News: Kevin Labanc and Sharks working to trade him

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What's up with this guy? Injuries? Just dogging it because he's not on a contender?
He's not attached to Joe Thornton feeding off third-linr competition anymore.

He's a winger without serious defensive capabilities, has lazy habits, has (had?) a good shot but is coached to be a playmaker, which he isn't especially good at doing. He's not fast, takes bad penalties, isn't especially creative, and doesn't protect the puck well.

He has been a legitimate NHL winger, but he's probably best on a third line, and maybe even that is no longer in his skill set

Reactions: Blueston

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Good luck, his salary is huge.
Even with retention teams will be apprehensive.

This isn’t like last years trade deadline where a team could be a third party for relatively cheap to lower the cap hit like Minnesota did with Ryan O’Reilly .

Dude makes $5.9 million in salary.

His Salary was the holdup in the Tyler Myers trade, Vancouver said we’ll do the trade before the bonus, and you guys get to sell Myers at the deadline, but after Vancouver paid his bonus they said, no thanks to paying labanc that type of money.
Still don’t understand why Grier didn't do that deal.

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
not saying I would want him or anything, but I could see a reimer for retention labanc so we could make room in our goalie room for a bigger trade to get markstrom or something. Maybe include labanc in the trade to get markstrom too! that'd be wild.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Poster boy for not taking a team friendly deal to help with teams cap situation

Legendary blunder by him and his agent that was...

He still got his money but certainly a risk had there been a GM change. For those who don't remember, Labanc signed a 1 year deal for 1 million in 2019-20 followed by a 4 year deal for 18.9 million. I more or less just lumped that all together as a 5 year deal for 19.9 million for a 23/24 year old winger coming off a 56 point season. He still got paid, just had to wait a year for the big bucks.

Instead of having a ~4 mil AAV in year 1, he helped out the Sharks who were counting on the cap increasing. Unfortunately the pandemic/flat cap happened and that contract aged even worse.

If I need a laugh, I'll dig up a summer 2019 thread on the Devils board. Some impatient fans wanted to offer sheet Labanc and fork over a 1st+3rd.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This is a guy who had back-to-back 100 point OHL seasons for all those people who think their team's prospect who's killing it in juniors is gonna be a stud in the NHL.

Can't even crack the top-9 of this sharks offence.

Nah the NHLe player card for my favorite junior scoring star from Twitter don’t lie! First line star potential! The chart says so!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's not attached to Joe Thornton feeding off third-linr competition anymore.

He's a winger without serious defensive capabilities, has lazy habits, has (had?) a good shot but is coached to be a playmaker, which he isn't especially good at doing. He's not fast, takes bad penalties, isn't especially creative, and doesn't protect the puck well.

He has been a legitimate NHL winger, but he's probably best on a third line, and maybe even that is no longer in his skill set
I'd argue that he was a playmaker that a had a good playmaker's shot that was shoehorned into being a shooter and lost the playmaking creativity as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad