Island. (Or Brooklyn I should say) Even if Barzal does pan out, the Islanders just aren't good enough to compete for the cup and it they don't have much help on the way.

So much is wrong with this post it is incredible!! The Islanders have one of the top 10 prospect pools in hockey with Barzal, Dal Colle, Bellows, Sorokin etc. as well as one of the premiere players in Tavares, yet they are on the decline with little help on the way, but teams like NJ and Philly are clearly future Stanley Cup contenders?? I wonder which team you root for?? Philly?? NJ??

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If St. Louis is looking more for a Larsson-type deal for a higher-profile forward, then New Jersey obviously has nothing even close to expendable to offer. If that's the ask, we'll just wait and cross our fingers he hits free agency.

If STL wants more of a "good prospect+good pick" return, I'd offer John Quenneville + our 2017 1st, top-5 protected. Quenneville is coming off a very strong season in Brandon, and many Devils fans deem him the next Henrique. They're very, very similar in play and development.

If that's not 'rich' enough for the Blues, so be it. We don't have much more to offer.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
So much is wrong with this post it is incredible!! The Islanders have one of the top 10 prospect pools in hockey with Barzal, Dal Colle, Bellows, Sorokin etc. as well as one of the premiere players in Tavares, yet they are on the decline with little help on the way, but teams like NJ and Philly are clearly future Stanley Cup contenders?? I wonder which team you root for?? Philly?? NJ??

Totally agree. NYI only decline if Tavares suffers injury or some other setback. Okposo's departure will be less of a problem than many think.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
With Shattenkirk hinting that he wants to sign with a team in the Northeast coast, that pretty much leaves these teams as his options.

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Boston Bruins
Philadelphia Flyers

Where will he most likely sign, for how much, and is it for sure going to be one of these teams?

NYR and NYI seem to be on a decline.
BOS seems to just be floating around.
NJD and PHI are on the upswing - these two teams make the most sense for Shattenkirk IMO.

While we can assume the premise is mostly true, if he just wants to get back in the area, any of these, esp, the Isles are a best fit [thought I heard he was from Rockville Centre area growing up]. However, if he wants to be THE guy on THE stage, whether for ego or stature, then NYR makes most sense.

The expansion draft is an x factor throwing a monkey wrench in things. Sign Shatty long term, and he has to be protected for that draft. However, if he signs a 1 yr deal, and is UFA when that draft happens, then he does not have to be protected/cannot be selected. That is a trust factor, but if he sees we move higher salaries in Nash, Stepan, and even to lesser extent Zuc, Brassard, he will see we will be creating $ to give him primo ducats on a successor deal.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

So you truly believe that the Islanders have a better chance at winning the Stanley Cup in the next 3-7 years than the Flyers and Devils do?

Tavares is the ONLY reason the Islanders have made the playoffs in recent years. I think Tavares is a clear cut top 5 player in the NHL, and the Islanders have won ONE playoff series in 6 years with him on the team. That's a big problem.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
So you truly believe that the Islanders have a better chance at winning the Stanley Cup in the next 3-7 years than the Flyers and Devils do?

Tavares is the ONLY reason the Islanders have made the playoffs in recent years. I think Tavares is a clear cut top 5 player in the NHL, and the Islanders have won ONE playoff series in 6 years with him on the team. That's a big problem.

Yes. Without question!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad