Kevin Musto's 2021 NHL Draft Ranking - Top 32

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
That doesn't mean everyone thinks he is the best player in the draft. He's pretty much a lock for 1st, yes, but in the eyes of some scouts, he is not the best player in the draft. This is not a prediction to where Power will go. This is OPs opinion on how the players should be ranked. If he did a mock draft, I am quite confident that he would have Buffalo picking Power #1, because that's what is likely to happen, even if he doesn't necessarily agree with it. I know I don't think Power is #1 in the draft, and I certainly wouldn't select him 1st if I had the 1st pick, but if I was to do a mock draft, I would have Power going 1st without thinking twice. There's a difference between personal ranking and mock draft, and not everything should align perfectly with the consensus.
Perfect. Thank you very much!

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
That doesn't mean everyone thinks he is the best player in the draft. He's pretty much a lock for 1st, yes, but in the eyes of some scouts, he is not the best player in the draft. This is not a prediction to where Power will go. This is OPs opinion on how the players should be ranked. If he did a mock draft, I am quite confident that he would have Buffalo picking Power #1, because that's what is likely to happen, even if he doesn't necessarily agree with it. I know I don't think Power is #1 in the draft, and I certainly wouldn't select him 1st if I had the 1st pick, but if I was to do a mock draft, I would have Power going 1st without thinking twice. There's a difference between personal ranking and mock draft, and not everything should align perfectly with the consensus.
Personally and predictably Power goes 1 not even close.Different doesn't
mean right.I do appreciate the effort and write up however.

Reactions: BondraTime

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Power will be taken first but in a redraft i hope you are right about Eklund.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I agree with the rankings, although after the WC he just had, i’d move Power up the rankings.

That being said, I agree that Eklund is the best player on the board.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sure! It's a common misconception I see a lot on these boards. I wish there was something stickied to the front of the forum explaining the difference between mock draft and personal rankings, as both are definitely different but get confused a lot.
What bothers me is when someone does a "mock", but hasn't spend the time to investigate what each individual teams needs are. If you haven't, you aren't doing a mock, but merely a personal ranking.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
As much as I appreciate your picks and know that you pick them based on where they will play in the NHL vs where they should get drafted. I would prefer:

Tier 1-High Upside
Powers
Edvinsson
Wallstedt
Hughes
Eklund
Beniers
Cossa
Lysell

Tier 2-Safe Bets
McTavish
Clarke
Guenther
Johnson
Lucius
Sillinger

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Thank you for your breakdown and analysis. I do have a question.

You have Kirsanov ranked much higher than anyone else I’ve seen. I’d only ever seen his name in passing and usually much lower…like in the 60’s or 70’s lower. I realize evaluation is subjective and I like seeing well thought out rankings that aren’t just a rehash or slight reshuffling of others. As a former defensive defenceman, I can soundly get behind the value of a D like Kirsanov…they’re not sexy or glamourous but they are such key parts of the team and difficult to acquire, draft aside.

To the question, where do you see him going in the draft? Based on other rankings I’ve seen, I’d love for him to be there for the Canucks in Round 2 but I’m not sure he’ll drop that far.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Thank you for your breakdown and analysis. I do have a question.

You have Kirsanov ranked much higher than anyone else I’ve seen. I’d only ever seen his name in passing and usually much lower…like in the 60’s or 70’s lower. I realize evaluation is subjective and I like seeing well thought out rankings that aren’t just a rehash or slight reshuffling of others. As a former defensive defenceman, I can soundly get behind the value of a D like Kirsanov…they’re not sexy or glamourous but they are such key parts of the team and difficult to acquire, draft aside.

To the question, where do you see him going in the draft? Based on other rankings I’ve seen, I’d love for him to be there for the Canucks in Round 2 but I’m not sure he’ll drop that far.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Thanks.

I think whichever team drafts him is going to be thrilled, and fans will appreciate him once they see how good he is.

I think it's fair to say he'll be a 2nd round pick. All I really have to go off of is Bob McKenzie's list. According to that he could even go early 3rd round, but I'm hopeful a team will be really high on him and snag him in the 2nd.

Reactions: Kearns and Realgud

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
It is nice to see Fyodor Svechkov move up in the rankings, I have seen him higher, but I wonder to myself, how much the Russian factor plays in the rankings in general.

Along with this I wonder why, Russian hockey players seem to be pushed so low, so many times. It pretty much seems they have to be exceptional to out rank a Swedish or Finish hockey player let alone North Americans, and considering the amount of skaters per country, the numbers do not add up.

Just thought I would ask someone in the thick of it. Any comments?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
With the recent news about Logan Mailloux, I've updated this to remove him from my honourable mentions list.

Sean Tschigerl now has a spot on that list, in place of Mailloux.

Reactions: JAVO16

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1