Kevin Musto's 2019 NHL Draft Ranking - Top 62

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Cool list. You will obviously be completely off the real draft, but that is not to say your ranking will not prove itself with time.

I share your views on M. Robertson and Spiridonov. Especially Spiridonov I think could drop far and become a very interesting pick for someone.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
"TPS, Liiga
[6’2”. 190lbs. Born on February 13, 2001.]

With a stellar rookie season in the top Finnish league, Kakko has drawn a lot of attention. He’s already got the big, NHL-ready frame and the tools to accompany it. One of Kakko’s best strengths is that he’s so hard to knock off the puck. He protects that thing at all costs and he can dangle his way out of any tight situation. Kakko’s style is very reminiscent of Brandon Saad, but with more finesse."

If there's one thing in many of the scouting reports I don't understand is this. We just saw a very recent photo of the kid on a golf course and what was there and what particularly caught the eye, was a thin pair of legs. Not even close to what most of the seasoned NHL veterans do have and which normally is a result of a long and hard work at the gym (or in some case a genetic anomaly). The pictures I've seen of his arms don't really impress me either. He doesn't have all that much muscle on them yet. Now since all the hockey players focus on the lower body strength probably as much if not even more than the upper body strength, I would assume the rest of his frame is in the WIP state (not just the legs and the arms but upper body in general). I've followed him all through the year and It's Kakko's unordinary balance, edges and agility (along with his skill set of course) are what really sets him apart from his peers and makes him more ready than any other prospect in the draft. This may be a bit deceiving as far as his overall strength goes. He's got good weight as well, but big NHL-ready frame? Don't think so. At best I would say decent to average. That's one aspect he's got to work for, just like any other 2019 draftee. Weighting around ~190 lbs today I would imagine Kakko breaching 200 lbs rather soon and settling down anywhere between 210-220 lbs once all is said and done.

Talking about big bodied NHL ready frames and draftees, Ovechkin fits the bill and probably sets up a benchmark. Even Barkov's lower body was like built like an ox in his respective draft year. Maybe (or more likely probably) Lindros? That was so long ago I barely remember. Of course there's always exceptions, but I wouldn't include Kakko on this list.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
"TPS, Liiga
[6’2”. 190lbs. Born on February 13, 2001.]

With a stellar rookie season in the top Finnish league, Kakko has drawn a lot of attention. He’s already got the big, NHL-ready frame and the tools to accompany it. One of Kakko’s best strengths is that he’s so hard to knock off the puck. He protects that thing at all costs and he can dangle his way out of any tight situation. Kakko’s style is very reminiscent of Brandon Saad, but with more finesse."

If there's one thing in many of the scouting reports I don't understand is this. We just saw a very recent photo of the kid on a golf course and what was there and what particularly caught the eye, was a thin pair of legs. Not even close to what most of the seasoned NHL veterans do have and which normally is a result of a long and hard work at the gym (or in some case a genetic anomaly). The pictures I've seen of his arms don't really impress me either. He doesn't have all that much muscle on them yet. Now since all the hockey players focus on the lower body strength probably as much if not even more than the upper body strength, I would assume the rest of his frame is in the WIP state (not just the legs and the arms but upper body in general). I've followed him all through the year and It's Kakko's unordinary balance, edges and agility (along with his skill set of course) are what really sets him apart from his peers and makes him more ready than any other prospect in the draft. This may be a bit deceiving as far as his overall strength goes. He's got good weight as well, but big NHL-ready frame? Don't think so. At best I would say decent to average. That's one aspect he's got to work for, just like any other 2019 draftee. Weighting around ~190 lbs today I would imagine Kakko breaching 200 lbs rather soon and settling down anywhere between 210-220 lbs once all is said and done.

Talking about big bodied NHL ready frames and draftees, Ovechkin fits the bill and probably sets up a benchmark. Even Barkov's lower body was like built like an ox in his respective draft year. Maybe (or more likely probably) Lindros? That was so long ago I barely remember. Of course there's always exceptions, but I wouldn't include Kakko on this list.
If that's your concern, look at a picture of Malkin's legs.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If that's your concern, look at a picture of Malkin's legs.

It's not a concern, just something I've wondered. And of course I understand that most scouting profiles about prospects usually focus on the aspects that they're good at as opposed to bringing up negative traits/weaknesses. Just feel that some get often a bit exaggerated which may then lead fans to thinking a prospect has almost already reached the peak of some certain area.

Yet like I said I've read similar observation many times over, so I'm not here judging you for writing that piece or saying it's completely off the tracks.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Thoughts on round 1

1. No surprise.
2. No surprise.
3. Dach is my guy that I wanted and Stan Bowman delivered. Thank you, Stan.
4. Byram is a great add for the Avs. He'll look real nice with Makar.
5. Can't go wrong with Turcotte. Kopitar will be a great mentor for him.
6. The Seider pick caused quite the shake up. I like him, but not enough to pick him at 6. I think he becomes a good NHLer, but living up to the status of 6th overall? I don't see it happening.
7. I don't like Cozens very much. He will not live up to the status of being a top 10 pick.
8. Drafting Broberg at 8 is a joke. Bouchard last year was a bad pick too. Edmonton needs to fire their scouting staff.
9. I'm not crazy about Zegras, but Anaheim is exactly where I expected him to land.
10. Don't like the Podkolzin pick this high. I think they had better options to choose from.
11. Of course Chayka had to do something stupid. Last year it was Hayton and this year he trades up for a guy that he didn't need to trade up for. Soderstrom is fine. He's a safe pick, but the upside is not very high. He won't be a top pairing defender in the NHL.
12. I like Boldy and at 12 you can't complain. I've likened him to Parise so Minnesota is a good team for him.
13. I just don't like drafting goalies so high. Unless he's pans out as a franchise goalie, this pick ends up being abysmal. Too risky for me.
14. I had Cam York ranked at 14 so I think it's a good spot for him to go.
15. Can't believe Caufield fell this far. Teams are still apparently hung up over size. Good for Montreal. That's a steal.
16. Exiting the 1st round with Byram and Newhook is fantastic. Avs killed it.
17. Krebs fell this far cause teams were afraid of his injury. Hope he makes them regret it.
18. Don't like the Thomas Harley pick. Defenders should play defense first and foremost, but Harley is only interested in being the 4th forward on the ice.
19. Not a good pick for Ottawa. Similar reasons to Harley.
20. Another bad pick. I foresee Heinola having a tough time adapting to the NHL.
21. Can't argue with this pick. Poulin is very projectable. He plays a heavy power forward game like Brandon Saad. Easy to imagine him playing in the league.
22. Love the Bjornfot pick. With Turcotte and Bjornfot, Kings fans should be quite pleased.
23. Holmstrom is too much of gamble for me. If they're confident in it, fine. But I wouldn't have made the pick myself. The injuries scare me.
24. Tomasino is a great pick for Nashville who could really use a center with top 6 upside.
25. I think McMichael at 25 is a bit high for me, but I can see why Washington went for him. Could be a middle six center in the league.
26. That's a big steal. I had him top 10, but at the least he should've gone top 20. Bravo Calgary.
27. Drafting Nolan Foote just to unite the brothers is a dumb idea. Foote is not a first round. He can rifle the puck, but can't skate well. This is just way too high for him.
28. Suzuki has his problems, but at 28 you certainly take that chance because the potential is there to be a top 6 forward.
29. Tracey this high is a reach. He played on a one line team which was easily the best line in the WHL. Not discrediting Tracey's ability, but he was a passenger on that line, not a driver.
30. Beecher is projectable. Easy to see him in the league.
31. I knew someone would grab Jonhson in the 1st. My big question is if his offence can take the next step forward. If not, he's still a good defensive defenseman. But to use a 1st round pick on him, you better hope the offense comes. If it does, he's very similar to Duncan Keith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad