Feb 27, 2008
Last 5 goalie draft picks:

Reidler: 6'6
Merilainen: 6'2
Soogard: 6'7
Mandolese: 6'4
Hollet: 6'5

Seems unusually tall...
I honestly don't think there are any goalies under 6'2 anymore. at least doesn't seem that way. Every goalie nowadays is massive.

Reactions: The Expert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I honestly don't think there are any goalies under 6'2 anymore. at least doesn't seem that way. Every goalie nowadays is massive.
As of 2019, 6'2-6'3 was the average height of an NHL starter.

guys under 6'2 were DeSmith, Huttonn, Howard, Lundqvist, Gibson, so not a lot and getting less. Lots of guys right at 6'2 though.

I read a while ago that modern goalie coaches and scouts suggest 6'4 as the ideal goalie height, not so tall that it opens up the 5 hole, but big enough that it covers the top of the net while in the butterfly.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t know the player. But in general I’d say it’s not smart to zone in on extra tall goaltenders. For a long term solid career in nets I’d say somewhere between 6’0 and 6’4” is ideal.
But in Sogaards case it’s looking good. And this guy might be great too. Just..as a general goalie rule..I’d say average height is best.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
As of 2019, 6'2-6'3 was the average height of an NHL starter.

guys under 6'2 were DeSmith, Huttonn, Howard, Lundqvist, Gibson, so not a lot and getting less. Lots of guys right at 6'2 though.

I read a while ago that modern goalie coaches and scouts suggest 6'4 as the ideal goalie height, not so tall that it opens up the 5 hole, but big enough that it covers the top of the net while in the butterfly.
Ya I don't think we will ever see a goalie on the smaller side ever again. It's like size used to be so important upfront and on D, now it's a little less important with the rules shifting. With all the high flying skill and everyone being able to really shoot the puck it has created this need for massive goalies. By 2030 guys who can't make the NBA will just pivot to playing goalie lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya I don't think we will ever see a goalie on the smaller side ever again. It's like size used to be so important upfront and on D, now it's a little less important with the rules shifting. With all the high flying skill and everyone being able to really shoot the puck it has created this need for massive goalies. By 2030 guys who can't make the NBA will just pivot to playing goalie lol.
I mean, if Manute Bol did it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad